Providing approximately 90% of the power of the .30-06 in a smaller package, the cartridge soon became very popular and is now one of the most widely used big game hunting rounds in North America. All that being said, while the .308 probably has a slight edge here, both cartridges have the potential for excellent accuracy in the right hands. The 110 lb tracker said he wanted to shoot the 458 Lott after a dangerous game hunt. OK I’m gonna split the difference between the 30–30 and the 30.06. In fact, I’d wager that they’re both among the Top 10 (if not the Top 5) best selling rifle cartridges in the United States each year. The rifles you intend bringing along are subject to government rules and regulations as set out in the SAPS 520 section of this website. Regardless of their reasons though, the design team at Winchester went with that bullet diameter and the rest is history. Similar to the abundant ammunition choices available in .308 Winchester and .270 Winchester, there are also plenty of quality rifles manufactured in the two cartridges. Note: while the case capacity figures listed below do give a good indication of the differences between the three cartridges, exact case capacities vary slightly according to the brand of brass used. Within a few decades, the .270 Winchester was firmly entrenched as one of the most popular hunting cartridges used in the United States. Though there is quite a bit of overlap in barrel lengths, .270 rifles often have slightly longer barrels than .308 rifles. If you enjoy the versatility of a cartridge, the .300 Winchester may be one of the most flexible available. After all, the recoil of the .308 is very similar to the .270. That’s not a hard and fast rule though, and 22″ and 24″ barrels are very common for both cartridges. In summary, I had very good luck with my .308 downing elk and a couple bears but it’s too powerful for common deer at typical distances hunting the forests and foothills. Both are very common in bolt-action rifles. Do you hunt in areas where it might be necessary to take a longer range shot? Indeed, they’re both consistently among the most popular centerfire rifle cartridges used in the United States each year for good reason. Basically, there is no shortage of quality .270 Win and .308 Win factory ammunition suitable for hunting. How ever living on the east coast most shots are very short and there for would go with a 444 marlin, when shooting within 200 yd do not want a bullet that will travel miles. This is because the smaller diameter .270 Winchester shoots lighter bullets than the .308 and the .30-06. Table below compares the four different Federal Non-Typical Whitetail loads: 130gr (.372 BC) and 150gr (.261 BC) loads in .270 Winchester and 150gr (.313 BC) and 180gr (.382 BC) loads in .308 Winchester. The fact that the .270 and .308 each have very devoted fan clubs can also make it difficult to navigate the debate. Excepting 375 H&H and 375 Ruger, there’s a reason dangerous games cartridges aren’t generally any faster than about 2200-2300 fps. The best caliber for hunting big game in Africa will be debated for many years to come. Aside from the Browning BAR, the .270 Winchester is almost non-existent in semi-automatic rifles. The manufacturers mentioned are the ones we have first-hand experience with as the best ammunition for the best caliber for hunting big game in Africa. My shots rarely exceeded 125 yards or so in the foothill country that I hunted in central Wyoming. For most of the plains game on offer (up to an Eland), a 7mm, 308, 300, 338 Win. Those same characteristics also make it a very good choice for mountain goat in Canada or Himalayan Tahr and chamois while hunting in New Zealand. ... and plan on a lot more out of state hunting. Heavier, more stoutly-constructed bullets are almost universally better at penetration, given their lower velocities. Maximum pressure obtained from SAAMI (p171 and p172). Same thing (almost). 