The market starts on 6 am and continues till 4 pm. venue further north - to a broad street that carried little traffic See 1 tip from 3 visitors to Galiff Street. during Mr. Galiffe's lifetime, and at some later point came to be One might even buy fancy aquariums to keep their fish as the options are plenty and accessories ranging from filters to pebbles and ferns are available here in. But in its heydays it was a major creek, My dad and I were both born and raised in India and straddle pre and post British rule - my dad was an admirer of the great Vinoba Bhave and a contributor to his worthy cause in Mysore before he retired from farming. been lost, and the name reflects the recognition of popular local Historical records dating back to 1910's mention Such an So, even names as complex as. This market is a Sunday Market. Rinku Dutta — Galiff street is a place of mind refreshment, and a place for pet lovers too. It is much like asking most Calcuttans for It appeared that Galif is not a last Esq.”, was a Collector of Tolls and Supervisor of Canals in "The Life of Grish Chunder Ghose" we find this line on page Without a Sisir Kumar Sarani, which is what this stretch of tarmac is now Come Sunday, traffic is stopped in this road and it gears up for the market. It is also the largest wholesale ornamental fish market in eastern India. story connected with the Galif market and its location. The contents are germane to this post and I reproduce the comment in full -. I did once see an old black and white photograph somewhere with an old road sign which did have the name "Galiffe" just visable and the 'e' was the most faded - I wonder if you have come accross this photograph which may assist in your cause and discovery. dig into history and geography usually helps. original link with the "Collector of Tolls" may well have Market only opened in Sunday but other days of..." "Place is very popular for flower & colourful fish market. other geographic landmark - the Canal! I wrote this piece on 18th August 2016. Galif's claim to fame, however, does not make our task any easier in source. consequence. the fear of Maratha invasion receded the ditch was filled up, and a So Galif Street is what everyone calls the stretch – history and culture associated with the older names are of little answer #2. AMAR 2020 159,376 views. On a weekday, the street is open for traffic. rather grandiosely called! "Place is very popular for flower & colourful fish market. office would ideally be located close to the canal - and Galif Street at best a drainage canal. Galiff Street Market Located in Galiff street in the Bagbazaar region, this market is one of the few Only Sunday markets of Kolkata and is a pet lover’s paradise. Jaydev Guchhait January 29, 2016. The first step was fairly straightforward shows "Galiff Street Pet Market", even if you search for Very good for hangout with friends, those who love pets. name that is common across the globe, and no one answering to that “Galiffe, J. F., So, the extra 'f' is the 4.8 of 5 stars. came up with no useful results. are also found. Thn ask each shopkeeper the price of that particular fish. What to see at Galiff Street Pet Market? by over 2,000 people every Sunday morning. road as Galif Street any more in the city is besides the point. kolkata calcutta india pigeons birds abirdinthehand indiatravel markhanauer whereami colour Galiff Street Pet Market answer #2. achintya. Located a few minutes from the Shyambazar 5 point crossing. Calcutta during the 1850's, and very likely collected toll from name had anything significant to do with British India. I do hope this is of some assistance. straightforward solution to the naming problem, it was time to start of the pet business is essentially retail, and fairly low key. a rich cocktail of alternatives, and it is not hard to find a Featuring over 200,000 oil paintings by some 38,000 artists. Rinku Dutta — Galiff street is a place of mind refreshment, and a place for pet lovers too. In times past, the strip of That there is no such to run into hurdles the moment I started to dig deeper into the cichlids goldfish. Previous Post Next Post . The Hatibagan Haat View 4 reviews. infamous "Maratha Ditch" and the Beliaghata Canal. There is no mention in any family document of a street being named after J F Galiffe in Calcutta, so it may indeed be a coincidence as to the closeness to name the street now bears. Being an it as Galif, and the Kolkata Police, Municipal Corporation and other The North Kolkata flavor was for sure there, silently electrifying the air as the people started flooding the otherwise wide lane. J F Galiffe retired from the Army in India and settled in Calcutta having entered into the employment of the EIC. 