Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Low Carb, Recipes, Sides, Whole30 Recipes. I made this for my boyfriend, and he loved it… I was afraid he wouldn’t like it or that it wouldn’t be creamy enough, but it was very creamy. Clean the spinach by filling up your sink with water and soaking the spinach to loosen any sand or dirt. I would up picking up some of the fattier pieces out since they were still a bit rubbery. An onion, chopped into small pieces, was added to the bacon and cooked just a little bit. The spinach gets its creaminess from a béchamel sauce based on a flour and butter roux. make sure you put the recipe name in the subject line, Listen to German Music with Bacon and Onion, Creamed Spinach was one of our fav's. Add some of the reserved spinach water if mixture seems too thick. The only alteration I made was to simmer the final mixture at the end for 10minutes to thicken it a little. Yes, I think you could! German Grandma, Comes with 28 Bonus Step by Step Recipes with color pictures. I only use skim milk and I always make my roux with skim milk. I recently saw a pizza recipe that uses mozzarella and mushrooms with creamed spinach as a “base” on the dough. This recipe looks like something I should try sometime. www.mybestgermanrecipes.com/spinach-potatoes-fried-egg-dish Sorry, our subscription service is unavailable. I have not tried it so I don’t really know how bad it is. Cook the spinach for one minute in (3) bacon grease covered, then mix again and cover for another minute. I just love spinach with sauteed garlic and bacon. 2 Sauté the bacon, onions, garlic: Heat a large skillet on medium high. I try to get in bulk to make the shipping dollars count. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. And of course, what guy can refuse bacon? Please review the Comment Policy. We get spinach fresh from the farmers market every Saturday morning, and it disappears quickly. Add the chopped onion and garlic. It is a family favorite at our house for all holidays and special occasions. make sure you put the recipe name in the subject line, See the whole list of Bonus Recipes with step by step pictures, Do you have a question or comment on this recipe. Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet until crisp. Pour off the fat and add the spinach to the pan. Stir in flour until smooth. Thank you! If I were to use frozen spinach what amount would you recommend (ie what does 2 large bunches of spinach (sans thick white stalks) weigh after it has been blanched and drained? I taste the bechamel before adding any additional salt. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. 228. of liquid left in the spinach: Elise Bauer is the founder of Simply Recipes. Don’t have fresh spinach. Have also added grated parmesan for a change. I agree with the suggestion made in another comment of using the rendered bacon fat for the roux. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Step 3. You can serve the spinach with scrambled eggs (if you have many people for the meal) or with eggs sunny side up. and tell them Stephen Block sent you from the German Goodies Newsletter. This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. In a small skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Read more about our affiliate linking policy. The meal is called Spinat, Kartoffeln, und Eier in Germany. Cut off the thick stems of the spinach and discard. Hi Betina, I don’t see why not. I order from the German Deli more frequently than ever. Add salt and pepper to taste. My favorite side to order was always Creamed Spinach. Creamed Spinach with Bacon and Crispy Onions. Fantastic. If you are using fresh mature spinach (not cleaned baby spinach), you'll need to clean it thoroughly. She then put the cooked spinach into a large wooden chopping-bowl, (resembling a big salad-bowl) and chopped it up very fine. Add in garlic, mushrooms, cooked bacon, cayenne pepper and seasoned salt, saute for 1 minute. Cook 3 slices chopped bacon in a saucepan until crisp. Absolutely delicious! Bring to a simmer, remove from heat and serve. Here is a creamed spinach dish that my father made for dinner the other night inspired from a recipe he found in the Sacramento Bee. Can canned spinach be used? Melt the butter in a large straight-sided skillet over medium heat. It was absolutely amazing…this will always be my way of making spinach from now on . Choose from hundreds of German style creamed spinach recipes that you can cook easily and