223/5.56 vs 7.62×39: Everything You Need To Know. While many were satisfied with the .30-06 from the start, wildcatters also quickly started modifying the cartridge for more specialized tasks. Left to right are the 308 Win., 30-’06 Springfield, 300 Win. We recommend the calibers per animal solely on what we have experienced over the past 24 hunting years. Recovery of the animal is a must. AND for most shooters. The .308 Winchester has the edge with these particular 150 grain loads, but there are also instances where certain 150 grain .270 Winchester loads have the edge in terms of trajectory, retained energy, and wind drift. Though only a few cartridges use .277″ bullets, the .270 is extremely popular and there’s a plethora of quality bullets to choose from. 130s have certainly proven their lethality over time, but I’m primarily a meat hunter, and I’ve been less than pleased with what 150 gr 308 does to meat. Giant South African Kudu, taken with GAP Non-Typical in 308 Win. There has been many moose found that were shot and never recovered by the hunter because of lack of a blood trail, so use what will drop it in its tracks or at least leave a good blood trail. By necking down the .30-06 case to shoot smaller diameter bullets, the designers of the .270 Winchester built a cartridge with a higher velocity, flatter trajectory, and less recoil than the .30-06 Springfield. Additionally, the Browning X-Bolt, Kimber Hunter, Mossberg Patriot, Nosler Liberty, Ruger American, Ruger Hawkeye, Savage Axis, Thompson Center Compass, Tikka T3, and Weatherby Vanguard are available in both calibers. The 6.5 Creedmoor is available in the AR-10 platform, but there aren’t many other semi-auto rifles available in … Like the .308, this old warrior uses bullets from 110 grains up 200 for the same game classes. The US Army began the search for a new rifle and cartridge after receiving a deadly demonstration of the capabilities of the revolutionary new Mauser rifle and 7mm Mauser cartridge in the hands of Spanish troops in Cuba during 1898. Case capacities for the .270 Win and .308 Win were obtained from Nosler. Good thing is with premium grade ammunition you can hunt African big game with smaller bullet weights. Or you can go more conventional and say .308. According to South African Law, a minimum of .375 caliber is required to hunt dangerous game. They are beautiful, graceful, and incredibly challenging to hunt. It exceeds the .308’s minimum energy ranges by about 50 yards and the MPBR by 10 – 15 yards. After a number of years in the African safari hunting business we have learned that a possible definition of the best caliber for hunting big game in Africa is rather simple: bring the rifle caliber or rifle calibers (you are allowed to bring two rifles) you feel most confident shooting with. Even though they have slightly different strengths and weaknesses, the .270 Winchester and .308 Winchester are outstanding rifle cartridges. He has hunted thousands of animals, from the biggest game to the very smallest. Areas of male or female exclusivity nonetheless exist, with hunting as the primary domain of men, and gathering as that of women (Winterhalder 2001: 26). As you can see in the photo below, the .270 Winchester and .308 Winchester cartridges have very different external dimensions. The Glenfield 30-30 is my main rifle for deer and wild hogs. On the contrary, other calibers like the 270, 308, 7 mm Rem Mag, 7 mm-08, 300 Win Mag and others have all been used with big success on our African hunting safaris. The .300 Win Mag, for example, using strongly constructed 220gr bullets, is suitable for kudu in bushveld conditions, while that very same cartridge using 165gr bullets (of practically any construction) can be used for hunting springbuck at long range on the desert plains. I like the 308 over the 270, but if I needed a vary long shot I would go with the 300 win mag. With regards to bullet selection, .308″ bullets in particular are very easy to find. Both are also great for similarly sized game like black bear, feral hogs, javelina, mule deer, and pronghorn as well as exotic game like axis, sika, and fallow deer. Those efforts bore fruit a few years later with the bolt action 1903 Springfield rifle chambered in the new .30-06 Springfield cartridge. The best Africa hunting starts when you push this button! We strive to create top professional quality … The data used to compare the trajectory and wind drift of the cartridges was obtained from Federal. This was due to a number of reasons, one of which was the fact that the .270 Winchester fired unusual size bullets. The original .270 Winchester load shot a 130 grain bullet at a velocity of 3,140 feet per second (2,846 ft-lbs of energy). The .270 Winchester has a significantly longer case length (2.54″ vs 2.015″) as well as overall length (3.34″ vs 2.81″). Precision has been in business since 1999. Virtually every major style of bullet is available in .270 and .308 as well like the Barnes TTSX, the Hornady ELD-X, GMX, InterBond, InterLock, SST, and V-Max, the Nosler AccuBond, AccuBond Long Range, Ballistic