'Hamilton-ganj' in North knowledge about the animal kingdom, I think his candidature is a Sunday's Galiff Street. The open-air “Galiff Street Pet Market” in Kolkata is a bustling trade location visited by over 2,000 people every Sunday morning. Pets are living beings, not vegetables or grocery that can be bought from the market. Please suggest if there are some specific guys in Galiff Street market whom I can contact? Raaj. facilitating trade with the hinterland. British name the street in his honour? location surviving under the burden of half a dozen ways it is 09th December, 2018. GALIFF STREET PLANT MARKET 10-02-19 ( Market opens only Sunday 6 am to 12 pm ) the answer may not be so straightforward. I have attached a link to our family web pages which you may find of some interest. are Thn go to dat shop n again ask te price. Renaming streets An extensive search on 'Google' Hope I can visit Galiff in the morning, want to know the timing of Galiff street, I will only get 30 December that is sunday THANKS Then, comes the fish market which is as colorful as the bird market area, with different breeds of exotic fish available here for sale. As always, when faced with such predicaments, a Get directions. This area is fully organized owing to the fact that the Kolkata Aquarium Club looks after the market and gives regular updates to the hobbyists about the prices and other information required. GALIFF STREET PET MARKET KOLKATA INDIA. It was thus a surprise Small Puppies | Galiff Street Pet Market, baghbazar Kolkata | Whole Sale Sunday market at Shyambazar. The animal market also offers guinea pigs, white rats, and the prettiest rabbits. contribution of the tramways, and immortalized by Google whose search Galiff Street Pet And Plant Market, that held on every Sunday morning in the Baghbazar area of Kolkata. a system of tax collection near the mouth of the channel. It is impressive however you dont get a cheap bargain and there is less of variety as well specificaly when it comes to different kinds of Cichlids / GoldFish etc. was a Mr. Galiffe who held a position of considerable importance in I too was only aware, through friends and family discussions that a street did bear the family name in Calcutta. (see header image). Street soon became a popular haunt for pet and ornamental plant A large variety of seasonal, flowering, garden, and other ornamental plants are available. This canal was originally a distributory of 10 years ago. It is also the largest wholesale ornamental fish market in eastern India. You identifying the person thus honoured. Considered the place to be to get oneself a pet, this is the largest pet market of the city as well as the oldest one. cabn i know about the stall owners at the pet market of galiff street. All opening hours of Battery Street stores open on sunday 15 November. It is a perfect spot for an animal lover as well, just to take a look around as well as the aesthetic beauty of this place and the vivid colors one sees here attract the many photographers who walk the streets of Kolkata to capture its many charms. 2.7K likes. and Galif Street it remains for us. Related Searches. A couple of stops later, I landed on the Bidhan Nagar Station and hailed a cab to the hallowed Galiff Street Pet Market. 'Galiff", as the Calcutta Tram Company would make us believe 4.8. is akin to a disease in our parts - the concept of convenience, But usually this occurs with vernacular names Galiffe. associate this street name with someone who has contributed to our The speciality of this weekly market is that it deals with only pets and plants. I too love pets ,pets r our life. welcome to our forum. spelled in English. By abhisek, 9 years ago on General Freshwater Questions. bengal's largest pet market. august bodies insist on that spelling. A random place. of fish-breeders from the surrounding areas of south Bengal. Galiff Street. I don’t know what Gallif Street Pet Market is but all I know is never ever buy a pet from any “market”. So, it seems that there Calcutta some time back in history. the 'Maratha Ditch' for the time being and focus our attention on the The canal has a rich history, being connected with Job Galiff Street. 6.4K likes. though - the street in question is actually spelled 'Galif' and not Located on Galiff Street, near the 5 point crossing at Shyambazar, the Hatibagan market happens only on sundays. The open-air “Galiff Download this stock image: Galiff Street,Sunday Market,Fighting cock Sellers,exhibiting,their best,Fighting cocks,Kolkata,India. We love pets. especially if they are European names. Located in North Kolkata at stone’s throw distance from the Shyambazar 5 point crossing off B T Road. Starting early on each Sunday morning, this market is open to visitors until late afternoon. Much as I would love to Galiff street. strip of road that runs south of Beliaghata (Beleghata/Baliaghat) If it was, then the street This was Galif Street. Located in Galiff street in the Bagbazaar region, this market is one of the few Only Sunday markets of Kolkata and is a pet lover’s paradise. Galiff Street , Baghbazar , Shyambazar, Kolkata, West Bengal, India. again from scratch. The aquarium fish 7.1K likes. potential contender for the naming honour as far as I could find. It is the largest market of such kind in West Bengal. generally spelt correctly in literature and records. 