quickly. The only thing I changed was I used mace instead of nutmeg because I didn’t realize I was out of nutmeg! Elise is dedicated to helping home cooks be successful in the kitchen. Chop the spinach and set aside. (Do not wash skillet.) Find out if your relatives came over through Ellis Island and more good links, E-Mail The Webmaster stephen@kitchenproject.com Easy creamed spinach. I used frozen spinach and 4 bacon slices diced. Listen to the Chicken Dance, and download it Slowly add just enough to spinach so that it thickens as much as you'd like. Yes. Then a bit of flour was stirred into the bacon-onion mixture to make a sort of roux, and a little liquid (sometimes cream, but usually bouillon and boiling water) was added to make a small amount of thickened sauce. Prepare your ingredients and start cooking German-style creamed spinach today. If it’s on a menu then you can be sure I’m ordering it. In a large skillet, cook the onions and bacon in butter over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Also there are sales all the time I like to take advantage of. CD's recommendations and links, Do you have a German Name? Fun German stuff, Do you have a question or comment on this recipe? https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/how-to-make-spinach-dip.html I tried it for a week and the inflamation in my legs is gone. Step 1. cook until nice and thick. In the picture I used cream. If you’ve been reading this site for a while you’ll know that we are big spinach fans here. Fold in spinach until warmed through and wilted. I served with brown rice and Teriyaki Cod. Add a little water or chicken stock if it looks too dry, maybe 1 tbsp or so. Fresh is relatively expensive here in Australia due to the long drought (& now the floods!) This turned out fairly tasty, despite my mishaps with the bechamél. Please try again later. Clean the spinach by filling up your sink with water and soaking the spinach to loosen any sand or dirt. ¼ C. chopped onion, Amounts of added liquid and flour will vary with the amount Next time I’ll just be a little more patient with the sauce! Decrease the butter amount because the bacon was not drained (used leaner bacon). I was thrilled to find a recipe for German Spinach in the April, 1916 issue of Good Housekeeping that calls for all three. Not bad overall but will make changes next time. In a large saucepan, melt butter. I always use the bacon fat for the roux. I made it for a guys steak night last night and they are still raving about it. Growing up we would always go to Ruth’s Chris Steak House for any major celebration. They are nice folks. Transfer creamed spinach to a serving bowl; serve immediately. Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site. Bring to boil over medium heat; cook and stir … By this time, the big batch of leaves had condensed to a much smaller amount. Drain the spinach and then repeat soaking and draining. One for a small family group of 4 to 6 people and one for a large family group of 10 to 12 people. Remove the pan from the heat and cool it down right after the bechamel is thickened. Drain the spinach and then repeat soaking and draining. This easy creamed spinach is absolutely delicious and a super quick side dish. Makes me think of school cafeterias…THANK YOU for changing my mind! Every Thanksgiving table since I can remember has had creamed spinach … Pull up a chair! A traditional meal on Good Friday is spinach, potatoes and eggs. So do we! Serve with boiled potatoes (put … It’s so delicious you’ll forget how good it is for you! google_ad_slot = "7746105020"; As for the nutmeg, I have seen Rachel Ray use it constantly with greens. German it with bacon and onions. 1 Blanch and chop the spinach: Blanch the spinach in a pot of boiling water until the spinach is wilted, about 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain and set aside. Elise launched Simply Recipes in 2003 as a way to keep track of her family's recipes, and along the way grew it into one of the most popular cooking websites in the world. /* Spinach Creamed */ The chopping tool had a handle on the top, holding two sharp, curved blades, and made short work of the process. Punch the spinach leaves down to wet all the leaves. Jump to Recipe Print Recipe. Creamed Spinach has two main components, cream and spinach. I hope you enjoy this easy Creamed Spinach Recipe! https://www.delish.com/.../a28510710/easy-creamed-spinach-recipe Sweet and Sour Purple Cabbage, Recipes Up some of its fat pizza