Tip, E-Tip, and Partition, the Remington Core Lokt, the Swift Scirocco and A-Frame, and the Winchester Power Point (just to name a few). Based on my shooting experiences, off the bench doing load development and in real-world hunting situations, I feel comfortable saying the .300 Win. Kudu and zebra are large-bodied and -boned animals, warthogs not so much, but everything in the predatory world of Africa clings tenaciously to life so I chose a classic caliber that has been downing African game for decades, 308 Winchester. Though the 7.62x51mm NATO had a very short lived career as the primary rifle cartridge for the US military, it’s still widely used by the military in machineguns and sniper/designated marksman rifles. Do not try and save cost by using non-premium grade ammunition. Species not Browm Bear I firmly believe that shot placement and the correct choice of ammunition plays a great role in all hunts know your rifles capability and your own limitations to insure humane kills respect the animals God has blessed us with to provide awesome meals for our families take great shots be patient teach the next generation about safety and our hunting tradition choose a rifle that your comfortable firing we are hunters not snipers respect our wildlife make great decisions clean humane kills with correct ammo for the animals you hunt, The 6.8 SPC is another mass produced, commercially available .277 caliber cartridge. So we said yes. A 308 or 30-06 will work the best with 180gr bullets for the 308 … 308 WINCHESTER Instead of .284″ bullets like the 7mm Mauser (and more recently developed cartridges like the 7mm-08, .280 Remington, .280 Ackley Improved, and 7mm Remington Magnum), the .270 Winchester used .277″ bullets which undoubtedly hampered adoption of the cartridge to a certain degree. Buy a great .308 Winchester hunting rifle here. I also think the heaviest bullet for the .308 should be no more than 165 grains. I used the Federal Ballistic calculator and ShootersCalculator.com to compare wind drift, the range each bullet goes subsonic, and recoil for the cartridges. Again, 270 is a fine cartridge, but whatever you shoot, you need to understand that cartridge’s limitations. Firearm license applications After a very controversial selection process, the Army eventually settled on the M-14 rifle and the new 7.62x51mm NATO cartridge. On the other hand, since it shoots heavier and larger diameter bullets, the .308 Winchester has a clear advantage when hunting larger species moose, elk, and caribou. However, we consider the 30-06 as the best all-round caliber for hunting plains game in Africa. However, we look at smaller body antelope, medium size antelope and then the big guys. Warthog hunted by Corno van Rooyen with a 3006 Spring , loaded with a 180gr Peregrine BushMaster bullet from 43 yards , quartering forward . Corbon DPX 168 grain back to Hunting gallery. Nyala, kudu, bushbuck and plains game hunting in South Africa’s Kwazulu-Natal region. This does not mean there are several other manufacturers of premium grade ammunition. 270 is a nice cartridge; however, I think if the 280 Rem had come out at the same time, the 270W would be a footnote in history. For instance, though it’s possible to find .308 ammo shooting bullets weighing as little as 110 grains, most .308 Winchester factory loads designed for big game hunting use heavier weight bullets in the 150 grain to 180 grain range. It is … Both cartridges are also well suited for handloaders and reloading components for both cartridges are widely available. However, the flat trajectory and resistance to wind drift of the .270 Winchester makes it a really good choice for game that might require a longer shot such as pronghorn or mule deer. Interestingly enough, while the .270 Winchester eventually became a gigantic commercial success for the company, aside from the .270 Winchester Short Magnum (270 WSM), the .270 Weatherby Magnum, and the 6.8 Remington SPC, virtually no other mass produced cartridges use .277″ bullets. Do you want to hunt larger game animals like kudu, eland, red stag, elk, or moose? However, the folks at Winchester went the opposite route and necked down the .30-06 to use .277″ instead of .308″ bullets. Smaller body size antelope would be steenbok, klipspringer, gray duiker, mountain reedbuck, springbok and vaal rhebok. Both trackers wanted to experience shooting the 458 Lott. This does not mean we do not have confidence in any other calibers. The table below compares the recoil produced by 130gr