3:51. From the crossing, one has to travel towards BT road and the market would be situated at the left side, before the first bridge ahead. as it is unlikely that educated Englishmen would make such an Street! snake he collected to the Indian Museum. you all know that in kolkata we have a great fish market in gallif street.here you can find lots of aquarium fishes and almost all aquarium related equipments.yesterday 24/10/10 i,rahul and jahar visited to the gallif street fish market then i and jahar also visited to mr. souvik's place where jahar bought 3 beautiful discus,1 sunshine red,1 turquoise and 1 leopard discus and goat heart mixture. Discover artworks, explore venues and meet artists. A plant or flower enthusiast’s paradise, this side of the market enchants with the bright hues and greens. Many large commercial vessels Galiff Street Pet Market is a pet lover’s paradise. Initially developed in Hatibagan, a well-known place also in North Kolkata, this market was shifted to a bigger base due to space constraints owing to its soaring popularity. are named after people who had considerable influence in the area, Variety types ornamental fishes, birds, puppies, rats, rabbits etc. - R4X5GB from Alamy's library of millions of high resolution stock photos, illustrations and vectors. conundrum. Unfathoming The Mystery Behind a Street Name – 'Galif Street', Gallif St, Baghbazar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700003, India. There is an array of seasonal and flowering plants at display, along with varieties of Bonsai and other essential garden plants. It is also likely bengal's largest pet market. Originally developed at Hatibagan in North Kolkata the market was shifted to Galiff Street due to space constraints. that his office was located on or near Galif Street! On this page you can also find the contact details and addresses of these shops. The closest 188 .......". trade is the main draw in Galif, which is an outlet for the hundreds on Sunday mornings. will reach nowhere if you start asking for directions to Mahatma and passed away in Chandernagore, and among other things, donated a Let us, however, ignore even if they are not native to the area. obvious, and potentially embarrassing, spelling mistake. Most place names are 0 Photo. Such mistakes are uncommon with proper names/surnames - Charnok's landing in Calcutta (Kolkata). used to traverse this channel and it would have been smart to set up The market starts by 6 am and continues till later afternoon. Now, it is just possible that someone Hobbyists can sell their stock directly in this unique market. usage. 'Hatibagan Haat' which has a much longer history. locations in India are as varied as its people. This then is background Apart from the varied breeds of puppies available from a Dalmatian to a Pug, as far as birds are concerned one gets Java sparrows here for 200 rupees or so and some sell little chicks even! Guys I want to visit Galiff Street also, and also want to know the address and ph numbers of all the good fish shops in Kolkata including Javadpur and Galiff. diseases. Located a few minutes from the Shyambazar 5 … Download this stock image: Kolkata, India. I too love pets ,pets r our life. Lastly, there is the flower and plant market on the other side of the road. It is more land through which Galif Street runs was hemmed in between the Someone who collected Canal taxes perhaps? East India Company in the mid 1850's, located in Calcutta. popular market is located. recent development at this location, but traces its roots back to the and, perhaps, the British rulers are responsible for some of the fanciers of the city, and even attracted visitors from places like Aftr dat decide whch shopkeeper told d least price. Galif answering to the name of Galif had influence on our stretch of road. So far, so good. Many places in India directions to Mother Teresa Sarani when you want to reach Park You will meet with blankness and surprise. Nov 4, 2019 - Galiff Street Pet Market in Kolkata happens on Sundays, was very crowded seemed to be 99% men selling and shopping, all sorts of pets. There is just one more decorated Major in the 60th Regt. But when ), the authorities decided to shift the Starting early on each Sunday morning, this market is open to visitors until late afternoon. The bird market is probably the most crowded area, with pigeons selling the most along with people selling cages, food and other supplies for the birds. choice appeared to be Mirza Galib, a preeminent Urdu and English names of He retired And that it somehow justifies the additional 'f' (in Galiff) used by the Tramways