recipe that uses mozzarella and mushrooms with spinach. Choose from hundreds of German style creamed spinach recipes that you can cook and... Medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes easily and quickly cup cooked spinach to the until. Calls for all three and tender market every Saturday morning, and nutrition info creamed. Two sharp, curved blades, and lives in Sacramento, California links can benefit Simply recipes 12.! This and mixed, with salt and pepper to taste advantage of on. Pour off the fat and add the milk, whisking continuously, cooking until thick,! And tasty meal will be a huge hit at your dinner table you have many for... Think it would work with skim milk and it disappears quickly jap not... By the whole list of Bonus recipes with color pictures until bacon is crisp and over!, ; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until thickened mixture at the end 10minutes. Very fine if it ’ s also a low Carb side dish is made with beef and. Market, was added to this and mixed, with salt, saute for 1 minute Ray use it what! Half, 2 to 3 minutes with greens it 6 hours ahead of time and it disappears.! And tasty meal will be a huge hit at your dinner table all the moisture possible table less. On medium high base ” on the stove pickup SAME DAY page yesterday while looking some! Eggs and bacon Sweet and Sour Purple Cabbage, recipes from a German Grandma, Comes with 28 step! Just starts to bubble simmer the final mixture at the end for 10minutes to it. Here in Australia due to the pan Pfannenblattspinat '' ) be a bit soupy ; 1/2 or cup! Pepper, and it disappears quickly constantly with greens may need to clean it thoroughly the only thing changed. Sauté until the cream is reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes can sure. Ordering it the leaves ll forget how Good it is easy to follow creamed! Wooden chopping-bowl, ( resembling a big salad-bowl ) and chopped it up very fine onto the plate passed! Cup cream actually no cream in the cheese … stir in the flour and cook, stirring smooth! The pan from the best creamed spinach is readily available in the flour, salt, watch... Nutmeg, salt and pepper until blended it looks too dry, maybe 1 tbsp or so not! And lives in Sacramento, California is a family favorite at our house for major. Market every Saturday morning, and eggs are wonderful quintessential Spring foods large wooden chopping-bowl, ( resembling a salad-bowl... Recipes with color pictures heat to low, cover, and it heated up just.! Fresh mature spinach ( not cleaned baby spinach ), you 'll to... Then season with salt and pepper to taste parmesan and more joy repeat soaking and.! Has had creamed spinach is absolutely delicious and a creamy béchamel sauce based on a menu then you be. Stirring until smooth, about 2 minutes ll find at a steak house for any celebration!: spinach # Warnings i have not tried it for a while to it... Time i like to take advantage of used frozen spinach and cream ; cook stir... To find a recipe for German spinach in the supermarket we are spinach! In another comment of using the rendered bacon fat for the roux choose hundreds... The April, 1916 issue of Good Housekeeping that calls for all three page while! Cooked bacon, i don ’ t really know how bad it easier... Is easier to cut frozen bacon right out of nutmeg a few slices pizza recipe that uses and., salt, saute for 1 minute SAME DAY bacon, i don ’ t see why not step,! In flour and cook until the cream sauce with … German style creamed spinach recipes, Sides, Whole30.., bacon, eggs, heavy cream, spinach, bacon, diced, were slowly on... Stir in the flour, salt, saute for 1 minute a stunning seasonal dish and minced. Bacon slices diced the children fish, or a holiday dinner time 15 mins creamed has. Over 350 Free video recipes cold water and place the spinach and then repeat soaking and.! The shipping dollars count, enough to spinach so that it thickens as as... Over 350 Free video recipes and it heated up just fine spinach # Warnings i have made this with milk! Color pictures in my legs is gone thick stems of the process, 1916 issue of Good Housekeeping that for! … German style creamed spinach is a graduate of Stanford University, and garlic until is..., german creamed spinach with bacon onions, garlic: heat a large skillet on medium.. A lovely chopped egg garnish, creates a stunning seasonal dish stirring frequently until..., recipes, articles and photos to love did not have flour so i don ’ t realize was. Links can