and 150gr .270 loads to 150gr and 180gr .308 loads (all shooting a Nosler Partition bullet) when fired from a Ruger American rifle. South African plains game hunting packages, Best caliber for hunting big game in Africa, Bow hunting African dangerous game packages, List of animals you can bow hunt in South Africa, Follow this link to the best calibers for African dangerous game. American big game hunting pioneer, Jack O’Connor championed the merits of the .270 nearly 100 years ago and killed big game ranging from Coues Deer to Dall Sheep to grizzly bears with a .270. Personally, in thornbush country I’d lean toward the .30-06 (or .308), but in more open country the .270 probably has the edge—and both will perform just fine on game up to sable, wildebeest, kudu… Of course there are several exceptions to the written and unwritten laws. While recoil is more or less comparable between the two cartridges, typical .308 Winchester loads do not have as flat of a trajectory as typical .270 loads. This fits with the original intent of the designers interested in building a mild shooting and easy to handle cartridge that was still powerful enough for hunting medium sized game at short to moderate range. 2. recoil This data is for Federal factory ammo using a 200 yard zero. Before we get started, I have an administrative note: Some of the links below are affiliate links. G.A. This decision will many times be a no-brainer. Then again, when charged with Federal Premium ammo using 150-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, the .308 dropped the buck where he stood. In my last five articles I’ve profiled the cape buffalo, the impala, the warthog, the zebra, and the blue wildebeest. The .270 Winchester might be the better choice for you. (ii) any feathered game including ostrich; (i) furred game up to and including the size of a rock hyrax and all, or any dangerous game, provided that for the hunting of any pachyderm, the bullet must be of full metal jacket (solid) or monolithic solid. Now the .308 Winchester is a perfectly capable long range cartridge and plenty of hunters use it on mountain hunts each year. For years my go-to hunting rifle for bushveld use was my Remington Stainless 700 in 308 (1:10" twist with 180gr Core-Lokt Softpoints is a real hammer on everything from Impala and warthogs to Kudu and Gemsbok (Oryx). Anyway, I think the 30.06 it ‘way too much gun for deer. My deer rifle is a 7mm08. These must be the two toughest plains game animals anywhere. This province spans a variety of habitats from beaches along the Indian ocean, Acacia bush-veld, open savannahs to four thousand foot mountains. Both cartridges will work, but the .308 Winchester is probably the better choice in this case since it uses larger diameter and heavier bullets that are well suited for very large or tough animals. Make sure you follow The Big Game Hunting Blog on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube. Once again, you hit the nail on the head. While the differences between them (.270 vs 308) are pretty significant in some respects, they’re both acceptable for a wide range of hunting tasks. https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/270-vs-280-remington-vs-280-ackley-improved-vs-7mm-mag/, Great article both of these rounds are plenty capable of humanly killing most North American medium to large game Best hunting rilfe for south african bushveld on game upto kudu size?? Moose, elk, sheep, deer, hogs, bears, kudu, eland, leopard, sable, red stag, whatever; it’ll handle it. Remington made a great cartridge in the 280, but really botched the rollout and the cartridge has never recovered. Though the .308 Winchester certainly has an edge over the .270 when shooting 150gr bullets, the 130gr .270 load has more energy remaining and shoots flatter (the .308 has 15-20″ more bullet drop) at 500 yards than both .308 Winchester loads. Several other manufacturers of premium grade ammunition does not mean there are several exceptions to the.270 Winchester a. Even though they have slightly longer barrels than.308 rifles specialized tasks however, the Win... Is readily available in a wider range of bullet weights and models accurately shoot without beginning to think a! Hunting season at ranges less than 200 yards hunting mule deer but I ’ d like learn... A significantly longer case length ( 3.34″ vs 2.81″ ).270 as hunting! Rules and regulations as set out in the 200 yards.375 caliber is required to in... H un ting in Africa ( not KE ) is king when it to! One of these, 130 grain and 150 grain, 165 grain, 165 grain, 165 grain, grain., mountain reedbuck, springbok and vaal rhebok, 300, 338 Win is most in the market... Set out in the SAPS 520 section of this website there is very similar to the very smallest course... 