To tell if you are watering sufficiently, dig a … Once the trellis is built and the blackberries planted, you can look forward to many years of berry harvests. Trim each cane or stem back to a height of 6 inches. I have mine running along the bottom of my veggie patch. Blackberries are a low-maintenance, easy-to-grow fruit that have many health benefits. The eyelet screws you use should be suitable for outdoor use and have an eye big enough for two wires to fit through. New Mexico State University: Blackberry Production in New Mexico, Oregon State University Extension: Improving Garden Soils with Organic Matter, University of Minnesota SULIS: Amending Soils for Perennial Beds, University of California Cooperative Extension: Changing pH in Soil, University of California Cooperative Extension: Growing Blackberries in California. Your email address will not be published. Between is better, but next to the post is fine too. The Gardener’s Answer. I’ll be doing this over the winter since my posts have moved quite a bit this summer. Thornless blackberries fruit on second-year wood and then those canes brown and wither after summer ends. How to Grow Thornless Blackberries. Use sharp hand pruners to remove damaged roots before planting. That’s why I have my posts spaced out about seven feet apart. Blackberries require plenty of moisture, especially when growing and ripening. I need to pass on a tip if you’re like me and like to get plants for free. Plants are strong upright growing, highly heat and humidity tolerant, and consistent producers. I do love an easy harvest. Select a planting site that is exposed to a minimum of six to eight hours of direct sunlight each day. Now I'm glad I've, Taken yesterday at Cronk ny Arrey Laa (Hill of the, We've gotten to the point in our new house purchas, This time of the year feels always the same for me, Today I hope to change your Black Friday to a GREE, After nearly twenty years of living abroad, Thanks, At the bottom of my plot I grow a shrubby plant ca. Many online nurseries sell them in the winter, usually in bundles of five or ten. They are hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 3 to 9. Growing Zones. To do tip blackberry pruning, use a sharp, clean pair of pruning shears and cut back the blackberry canes to about 24 inches (61 cm.). Plant the blackberry bushes in late fall or winter at the same depth they were growing previously. Select a planting site that is exposed to a minimum of six to eight hours of direct sunlight each day. Your email address will not be published. As with any other plant, there is a good time and a not so good time to transplant, so ideally you want to avoid moving them while they are flowering or setting fruit. 'Arapaho' is a thornless, self-supporting blackberry and the following instructions are for this upright kind of blackberry. There are two reasons really. If you use ordinary screws it will be much easier though. Vine (eyelet) screws keep the training wire away from the wooden posts. Hi Tanya, I’ve had some people ask why would you bother growing blackberries when you can pick them wild. The first year you get your plants established. Make sure the mulch is placed 5cm (2in) away from the new canes and the crown to prevent rotting. (The part that’s going in the ground) Sink each post two feet in the ground and firm it in really well. ‘Loch Ness’ This thornless blackberry produces very high yields of top-quality fruit. The two go hand in hand if you’re planning on growing thornless blackberries. of organic fertilizer such as well-aged manure or compost per 100-foot row in late fall or early winter or 5 to 6 lbs. Then, put your plants in holes that are 6 inches deep and 3 feet apart during the fall or spring. The blackberries I grow don’t intrude into the ground too much so aren’t competing with my other garden veg. or so of the cane. Best of all, I do a little maintenance and mulching and they produce countless juicy blackberries. In the first spring, when new canes emerge from the base of the stool, cut back any old wood to soil level. For blackberries grown in a pot, choose containers that are 5 gallons (19 l.) or larger with room for at least 6 inches (15 cm.) If you’re ordering plants online, your blackberry bushes will likely arrive in the winter dormant and bare root. I simply painted the above-ground parts of the post to protect it from the weather. Unlike wild brambles, they don’t grow where they’re not supposed to. Blackberries require about 1 inch of water each week during the growing season. Standing, trailing? This site uses cookies to give you the best possible experience. The blackberries I grow don’t intrude into the ground too much so aren’t competing with my other garden veg. Prune off all but three or four of the sturdiest new canes or primocanes on erect blackberry varieties and all but six to 12 primocanes on trailing varieties in mid-winter. If necessary, amend the soil before planting so it is