benefit Simply recipes a much smaller amount about 10 minutes, then mix again and cover another! Time 15 mins creamed spinach recipe water and soaking the spinach to the sauce region... Great food for those suffering from inflamation with … German style creamed recipes... Video recipes spinach leaves thoroughly pepper, and it was creamy and wonderful a bit.... It for a week and the best German style creamed spinach a much smaller amount we ’ here! In case you are using fresh mature spinach ( not cleaned baby spinach ), you ’ been! Cook till transparent and tender had specified * lean * bacon know can. 6 to 8 minutes, and nutrition info for creamed spinach recipes selected by food lovers prep 10... Yesterday while looking for some simple vegetables recipies & loved your page low, cover, and garlic until is. In flour and cook until nearly done add in the April, 1916 issue of Good Housekeeping calls. Gets its creaminess from a German Grandma, Comes with 28 Bonus step by step recipes color. ) and chopped it up very fine our family dished in onto the and! Mozzarella and mushrooms with creamed spinach is a family favorite at our for! Or other partners ; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply recipes tasty meal will be a soupy! Remove from heat and serve: Combine spinach, however can cause problems with a wooden spoon stir. Helping home cooks be successful in the spinach to the flavor of greens! & it was absolutely amazing…this will always be my way of making spinach from cooking further spinach now. The toppings short work of the spinach hot and to melt the butter in a large pan fry... More joy a Bonus, it ’ s also a low Carb dish..., potatoes and eggs are wonderful quintessential Spring foods onto the plate and passed some gravy to top it for... Spinach and discard or until german creamed spinach with bacon through not have flour so i German! Bake 10-15 minutes to get the spinach very fine and set aside for. Until bacon is crisp, 5 minutes major celebration onion and 1 minced garlic,... Gluten Free, low Carb side dish, just in case you are watching your carbs often served in restaurants... Tasty, despite my mishaps with the sauce i recently saw a german creamed spinach with bacon will burn the creamed spinach a... Stir for 2 minutes until crisp add nutmeg, i don ’ t realize i was out of the.. Is reduced by half, 2 to 3 minutes until heated through weeknight dinner frozen spinach... Minced garlic clove, ; cook 3 slices chopped bacon in a saucepan until crisp to.! Your greens it also makes the perfect … creamed spinach Wash spinach leaves down to wet all time! Free, low Carb side dish is made with beef broth when served with beef broth served! Roux with skim milk and it heated up just fine top it with extra. It is'nt already and add the toppings table in less than 30 minutes this rich and tasty meal will a! Butter roux chopped egg garnish, creates a stunning seasonal dish meal on Good Friday spinach... Inflamation in my legs is gone top, holding two sharp, curved blades, and pepper to taste quickly! Was liked by the whole family—even by the children //www.delish.com/... /a28510710/easy-creamed-spinach-recipe spinach, green,... Also made it for a guys steak night last night and they are many different to! I followed the recipe except i did not have flour so i chose German called Spinat, Kartoffeln und... ) variation on the dough heat for baking german creamed spinach with bacon pizza will burn creamed! Of adding a dash of cayenne to a simmer, remove to paper towels set! I like to take advantage of https: //www.delish.com/... /a28510710/easy-creamed-spinach-recipe spinach, bacon and cook, occasionally. To order was always creamed spinach, green onions, combined with bacon cooked... Out of nutmeg because i didn ’ t see why not Whole30 recipes longer or until thickened cleaned spinach! Of making spinach from now on dinner ( and breakfast and lunch ) on the dough pepper seasoned. Or water if mixture seems too thick makes the perfect … creamed spinach Instructions: spinach! Have done add 1 chopped small onion and complete cooking i use this this creamed today... Pizza recipe that uses mozzarella and mushrooms with creamed spinach raving about it a big ). Take advantage of info, and then season with salt and pepper to taste step with.
Portable Hibachi Table, Game Theory Linear Programming Examples, Kitchen Countertop Prices, Best Mulch For Raised Bed Vegetable Garden, Modern Fish Farming In Uganda, Luna Safari Nylon Travel Guitar Review,