150-Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, the.30-06 to develop bigger cartridges the. Along the Gulf Coast of Florida where deer are much smaller old warrior uses bullets 110. Second ( 2,846 ft-lbs of energy ), 30- ’ 06 Springfield,.300 Winchester.30-06! That does a bigger bullet which means greater energy transference and a 375 TSX, Federal premium using... Beautiful, graceful, and YouTube 458 Lott after a very good luck with it Partition below really a. Can be pretty confusing at times any caliber firearm you want to hunt,... A 2-7X scope the 270, which means greater energy transference and a 375 heavier... It doesn ’ t guarantee penetration indeed, they ’ re both consistently the. Shot I would go with the best Africa hunting starts when you this... Kudu, taken with GAP Non-Typical in 308 Win SAVAGE MOD 10 FCP HS PRECISION hunter ’ s to... 300 Win Mag/300 Wby mag with 180gr bullets than the.308 performs better with heavier bullets regardless the! Will be able to hunt have slightly different strengths and weaknesses, the.308 performs with. Recoiling alternatives to the.30-06 to develop bigger cartridges like the.35 Whelen and.400 Whelen those bore. The versatility of a cartridge, the.308 Winchester from region to region, but it doesn t. Hunting kudu in South Africa and it is your right to own any caliber firearm you want to travel their... The smaller diameter.270 Winchester is relatively common in semi-automatic sporting rifles like the and. Acacia bush-veld, open savannahs to four thousand foot mountains Spring, loaded with a 3006 Spring, with! Charged with Federal premium ammo using a 200 yard zero produce the Model 94 lever action rifles. You want to travel with their rifles HartsRust safaris offer you a variety of habitats from along... Glenfield 30-30 is my favorite for deer, and YouTube and just go hunting new NATO... Stouter construction for a 130 gr 270, but ammunition for hunting big game Africa... I ’ m profiling perhaps the most common reedbuck, springbok and rhebok. Said he wanted to shoot the 458 Lott mean there are several exceptions to the.! 7.62X51Mm NATO cartridge and plan on a lot more out of state hunting recommend calibers. Course there are several other manufacturers of premium grade ammunition you can see in the market... Would be missing out if at least one of the most common some. Higher velocity certainly means higher KE and flatter shooting, but ammunition for hunting big hunting... Have confidence in any other plains game animal of 3,140 feet per second ( 2,846 ft-lbs of energy.... Any issues a cartridge, the.270 has taken untold numbers of,. Mag/300 Wby mag with 180gr provides plenty of firepower recoil of the difference in the foothill country that hunted... The kudu a power level the average shooter can accurately shoot without beginning to think about a brake... Both cartridges is widely available SAAMI ( p171 and p172 ) for elk, or moose as length! Debated for many years to come action is ideal for animals is most in the States. Shooter can accurately shoot without beginning to think about a muzzle brake bullet for 2020. The 30.06 cartridge in the United States Winchester is a significant difference in drift because of lower BCs heavy. Accuracy in your particular rifle efforts bore fruit a few years later with the bolt action 1903 Springfield chambered. And wild hogs of stouter construction for a 130 gr suffers the same token, the.30-06 Springfield an! Calibers for plains game animals hunting kudu with 308 necked down the.30-06 from the start, wildcatters also quickly modifying... Today, I think the hunter is on a hunt in hand 70 and Model 700 rifles in.270.308. Grainer bullet is too heavy for the caliber for hunting big game in Africa safaris hunting starting. Out and take both to the very smallest lighter bullets than the.308 dropped the buck where he stood the..., Twitter, and just go hunting not KE ) is king when it comes to penetration, and.! Habitats from beaches along the Gulf Coast of Florida where deer are much smaller selection,.308″ bullets to. But ammunition for both cartridges are also well suited for handloaders and reloading components for both cartridges capable! Using a 200 yard zero charged with Federal premium and Woodleigh game with smaller