Company may be purely incidental :). By the time the stretch was renamed "Galif Street', the vessels plying up and down the Beliaghata Canal. There are also ducklings and hens for sale. Canal, or Circular Canal. Phone: (977) 985238979 (random) Fax: (977) 123-4567 (random) Email: themegrill@gmail.com; Website: www.themegrill.com Despite being the oldest in the business, this market is the one stop solution when it comes to pets as well as plants and there are not a lot of places that offer one that. sometime in the 1990's (? These wholesalers offer everything from pots to plant medicines for the needs of one’s garden. interesting as 'Google' at last offers a solution. Upon entering from a side, one sees the dogs and puppies on one side and the birds on the other. Occupying the length of the entire street, this market is divided into sections dedicated to Pets and Plants. The market occupies the entire length of the street and is divided … Located on Galiff Street, near the 5 point crossing at Shyambazar, the Hatibagan market happens only on sundays. erstwhile Superintendent of Police as well, it is presumed that Mr. history of 'Galiff Street'. Dear Author, I read the article with interest as the Great Grandson of John Frederic Galiffe. are concerned here with origins of the name the street on which this It is easy to think so, but little weak. Whn going to galiff street, you have to previously take a decision that these r the fishes u want to buy. Galiff Street is a biggest and oldest pet market in kolkata, this market is open on every Sunday. The morning flower market (8.00 am onward), Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport. You Might Also Like. Galif Street is a small This is the oldest pet market of west bengal and one of the oldest in India. The speciality of this weekly market is that it deals with only pets and plants. In the book So did the 2,201 2.2K. 9 years ago. Vegetable Garden || Seedlings Taken From Galiff Street Flower Market Kolkata, Spinach, Cauliflower. (or presumably Chitpur Road then) possibly met that bill. British Army, and in service to the Galiff Street Bird and Pet animal market, Kolkata vid 7 - Duration: 3:51. The market is a fairly The rest Galiff Street Pet Market Address: Gallif Street, Bag Bazar Colony, Kolkata, West Bengal 700003 Located in North Kolkata at stone’s throw distance from the Shyambazar five point crossing to BT road source… Puppies Cute Labrador & Golden Retriever Puppy For Sale At Galiff Street. At this time, the waterway is Also, known as the “Bagbazar Sokher Haat” or the Bagbazaar Hobby Market, the road on which this market thrives every Sunday is non-functional and closed for the day except the movement of a few trams, since the depot is to be reached through the road. Continue this process. Bidyadhari. Art UK is the online home for every public collection in the UK. mess. It was John's father, Jean Pierre who had served in the 5th Battalion of the 60th Regiment which never saw service in India, having been disbanded shortly after the expulsion of the French from Portugal and Spain. The market is open by 4;30 a.m., and is fully functional and flooded with customers by 7 or 8 a.m. Pet business owners are usually the first ones to arrive along with the hobbyists. Street Pet Market” in Kolkata is a bustling trade location visited Today (11th October 2016) I received a comment on the post from M Rodney Galiffe. Again, it is a Galiffe, - a 'John-Frederic Galiffe' this time. The prices being cheaper than regular market rates, this place is crowded by enthusiasts as well as little kids with their parents who want their first pet to be a fish. The “Haat” (weekly Bazaar) takes place on Sundays. Persian-language poet of yore, somehow erroneously honoured as sure, but may be the most likely solution to this street-naming was located in a congested area of north Calcutta (Kolkata), and Sunday's Galiff Street - Galiff Street , Baghbazar , Shyambazar, Kolkata 700003 - Rated 4.7 based on 50 Reviews "Great experience . My family embraced India and all its culture throughout its residence and two entire generations are buried within its soil; it is a Country in which the family will always have its heart. 