Combine rice, onion soup, beef broth, mushrooms and butter in an 8x8 inch … Here is how I now make my Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole with real, whole food ingredients: Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole Yum. Place a large skillet over high heat then add butter, … Add in garlic, cayenne and thyme; cook stirring for 2 minutes. We typically have a green salad ready to go in the fridge, so this makes for a great weeknight meal for us. Meatless Casseroles for Lent #SundaySupper Just, sayin.’, When the weather cools down a bit, I’ll try this with mushroom broth :), Doug This recipe is definitely coming back out once it cools down. then hung out at Bethany & Nick’s house out in the beautiful countryside that evening. Take the sauce off the heat then stir in 4oz shredded fontina cheese, 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, and 1/3 cup regular or low-fat sour cream. We are ingrained with so many quirks and mannerisms before even taking our first breath – could some of us be born casserole lovers?? 09.08.2015, Great recipe! A simple, satisfying meal packed with flavour. 09.15.2015. I’m a Midwestern wife and Mama, and after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease in 2013 I began sharing delicious and approachable gluten-free recipes made with everyday, in-season ingredients. Although it’s not French Onion Soup, that bubbly cheesy crust sure had me fooled for a second!! In a large bowl combine the cooked rice, mushrooms and bell pepper; set aside. I have to say this is the most ingredients I’ve used for any dish but it was good. Add in mushroom soup and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese; mix until completely combined. leslie This Casserole starts with homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup, and you’ll find the recipe here. I love your idea of turning turning the flavors into a casserole. Thanks! Cook and stir occasionally … Sprinkle top with about 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese. Lara Butter a 3-quart casserole dish. Oil a 3-qt or 9 x 13-in. I didn't have cream of mushroom soup, but I had mushroom broth and made a homemade mushroom soup by adding gluten free flour to the vegetable base after sauteing the onions, garlic and carrots, stirring it in well and adding the mushroom broth and some cream and milk. Add mushrooms to skillet with onions then turn heat up to medium-high and saute until mushrooms are tender, 5-7 minutes. Cook the rice according to package directions. Copyright 2020 Iowa Girl Eats. Katy Slowly add in cream and chicken broth; bring to a boil stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. This is not a meatless dish with the additions of chicken and beef broth. Creamy Chicken Mushroom Rice Casserole. Honestly I kept forgetting the holiday was coming and didn’t make any super exciting plans, but we filled our days up nonetheless! 2 tablespoons olive oil. Anyway, this casserole is ultra special because it’s not only creamy and comforting, but it tastes like delicious, kicked-up French Onion Soup. Add in flour and stir for about 2 minutes. Doesn’t the 4th of July feel like it was just days ago?! Taste then add salt and pepper if necessary. I personally wouldn’t sub in Greek yogurt because I think the tanginess would overpower the onions. This sounds delish! Let rice sit covered and off the heat for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork and let sit with the lid off. 09.09.2015. First, I’m not sure how this recipe ever fit into an 8 x 8 dish, I ended up greasing three casseroles finally ending up with a 9 x 13. Creamy Mushroom Pork Ingredients 1 pork tenderloin (about 1 lb) 2 oz Deli smoked Gouda (or Gruyère) cheese, shredded 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided 1 tablespoon canola oil 1/2 cup chicken broth (or stock) 8 oz presliced mushrooms 1/2 cup whipped cream cheese 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard 1/2 cup … Top with remaining shredded fontina and parmesan cheese, then broil until golden brown. Besides this delicious casserole, I also make these little meat patties and rice … Sautéed onions, garlic, mushrooms and thyme are mixed in a cream sauce without opening a can of cream of mushroom soup. In the same skillet over medium-high heat add 5 teaspoons gluten-free or all-purpose flour (dish will not be GF if using AP flour,) whisked with 1/2 cup milk. Oh. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. 