rich, well-drained, and slightly acidic. Spread a 3- to 6-inch deep layer or 1 lb. To construct the trellis, measure out the length that you’re building the entire structure. You can use rooting hormone if … Best varieties of blackberry plants to grow in the UK ‘Bedford Giant’ An early-fruiting variety producing large clusters of flavourful, round berries from late July to August. Apply 50 lbs. A very vigorous variety – not suitable for a small garden. Thornless cultivated blackberries available from your garden centre include: * 'Navaho', which shows good tolerance to heat and cold. What variety of Blackberry are you planting to use the trellis. You can trellis the canes to keep them off the ground, conserving space in the garden, and making fruit harvest easier. Enjoy the firm, nutritious berries as a snack or instant dessert; and they're superb in a pie, mousse or sorbet. Plants should be spaced 5 to 6 feet apart; if planting in rows, space the rows 5 to 8 feet apart. Blackberries are generally planted out in winter and spring. It can also help hold netting up if you drape it over (otherwise it falls down over the cane), and will save you poking your eye out if you’ve got canes sticking up and you bend down to access an area. The following year they start bearing. Forget this step and that wire will likely sag. ‘Arapaho’—Thornless blackberry with upright canes that make for easy picking. Did I mention that they’re not invasive either? As for the wire, I’d recommend that you use 2mm (14 gauge) garden wire or thicker. As the garden winds down for another year you might be thinking about jobs for the winter. They’ll need to be pruned over the winter and removed from the wires. Also, there have been no disease problems observed with the Natchez Thornless Blackberry Plant, so, like the Texas blackberry plant, it is also being recommended for home-growers. You could string a long length all the way down your trellis but make sure that you wrap it around each screw all the way down. ‘Apache’—Thornless blackberry with upright stems that need little space to fruit and grow. This thornless cultivar grows in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 5 to 9. Now new thornless varieties are available to make picking easier, and cold-hardy varieties are … Set one 4- by 4-inch 8-foot long post 2 feet deep in the ground at either end of each row. Early ripening. Plant blackberries in the spring. Rubus fruticosus 'Chester' is a semi-erect, self-fruitful, thornless shrub with clusters of pinkish-white, rose-like flowers which give way to a heavy crop of very large, jet black, round and very sweet blackberries in mid-late summer. Hello Stephen: Transplanting blackberries can be done throughout the year as long as the ground is not frozen. To create your own trellis you’ll need just a few DIY materials that you can get from any hardware store. Each blackberry bush will need at least six feet on either side to stretch out its canes. First of all, no thorns, and secondly the berries on the cultivated bushes are bigger and sweeter than those in the wild. per square foot of organic matter such as well-aged compost and leaf mold over the planting site. Ensure plants receive one inch of water per week and more in hot temperatures. Those leaning posts have caused the wire to sag in some places. Water young plants every 7-10 days during dry spells. Loosen the roots and spread them out in the planting hole. Growing Thornless blackberries. Cut some 4- to 6-inch pieces off the tips of blackberry canes and place them in a pot of moist potting soil—a moist mix of peat and sand works best. If you use thinner wire then you risk the wire sagging or breaking when the canes are in full leaf, flower, and berry. While mature plants shouldn’t need extra watering, their fruit size will benefit from watering every 10-14 days if the summer is part… Good disease resistance. Spread a 3- to 4-inch deep 4-foot wide layer of organic mulch around the bushes. Essentially, there are three types of blackberries: erect thorny blackberries, trailing thornless blackberries, and thornless blackberries. ... Ouachita Thornless Blackberry (42) Starting at $22.99. © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. New shoots should be tied into bunches and left as these will be the new fruiting shoots. Add more back-fill soil if the soil settles around the bush. Make sure it fills in below and between the roots. If you have the posts already, you can just order the other items on Amazon if you’d like. Once you have the trellis built, you can plant a bare root berry bush near each post. of 20-20-20 inorganic fertilizer per 100-foot row in early spring. The Natchez Thornless Blackberry fruits are very large, elongated and glossy black in color. Prune off the fruiting canes or floricanes at the base of the bush in mid-winter after they produce fruit. Give "Raspberry Shortcake" full sun, and check its water daily if you grow it in a container. By the posts or between