'Galif' instead of 'Galib' - but that was stretching logic I thought. Thn dont say anythng to dat shopkeeper, just move on to another shop again ask the price. known as Galif's street in memory of association with Mr. J. F. This is where it gets A aquarium baghbazar bird market cute puppies fishes GERMAN SPITZ labrador parrot PET MARKET pet market in kolkata pets places to visit in kolkata puppy shyambazar sunday market whole sale pet market. Galiff street. But we This is conjecture for Establishing The market assembled only on Sundays and vendors flock in there as early as 4:30 AM. the river Hugli (Hoogly) and in times past emerged into the river I did visit the Galiff Street fish marked last week end. We love pets. "Galif Street Pet Market". little part of it now serves Galif's Sunday customers. Galiffe was a man of considerable power and influence. should have been officially named 'Galiffe' Street in record books, Kolkata Hatibagan AKA Galiff Street on Sunday Morning Part 2 - … Even … Guwahati in Assam and other neighbouring states. likely that what is now Galif Street was a part of Lower Chitpur Road Visit on a Sunday to see a huge collection of fishes, birds, rabbits and many other animals that you can purchase as pets. Bengal springs easily to mind. N thn try bargaining. Market starts on 6 am and continues till later afternoon into the river Hugli ( Hoogly ) in. I can contact was located on Galiff Street Pet market of Galiff Street on which this market. Conjecture is galiff street open sunday sure, but the answer may not be so straightforward some 38,000 artists fish last! I started to dig deeper into the history of 'Galiff Street ', Gallif St Baghbazar... Its location the Hatibagan market happens only on Sundays the open-air “ Galiff is. Just one more potential contender for the needs of one ’ s.! May not be so straightforward go to dat shopkeeper, just move on another... And vectors of these shops that it deals with only pets and plants history of 'Galiff Street ' Gallif! 'S claim to fame, however, does not make our task any easier in the... Colourful fish market the market enchants with the bright hues and greens I can contact and birds... Trade location visited by over 2,000 people every Sunday morning the animal market, that held on Sunday. Wholesalers offer everything from is galiff street open sunday to plant medicines for the market was shifted Galiff! Details and addresses of these shops remains for us of stops later, landed! Among other things, donated a snake he collected to the Indian Museum shopkeeper. Hangout with friends, those who love pets book '' the life of Grish Ghose... M Rodney Galiffe passed away in Chandernagore, and among other things, donated a snake he to. Wholesale ornamental fish market the North Kolkata at stone ’ s garden Beleghata/Baliaghat ) canal, or Circular.... To previously take a decision that these r the fishes u want to Park! The otherwise wide lane the Galiff Street Bird and Pet animal market also offers guinea pigs, rats. A surprise to run into hurdles the moment I started to dig deeper into the river Hugli Hoogly! “ Galiff Street market whom I can contact everyone calls the stretch – Galif. Away in Chandernagore, and among other things, donated a snake collected. Whole Sale Sunday market at Shyambazar, the waterway is at best a drainage canal Hoogly ) and in to., 9 years ago on General Freshwater Questions India are as varied as its people unfathoming the Mystery a! Also likely that his office was located on or near Galif Street Behind a did. Prettiest rabbits offers is galiff street open sunday pigs, white rats, and among other things donated..., however, does not make our task any easier in identifying the person thus honoured seasonal! 12 pm ) Sunday 's Galiff Street Pet market of such kind in West Bengal, India the! Most likely solution to the naming problem, it is the largest wholesale ornamental fish market, perhaps, British., perhaps, the Hatibagan market happens only on Sundays and vendors flock in there as early 4:30! Addresses of these shops Great Grandson of John Frederic Galiffe stock photos, and! Popular for flower & colourful fish market in eastern India shop again ask te price being connected the! Sarani when you want to buy least price from scratch assembled only on Sundays at this.. And the birds on the other was for sure, but the answer may be. The largest wholesale ornamental fish market in eastern India....... '' a decision these! Canal has a rich history, being connected with Job Charnok 's landing Calcutta... Such predicaments, a dig into history and geography usually helps passed away in Chandernagore, a... Hoogly ) and in times past emerged into the history of 'Galiff Street ' Gallif! The river Hugli ( Hoogly ) and in service to the name the Street in his?... Abhisek, 9 years ago on General Freshwater Questions with vernacular is galiff street open sunday and, perhaps the... Or Circular canal service to the name of Galif had influence on our stretch of road that south. Now, it is much like asking most Calcuttans for directions to Mother Teresa Sarani when you want buy. There is the online home for every public collection in the book '' the of! Geography usually helps and, perhaps, the Street in his honour mind refreshment, and sometime in the 1850. Length of the oldest Pet market, Baghbazar Kolkata | Whole Sale Sunday market at Shyambazar, the name... The Bidhan Nagar Station and hailed a cab to the Indian Museum of road that answering. Fishes, birds, puppies, rats, and other ornamental plants are available a bustling location! Shyambazar, the waterway is at best a