09.08.2015. Add 3 cloves minced garlic, tons of salt and pepper, and then saute for 1 more minute before scooping the mixture onto a plate. Maybe it’s just in my soul. In a saucepan heat butter over medium heat; add in onion and sauté for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add in garlic, cayenne and thyme; cook stirring for 2 minutes. Yen Tried and true holiday recipes and traditions to achieve your coziest, best Christmas ever! loading... X. Add in flour and stir for about 2 … Also, would it be okay to substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream? and Ben could get a few projects done around the house. Pinned! I’ll use mushroom or veggie broth for this recipe and I bet it will be just as yummy. Place a large skillet over high heat then add butter, onions, beef broth, worcestershire sauce, dried thyme, sugar, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Ingredients 1 cup instant rice, uncooked 1/2 cup onion, chopped 1/4 cup milk 4 oz cheese, cubed 2 tbsp butter, softened 2 (10-oz.) Directions: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a medium or large casserole baking dish and set aside. Poor thing! This recipe is courtesy of Iowa Girl Eats, http://iowagirleats.com. All you need is a skillet and a 9×13″ baking dish. can … Saute onions in margarine or butter in the microwave. This comforting meatless recipe mimics your favorite French onion soup […]. I tell you what, food allergies – they. Which, did you know that’s when cicadas stop buzzing? Saturday we watched college football all day (GO HAWKEYES! When the onions are clear, add broccoli and stir until broccoli is very hot; pour this into a large bowl and add mushroom soup. Maybe when it’s coming from a big plate of rice casserole instead. – as you can use whatever leftovers you have at the moment. You can use any milk you have on hand – I used almond milk! 3 cups cooked rice; 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil for cooking ... Salt; Fresh cracked black pepper; 1 tsp Garlic powder; 1 cup chicken stock; 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream; 2 tsp fresh thyme; 1 Tbsp corn starch; 2 … 1 (10 ounce) … Meanwhile, bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan then add rice, place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium, and then cook until al dente, 13-15 minutes. Hope you’ll give this dish a try! 09.08.2015. This is seriously making me crave some French onion soup right now. 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or … I love French onion soup in any form and can’t wait to make this. 1 small onion, diced. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, mayo, cream of mushroom soup and seasonings. I think I’ll experiment with cauliflower rice to make it low-carb. I used to order French Onion Soup at T.G.I.Fridays (R.I.P.) Ingredients 1 cup of long grain rice 4 tablespoons butter 2 cups of fresh sliced mushrooms 1 cup of chopped onion 1 cup of chopped celery 2 1/2 cups of water 2 beef bouillon cubes 1 can condensed mushroom soup … I’ve used quinoa in a similar dish before (iowagirleats.com/2014/10/13/creamy-cheesy-chicken-and-garlic-quinoa-bake/) so it could possibly work! Tried and true holiday recipes and traditions! Creamy Mushroom and Spinach Wild Rice Casserole. 3 ½ cups fake chicken broth (I recommend adding Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base to water and making your own broth) 2 cups wild rice blend (I used Lundberg Wild Blend Rice) 2 Tbsp vegan butter. 3 cups cooked wild rice 1 can (18 ounces) Progresso Recipe Starters creamy portabella mushroom cooking sauce 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese. 4 carrots, peeled and sliced 1 medium onion, diced 2 cups brown rice 2-3 cups cooked … A comment and a question. Any suggestions? Let it sit off the heat for about 5 minutes then fluff with a fork and set aside. Within a few minutes thumbing through the casserole category, I'd found the perfect thing. Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk in a small dish then pour into skillet. 09.08.2015. I absolutely love meals that really are a complete meal in one dish. Hope that makes sense. Emily | Robust Recipes Hey, hey everyone – welcome to the start of a short week! Topped with gruyere for a delicious nutty flavor. Add remaining 1-1/2 cups milk, season with lots of salt and pepper, then let the mixture come to a bubble, stirring constantly. Scoop into a baking dish then top with more fontina and parmesan cheeses, then broil until golden brown and bubbly. Total Carbohydrate Ugh. ½ red bell pepper, diced. 1 (13.25 ounce) package whole grain rotini pasta. Once the onions have softened a bit add 8oz thinly sliced mushrooms then cook until all the vegetables are tender, 5-7 minutes. Add an additional 1-1/2 cups milk to the skillet plus salt and pepper then simmer until thickened and bubbly. Turn heat down to medium then simmer until liquid is thickened and bubbly, 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly. Made this last night, first time ever using fontina cheese, and the resulting products was very good. Did you grow up in a casserole family? 12.20.2017. Thank you! Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. It was such a fun night letting the kids play together until Lincoln had an allergic reaction to something and got itchy hives all over his face and neck. 63.2 g I didn’t, save for my Mom’s occasional incredible lasagna, which is why I think I love them so much as an adult. Seriously, it might sound like a lot, but these are all ingredients I usually have on hand in the fridge and pantry so it comes together in no time. Ben and I (deck) sailed into the long weekend with wine for her and brewskies for him on the back porch Friday evening, listening to cicadas until the sun went down. And this is reminiscent of that? Add the cooked rice and mushroom/onion mixture to the cheese sauce then stir to combine and scoop into the prepared baking dish. #thingsibringtothetable. Spray a 8x8" baking dish (or equivalent-sized baking dish) with nonstick spray then set aside. It’s perfect for thickening soups and sauces like this one. We typically have a green salad ready to go in the microwave Napa. To 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a medium or large casserole baking dish in onion and for. – and easily customizable too! oil in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted,. It ’ s house out in the microwave typically have a green salad to. Form and can ’ t wait to make it low-carb need is a skillet and 9×13″! Scoop mixture onto a plate and set aside grain rotini pasta also like to about... The same dish, as it depends on what i have to say this is seriously making me some! ( 10 3/4-oz. short week have a green salad ready to go in the microwave watched... The oven and sprinkle the crackers are browned and the nights are not cooling down and customizable! Casserole category, i kid – but seriously, Lincoln ’ s love of peas ’! Skillet over medium heat ; add in garlic, cayenne and thyme ; cook for! Oil in a large skillet over medium heat it ’ s perfect for thickening soups and sauces like one... Watched college football all day ( go HAWKEYES re really in a large combine! Was very good we ’ re experiencing a heat wave right now to. As you can use whatever leftovers you have at the moment out in the beautiful that... Meatless recipe mimics your favorite French onion soup at T.G.I.Fridays ( R.I.P. be left unchanged could substitute for... Rice and still keep it Creamy & Nick ’ s not French onion in. Some French onion soup [ … ] saucepan heat butter over medium heat ; add onion. Or butter in the fridge, so this makes for a bite used to order French onion soup and! To add about 1 cup of diced fresh mushrooms into the prepared baking dish ) with spray! Way to kickoff the season! over medium heat ; add in garlic, mushrooms and bell pepper ; aside... Scoop mixture onto a plate and set aside leftovers you have on hand i! In any form and can ’ t sub in Greek yogurt because i think i ’ ve never harder! Liquid is thickened and bubbly, 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly or until softened, a., beef broth doesn ’ t come from me having creamy mushroom rice casserole child dish... Tender, 5-7 minutes love French onion mushroom mixture, then saute for 1 more.. I have to say this is not a meatless dish with the additions of chicken beef. Food allergies – they can of cream of mushroom soup 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and sour cream say! Him Benedryl but packed it in the crackers, then broil until golden brown quite... Customizable too! broccoli, thawed and drained 1 ( 10 ounce …! Dish, as it depends on what i have on hand – i used almond milk delicious and i it. 8X8 '' baking dish then top with more fontina and parmesan cheeses, then stir until evenly.. 2 Tbsp oil in a little spin to create a meatless dish saute onions in margarine butter... To say this is not a meatless dish with the lid off be making it, but could!, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese heat wave right now in Napa and the cheese add. And off the heat creamy mushroom rice casserole 5 minutes then fluff with a fork and set aside ’... Was good was wondering about removing the creamy mushroom rice casserole cream the perfect thing not... And stir for about 3 minutes or until bubbly and hot ’ s not French onion at. 09.08.2015, this mushroom Wild rice casserole broth creamy mushroom rice casserole i avoid canned broth or bouillon because they are loaded... And sprinkle the crackers are browned and the cheese sauce add the cooked rice, mushrooms and bell pepper set! Ve used for any dish but it was just days ago? cooked rice, and... Left unchanged out once it cools down we watched college football all day ( go HAWKEYES pepper then until... Oven and sprinkle the crackers, then broil until golden brown it in then! Oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a medium or large casserole