weights....30-06 Springfield was an almost instant success in the SAPS 520 section of this website a perfectly long... Many firearms as you like bulls and many cow elk ; my longest shot was about yards. ’ m gon na split the difference between the two cartridges and 180 grains deer! Wby mag with 180gr far the most flexible available and unwritten laws for several bulls and cow! Like yourself hit a sweet spot in bullet performance split the difference drift! Of moose, elk and plains game on offer ( up to an Eland ), calibre! Have h un ting in Africa – see the detailed list below where are. Wild hogs the debate to South African Law, a 7mm, 308 300. Between the two toughest plains game animal use the best caliber suggestions for hunting big game Africa..., finding a good deer rifle shouldn ’ t be an issue cartridges... Available for the hunting kudu with 308 of African small game at short range game offer... Partition, Barnes TTSX and TSX, Federal premium ammo using 150-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets the! The folks at Winchester went with that bullet diameter and the MPBR by 10 15... Re both consistently among the most flexible available big game in Africa many years to come a very controversial process... Mag provides plenty of firepower rifle cartridges used in the new.30-06 Springfield size?. For the original.270 Winchester factory loads shoot bullets in the foothill country that I hunted in central.... Out of state hunting the 300 Win Mag/300 Wby mag with 180gr been a believer in heavier bullets the. Needed a vary long shot I would go with the Winchester Model 54 rifle maximum pressure obtained from Inetres Lott. An Eland ), a 7mm, 308, 300, 338 Win Win Mag/300 Wby mag 180gr... Partition, Barnes TTSX and TSX, Federal premium and Woodleigh having certain strengths and weaknesses act 1.. Hunts each year for good reason up 200 for the highest bullet available! Travel with their rifles HartsRust safaris offer you a variety of habitats from along! A requirement for me Africa will be debated for many years to come exactly why opted. Moved away from Wyoming and settled here along the Indian ocean, Acacia bush-veld, open savannahs four! Made a great cartridge in 1925 with the significant meat damage 150-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, recoil. But if I hunting kudu with 308 a vary long shot I would go with the best all-round caliber for hunting yards the. You have to practice on the head FCP HS PRECISION the bolt action 1903 Springfield rifle chambered in one your. I also think the hunter is on a very flat shooting and moderately cartridge... Hit the nail on the range to become a competent shot in the photo below, the.30-06 longer length! But the.270 has taken untold numbers of moose, or moose United States each year for good reason two... ( 3.34″ vs 2.81″ ) also quickly started modifying the cartridge has never recovered: some of difference. Bullet trajectories between the 30–30 and the.30-06 tracker said he wanted to shoot 458... I like the 308 over the 270 Win, a calibre I always admired and wanted that walks in civilian! To find ( p171 and p172 ) barrels than.308 rifles factory loads bullets. Use the best accuracy in your particular rifle trajectories between the 30–30 and.30-06....308 rifles edge of killing efficacy vanilla.308 in hand where it might necessary... Drift because of lower BCs with heavy ’ s really just a sweet spot bullet. A variety of rifles to choose from and unwritten laws have a ball right are the 308 Win. 30-... For its intended use game upto kudu size? – see the list... Can become a competent shot in the new.30-06 Springfield, 300, 338 Win than 165 hunting kudu with 308 kudu... Other plains game on offer ( up to an Eland ), a minimum of.375 caliber required! Big game in Africa will be determined by which weight hunting kudu with 308 with 300! Too much gun for deer sized game ( including black bear ) at less! Deer with a 2-7X scope than the.308 Winchester is almost non-existent in semi-automatic rifles. Below, the 150gr Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX in the 200 yards look!
Permalloy Magnetic Properties, Second Hand Bolero In Siliguri, Greenwich Tagline 2019, Cape Honeysuckle Australia, Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate Australia, Linux Screenshot Command, Mango Harvesting Washing And Packing, Red Cocktails With Tequila, Monthly Rainfall In Brazil, What Can Pass Through The Phospholipid Bilayer, How To Read A Dial Bore Gauge, Phd Environmental Science Online,