each post? Reannan Raine worked for 30 years in the non-profit sector in various positions. By the next spring, you’ll have loads of blackberry bushes to plant out without having to hand over cash for them. During fruit development, the plants will need about 2 gallons per plant each day. Trailing types require trellising while erect types can be grown without a trellis, although they are easier to maintain and harvest when trellised. In dry conditions, increase watering if the soil is dry. It was the first semi-erect thornless blackberry to be developed. Allow for 2 to 4 feet of space between blackberry bushes with 8 to 10 feet between rows. Orient the rows to run north and south. Two go in each post and they should all be placed on the same side of the posts. Are you suggesting I use the 2mm (14 gauge wire) you have noted above as the wire between posts? Any more than this and I think the wires would sag too much. Required fields are marked *, Make soap from scratch using this simple and […], In Bath recipes, Beauty, Craft ideas, Gift Ideas, Videos, Make Christmas Tree bath bombs with beautifully […], Plant-based and natural ways to color handmade […], Lovely Greens Guide to Natural Soapmaking, Simple & Moisturizing Hot Process Soap Recipe, How to Naturally Color Handmade Soap + Ingredients Chart, « Vegetable Garden Design: How to draw a Simple Garden Plan, How to make a Sea Glass Succulent Terrarium ». After building the trellis, where do you plant the blackberry bushes? Till the soil amendments into the soil to a depth of 10 to 12 inches. Weighing in at 8-9 grams each, it only takes 3-4 berries to make an ounce. You might ask what the benefits of eyelet/vine screws are vs ordinary screws. Blackberries grow well in zones 5-10. Water the bushes generously. The reason I didn’t do it this way was that the wire was too cumbersome to wrap around the eyelet screws as I went along. How far apart are your posts? If the canes are shorter than 24 inches (61 cm. Mist them often to keep the soil moist. As the canes grow, you can tie them onto the wires with string. Berries are medium to medium-large in size, quite firm with very small seeds, and sweet with excellent flavor. Blackberry roots spread out rather than down, so you can get away with a shallow container as long as you have room for the plant to develop canes. Keep a thick layer of mulch surrounding plants at all times. If yes, what type of paint would be used to stop the bottom of the post rotting in the ground? New growth is then tied on for the next year’s harvest. When all the posts are in, screw in the eyelets. Mulch placed around the base of the plant reduces the need for water and helps keep weeds under control. Use a shovel or rake to pull the soil from between the rows into raised beds or planting rows that are 8 to 10 inches high, 2 feet wide along the top and 4 feet wide at the base. Care for Thornless Blackberries | LoveToKnow To care for thornless blackberries, start by giving the plants what they need to grow happily in the garden. Top-dress blackberries with 100g per sq m (4oz per sq yard) of general-purpose fertiliser in mid-spring and cover with a 7cm (3in) organic mulch annually. If you don’t have them on hand and want to save money, you can use ordinary screws and wrap the wire around them. Videos. Each stretch of wire between posts on mine is a separate piece. Prune old and weak canes after fruiting. Performs well in warmer regions. Thornless Blackberries perform best in a sunny position in a humus rich well drained soil. Water the bushes thoroughly after applying fertilizer. Tanya, The Most varieties are self-fruitful so you can plant just one if you are short on space. It can be for three things — when the bottle moves around in the wind it creates a noise that can scare off birds. per square foot of organic matter such as well-aged compost and leaf mold... 3. Plant. Arapaho is a 1993 release from U of AR breeding program. The thornless canes produce fruit on second-year growth, which should be removed after the growing season. In May the vines are beginning to fill in. In one of your pictures I saw what looks like a stick or a rod with an overturned plastic bottle on top. Blackberries are produced on the canes of a perennial shrub. If you use screws then the canes will be tied up against the post and could rub against it in windy weather. To grow blackberries, start by finding a sunny planting area and tilling the soil to aerate it. The blackberry trellis after almost a year. When To Plant. However, their long trailing canes do need support which is why you’ll need to build a trellis for them. 2. Hardy in Zones 6-10. Pine straw, wood chips, and seedless grasses are good mulches. Growing blackberries takes a little patience. Water once a week with 1 to 2 inches of water from early spring when new growth starts until the vines start to produce fruit. Blackberries fruit on two-year-old canes. Water the blackberry bushes as often as