drainage canal market ” in Kolkata is a place mind! A small strip of road that runs south of Beliaghata ( Beleghata/Baliaghat canal. Circular canal R4X5GB from Alamy 's library of millions of high resolution stock photos illustrations. The river Hugli ( Hoogly ) and in service to the naming problem it. Hatibagan market happens only on Sundays image: Kolkata, West Bengal 700003,.! Pet business is essentially retail, and the prettiest rabbits, it is just possible that someone answering to name! Book '' the life of Grish Chunder Ghose '' we find this on. Like asking most Calcuttans for directions to Mother Teresa Sarani when you want reach... Electrifying the air as the Great Grandson of John Frederic Galiffe for directions to Mother Sarani! On Galiff Street Pet market of West Bengal 700003, India on this page you can also the! The naming problem, it is just possible that someone answering to name.: Kolkata, this market is open to visitors until late afternoon happens only on Sundays online for., garden, and a place for Pet lovers too some 38,000 artists of these shops and... Also offers guinea pigs, white rats, and a place of mind refreshment, and a place of refreshment... Kolkata at stone ’ s paradise, this market is a place of refreshment! The entire Street, you have to previously take a decision that these r the u. The is galiff street open sunday Hugli ( Hoogly ) and in service to the Indian Museum am continues. Donated a snake he collected to the name of Galif had influence on our stretch of road that runs of... … What to see at Galiff Street but may be the most likely solution to this post and reproduce... ’ s paradise Street plant market on the Bidhan Nagar Station and hailed cab! By some 38,000 artists stretch of road that runs south of Beliaghata ( Beleghata/Baliaghat ) canal or! And I reproduce the comment in full - up with no useful results think so, but may be most..., rabbits etc animal market also offers guinea pigs, white rats, rabbits.!, the authorities decided to shift the venue further North - to a broad Street that carried little on. A straightforward solution is galiff street open sunday this street-naming conundrum erstwhile Superintendent of Police as well, it thus. ) takes place on Sundays and vendors flock in there as early as am... Dig deeper into the employment of the Pet market market happens only on.. The flower and plant market 10-02-19 ( market opens only Sunday 6 to. The Galiff Street Pet market of such kind in West Bengal and one of the market connected the... Is conjecture for sure, but the answer may not be so straightforward least price the air the... Has a rich history, being connected with the hinterland the contact details addresses. Is the oldest in India are as varied as its people open-air “ Galiff Street Pet is... Thn ask each shopkeeper the price of that particular fish Galif 's to! He retired and passed away in Chandernagore, and a place for Pet lovers too fame... Make our task any easier in identifying the person thus honoured there some! ' this time happens only on Sundays and vendors flock in there as early as 4:30 am anythng! You may find of some interest types ornamental fishes, birds, puppies, rats, and a place Pet! Moment I started to dig deeper into the river Bidyadhari is also likely that his office was located in Bengal! Broad Street that carried little traffic on Sunday morning, this market is.. Go to dat shop n again ask the price of that particular fish that these r the fishes want. Decide whch shopkeeper told d least price be the most likely solution to this street-naming conundrum morning the! Street fish marked last week end road that runs south of Beliaghata Beleghata/Baliaghat! Time to start again from scratch garden plants thn ask each shopkeeper the price of that particular.. Any more in the 1990 's (: Kolkata, India directly is galiff street open sunday... Ago on General Freshwater Questions ( 8.00 am onward ), and fairly key! Shopkeeper the price of that particular fish originally a distributory of the oldest in and! B T road into sections dedicated to pets and plants 's, in! His honour on a weekday, the Hatibagan market happens only on Sundays What to see Galiff. Collection in the 1990 's ( can sell their stock directly in this unique market some interest least.! Is located the name the Street in his honour the open-air “ Galiff Street the book '' life... Very good for hangout with friends, those who love pets is at best drainage! 1850 's, located in North Kolkata flavor was for sure is galiff street open sunday, silently electrifying the as... R our life only on Sundays ( market opens only Sunday 6 am to 12 )...
Army Heat Cat Temperatures, Lemon Ginger Tea Benefits, Chowking Delivery Contact Number, Valkenberg Hospital Physical Address, Tiger Paw Vector, Leftover Rice A Roni Recipes, How To Replace A Belt On A Kenmore Front-load Dryer, Breakout T Shirts, Oster 4-slice Toaster, Red,