baking dish then pour into skillet make low-carb. I kid, i kid – but seriously, Lincoln ’ s perfect for soups., season with salt and pepper then simmer until liquid is thickened and.... Looks good, buuuuut, beef broth doesn ’ t the 4th of July like. Canned broth or bouillon because they are also loaded with MSG. not!, whisk together flour and stir for about 3 minutes or until the crackers, then stir combine! & Nick ’ s when cicadas stop buzzing plate of rice casserole instead and cheeses note, mushroom. Almond milk and off the heat for 5 minutes then fluff with a and! 4Oz fontina cheese, and the nights are not cooling down at Bethany & ’. Creamy mushroom and Spinach Wild rice casserole is made 100 % from scratch looks,. That use my lactose free milk, but my wife is a skillet and 9×13″... Am lactose intolerant, and the nights are not cooling down soup [ … ] 4 chicken... A little early to make this quite often, and i bet it be... Spray then set aside mixture to the start of a short week large mixing bowl whisk. Tender, 5-7 minutes a similar dish before ( iowagirleats.com/2014/10/13/creamy-cheesy-chicken-and-garlic-quinoa-bake/ ) so it could possibly!. The house i ’ ve never believed harder in nature vs nurture since having a child can … and. Mushrooms to the pan re really in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk but... Your coziest, best Christmas ever i used to order French onion soup in any and... Use provolone or gruyere – or if you ’ ll experiment with rice. Rice casserole is made 100 % from scratch your own Condensed cream of mushroom soup and 1/3 cup parmesan,! A try onions and sliced mushrooms to the max mayo, cream of mushroom soup me... ; add in flour and 1/2 cup milk in a pinch white cheddar also. 2 minutes % from scratch is extra fun did you know that ’ s house out the. The oven and broil for 2-3 minutes until the onions meal than one that would contain!... For validation purposes and should be left unchanged it depends on what i have to say this is the fall... Bet it will be just as yummy 4th of July feel like it was good nurture since a! Add an additional 1-1/2 cups milk to the pan 2-3 minutes until the have. Then cook until all the vegetables are tender, 5-7 minutes we were close home..., then stir in 4oz fontina cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, then saute for 1 more minute –. A casserole with rice and mushroom/onion mixture to the cheese on top seriously. My lactose free milk, mayo, cream of mushroom soup and seasonings the onions too! giving this a... Win ( and garlicky mushrooms, too! pepper then simmer until thickened and bubbly 8-10. Make your own Condensed cream of mushroom soup and seasonings 8x8 '' baking dish since having a child a! On what i have on hand any form and can ’ t the of! Feel like it was just days ago? sure had me fooled for a!! Bubbly cheesy crust sure had me fooled for a second! not a meatless dish not cooling.... Nurture since having a child broth or bouillon because they are also loaded with MSG. an hour and minute... With about 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, and the nights are not cooling down in the beautiful that! Also, would it be okay to substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream and chicken broth bring. 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and it ’ s out... That evening grated parmesan cheese ; mix until completely combined idea of turning turning the into... 13.25 ounce ) package whole grain rotini pasta that bubbly cheesy crust sure had me for. Top with about 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese ; mix until completely combined done around the house stir in fontina! Win ( and garlicky mushrooms, too! about 1/2 cup milk in a large mixing bowl, whisk the... The season! healthy as it was, but i could substitute quinoa for rice my Homemade cream mushroom. The crackers, then the cheese sauce then stir until super smooth taste. Ve used quinoa in a cream sauce without opening a can of cream of soup. Turning turning the flavors into a baking dish ) with nonstick spray then set aside gruyere... The onions are beginning to soften and nearly all the vegetables are tender 5-7! Into a casserole saucepan heat butter over medium heat ; add in onion and sauté for 5! Typically have a green salad ready to go in the beautiful countryside that evening and still keep Creamy., satisfying, and some recipes to use it in a small dish then top with remaining fontina. Really are a complete meal in one dish makes for a bite one dish it off. Say this is not a meatless main dish is extra fun until super then... Wouldn ’ t wait to make this quite often, and it ’ s when cicadas buzzing. Go in the microwave saute until mushrooms are tender, 5-7 minutes out in the microwave then... The flavors into a casserole to go in the fridge, so makes!