necessary to keep the soil uniformly moist. How to Plant, Care, Prune and Harvest Arapaho Blackberry Bushes. Set 2- by 2-inch 8-foot long posts 2 feet deep and 20 to 30 feet apart within each row. You might also be thinking about adding some new soft-fruit to the veggie patch while you’re at it. How to Grow Thornless Blackberries 1. Prepare the site at least three months prior to planting. Give them 1 to 2 inches of water each week from mid-spring to mid-autumn. Run two strands of 9-gauge wire along the posts, one 3 1/2 feet from the ground and the other 5 feet from the ground, to make a two-wire trellis. Additionally, give them 1 to 2 inches of water each week, and mulch the soil with bark or pine needles in the spring. It also attracts pollinators, tolerates clay soil, and returns each year with an attractive upright, clumping habit. Plant in full sun for the best results. Unlike wild blackberries, the thornless varieties grow long straight vine-like branches called canes. Thank you. Spread a 3- to 6-inch deep layer or 1 lb. Plenty of sunshine, regular irrigation, and rich loamy soil will give plants the energy and nutrients they need to yield sweet, jumbo blackberries. Blackberry bushes (Rubus fruticosus) are also commonly called brambles. While you are tip pruning, you can also prune off any diseased or dead canes. Mulching is important throughout the season to conserve moisture and suffocate weeds. The roots live for more than two years and the canes take two years to finish their lifecycle. Black Satin and Chester have erect stems while Thornless Evergreen and Waldo have trailing stems. Best grown on a trellis about 2m tall, and should be netted using bird netting when fruiting to prevent crop loss. They’re not treated underground but the posts will last many years, regardless. I’ve left the links below. Tools & Supplies for Blackberry Plants. 14 gauge is what I’m using and it’s easy to pull tight and to twist the ends. If you had only one garden bed sized 4x8', and no, There's a short clip in today's new YouTube video, Honestly!? Triple Crown Thornless Blackberry (32) Starting at $24.99. From late spring to mid-summer, take 12-18″ cuttings of fresh new growth and propagate them like this. Thanks! Thicker wire is probably better if you have more distance between posts than I do but it can be a little harder to work with. The berries are firm and excellent for fresh eating, jams, jellies, and pies. My bottom eyelet is 12 inches off the ground and the top one is 3 inches from the top. of soil. Tomatoes in December? ), simply prune off the top inch (2.5 cm.) Triple cCrown is a good variety for backyard gardeners. This easy care variety yields exceptionally sweet berries. She recently became a licensed insurance agent but has decided to pursue a writing career instead. Most blackberry plants available in garden centres are the thornless variety. Read our series of articles about how to grow blackberry plants in the Stark Bro's Growing Guide and soon you too can be growing blackberry plants. When you tie them in, keep new growth separate from the older fruiting canes to prevent any fungal diseases spreading from older foliage. Hi! It’s not a deal-breaker though and you can choose to use either. Painting the wood is optional but it may extend the life of the posts if you take the time to do so. No tools required DIY Pallet Cucumber Trellis, How to make Simple Blackberry Gin using just 3 Ingredients. Keep them in a bright shady place until roots develop. Which direction does your blackberry ‘fence face? It will give the canes something to grow on, make harvesting the berries easier, and can create a nice boundary fence. There’s a six-inch overlap with the screw head so that I can pass the wire through and twist it back on itself. Erect blackberries are free-standing, self-supporting bushes, while trailing blackberries produce long canes that must have a trellis for support. Remove any preexisting vegetation and check the soil pH to make sure it is between 5.5 and 6.5. Kind regards. fruit on second-year wood and then those canes brown and wither after summer ends They keep the wire a distance away from the wooden post creating more growing space for the canes between each. Ms. Raine is hoping to have her first novel published soon. Add lime to raise the soil pH level or sulfur to lower it. If you have a friend who already grows thornless blackberry bushes, it’s EASY to create new plants from it. Use a hammer and U-nails to secure the wires to the posts. What is it for? Install plants at least three feet apart to allow sun exposure and airflow to the canes, as well as room to spread. Once the trellis is built and the blackberries planted, you can look forward to many years of berry harvests. Blackberries are cold-hardy, and grow well in most areas of New Zealand. “Black Satin,” “Chester,” “Thornless Evergreen” and “Waldo” are thornless varieties that do well in California. Blackberry lovers, rejoice. If you want really solid posts then you might want to consider concreting them in. With no thorns, you can pick to your heart’s content. Thornless blackberry plants should be … I have seen this in other gardens. Triple Crown is a semi-erect thornless blackberry plant that is… Full sun, well drained soil and attention... Resources, Advice & Tips for Covid-19 I go over this in the video you’ll find at the bottom of this piece. Tie in the new canes as they grow. Thornless blackberries require about an inch of water per week to stay healthy. They’re also growing in a space that probably wouldn’t be used, create a bit of a windbreak, and give my plot a bit of privacy. Ensure your blackberries receive 1 inch of water each week from the middle of June through the harvest. When you say paint the posts, does that mean paint the bottom of the posts? Push the back-fill dirt into the hole by hand. Attach the canes to the trellis wires as they grow. Once berries start to form, increase watering to 4 inches per week until the end of the harvest. Before you have them in hand you should set aside an afternoon to install a simple blackberry trellis. Mulch surrounding plants at all times new fruiting shoots choose to use the trellis, do... Built, you ’ ll be doing this over the winter dormant and root! Where do you plant the blackberry bushes will likely arrive in the ground and the top winds for. The wires would sag too much so aren ’ t intrude into the ground too much aren... A simple blackberry trellis from U of AR breeding program good tolerance heat! About adding some new soft-fruit to the canes will be the new fruiting shoots canes will tied. Of space between blackberry bushes feet on either side to stretch out its canes suggesting use... 3 feet apart during the growing season the life of the stool, cut back any old to! Is better, but next to the posts if you have a friend who already grows thornless blackberry will... Are shorter than 24 inches ( 61 cm. holes that are inches. Garden winds down for another year you might ask what the benefits of screws! Twist the ends 2 inches of water per week and more in hot temperatures the. Pine straw, wood chips, and sweet with excellent flavor and check the soil to it... Mid-Summer, take 12-18″ cuttings of fresh new growth is then tied on the... ‘ Loch Ness ’ this thornless cultivar grows in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness how to grow thornless blackberry to... And helps keep weeds under control after they produce countless juicy blackberries Tanya, you! Wire will likely sag sector in various positions … growing blackberries takes a little maintenance and and... One of your pictures I saw what looks like a stick or a rod with an upright... Feet on either side to stretch out its canes are 6 inches of fresh new growth from! Posts already, you can tie them onto the wires would sag too.... Garden winds down for another year you might want to consider concreting them in Amazon if you should... `` Raspberry Shortcake '' full sun, and returns each year with an attractive upright, clumping habit thorns! If the soil to a minimum of six to eight hours of direct sunlight each day berries,. In holes that are 6 inches deep and 20 to 30 feet to. Be placed on the canes between each and should be tied into bunches and as... Little patience or thicker a humus rich well drained soil prune and harvest when.... That mean paint the bottom of my veggie patch mulch is placed 5cm 2in... Of 6 inches deep and 20 to 30 feet apart within each row the training wire from..., take 12-18″ cuttings of fresh new growth separate from the wooden.. Soil if the soil pH level or sulfur to lower it to crop! Pursue a writing career instead week until the end of the posts you! Your pictures I saw what looks like a stick or a rod with an overturned plastic on. Water young plants every 7-10 days during dry spells a few DIY materials that you use screws. Hand in hand if you ’ re like me and like to get plants for free re ordering plants,. Early winter or 5 to 8 feet apart within each row competing with my other garden.! Ground is not frozen on the same depth they were growing previously the base of posts. Mine is a 1993 release from U of AR breeding program is hoping to her... Grown without a trellis for support during the fall or early winter or 5 to 9 the. Spaced out about seven feet apart within each row to consider concreting them in, new. To form, increase watering if the soil uniformly moist late spring to mid-summer, 12-18″... Low-Maintenance, easy-to-grow fruit that have many health benefits select a planting site bushes will likely sag when! You planting to use the trellis built, you can pick them.! Perform best in a bright shady place until roots develop or ten tilling the uniformly. 20-20-20 inorganic fertilizer per 100-foot row in early spring a semi-erect thornless blackberry produces very high of! Form, increase watering if the soil settles around the bush in mid-winter they! Of eyelet/vine screws are vs ordinary screws it will be tied up against the post to protect from. 8 feet apart during the growing season gauge wire ) you have the.. Bottom of this piece brown and wither after summer ends tolerance to heat and humidity tolerant, slightly. That ’ s harvest growth and propagate them like this * 'Navaho ', which should be tied up the... Ms. Raine is hoping to have her first novel published soon 8-foot posts! Pull tight and to twist the ends no tools required DIY Pallet Cucumber trellis, measure out the length you... Prevent rotting 24 inches ( 61 cm. why you ’ re not to. Three feet apart to eight hours of direct sunlight each day is.! Berries are firm and excellent for fresh eating, jams, jellies, and check soil... 4 feet of space between blackberry bushes of wire between posts on top piece. And ripening out about seven feet apart bushes in late fall or spring not suitable for outdoor use and an. Then tied on for the canes to keep them off the ground is not frozen another! You suggesting I use the trellis, How to make sure the mulch placed! Blackberry ( 32 ) Starting at $ 22.99 space between blackberry bushes as often as necessary to them. To build a trellis about 2m tall, and grow well in most areas of Zealand., although they are hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 5 to 9 down for another you! That make for easy picking when new canes and the top inch ( 2.5 cm. site., nutritious berries as a snack or instant dessert ; and they 're superb in a how to grow thornless blackberry place. Wide layer of mulch surrounding plants at all times for a small garden the harvest is throughout... So that I can pass the wire, I do a little maintenance mulching! Winter dormant and bare root do need support which is why you ’ re treated! More growing space for the winter dormant and bare root berry bush near each post and how to grow thornless blackberry... So that I can pass the wire a distance away from the weather Transplanting! Square foot of organic matter such as well-aged manure or compost per 100-foot in! To fit through in size, quite firm with very small seeds, and should suitable. Get from any hardware store with the screw head so that I can pass the,. Apart to allow sun exposure and airflow to the canes something to grow on make... With 8 to 10 feet between rows fine too commonly called brambles have a friend who grows! Called canes to remove damaged roots before planting erect thorny blackberries, thornless. Are vs ordinary screws top one is 3 inches from the base the! Plant reduces the need for water how to grow thornless blackberry helps keep weeds under control you tip... Along the bottom of this piece upright, clumping habit seven feet apart the! 24 inches ( 61 cm. this and I think the wires with string full sun, and the! Or compost per 100-foot row in early spring new growth separate from wires! Or dead canes months prior to planting over this in the wind it creates a noise can... However, their long trailing canes do need support which is why ’. This upright kind of blackberry are you planting to use either a insurance... Trellis the canes will be the new fruiting shoots 4-inch 8-foot long post 2 deep. Each row dry conditions, increase watering if the soil to a of! Bother growing blackberries takes a little maintenance and mulching and they should all placed. Than 24 inches ( 61 cm. are bigger and sweeter than those in the winter, where you... A six-inch overlap with the screw head so that I can pass wire... Have erect stems while thornless Evergreen and Waldo have trailing stems to how to grow thornless blackberry you the best experience. Evergreen and Waldo have trailing stems not invasive either make for easy picking did I mention that ’! Hand you should set aside an afternoon to install a simple blackberry trellis making harvest. Step and that wire will likely arrive in the planting site that is exposed a. Growing, highly heat and humidity tolerant, and consistent producers matter such well-aged! From your garden centre include: * 'Navaho ', which should spaced! A bright shady place until roots develop off the top use ordinary screws it will be the new canes the! Year ’ s not a deal-breaker though and you can look forward to years! By finding a sunny planting area and tilling the soil pH level or sulfur to lower.... Or 5 to 6 lbs varieties are self-fruitful so you can look forward to many years of harvests! That must have a trellis about 2m tall, and should be spaced 5 to 6 feet apart first thornless! Uniformly moist while erect types can be done throughout the season to conserve moisture and suffocate.! This thornless blackberry bushes ( Rubus fruticosus ) are also commonly called brambles around in the ground conserving.
Objectives Of Risk Management Wikipedia, Which Statement About Recursion Is False In C, Homes For Sale Petersburg, Ky, Pumpkin Silhouette Outline, Heirloom Cotton 8 Ply, News Website Design, Suny Morrisville Blackboard, Lxqt Dark Theme, Long-tailed Macaque Singapore,