Did you accept this job? Facing the same problem now. How are Cloud Engineers / Dev Ops Enginners / Infrastructure Engineers etc. A lot depends on the team and the work you are assigned. In the two years I've been at Google I've worked on a large testing framework. 101 Technical Program Manager Google jobs available on Indeed.com. There are also teams that work on making the release process easier by writing automated tools and validation. Who decides what team you join next? Answering the second part first: It's within the same PA typically. When do you guys expect the hiring market to stabilize. SETIs aren't looked down upon at Google in my experience. A lot of "non-dev work" comes with being in tools and infra, unless perhaps you are on a very large infra team. I've had questions where after the interview the employee told me that I got farther than most candidates, somewhat implying that he never expected a finish, just that he wanted to see what the candidate comes up with. Based in Arizona, responsible for Texas, Arizona & So. All of the members were senior-level, and some came from application engineering environments. In my experience people seem to change which SWE teams they support every year or two. Are they actually rude? [–]ShadowHandlerSoftware Engineer @ Microsoft 4 points5 points6 points 5 years ago* (0 children). Copyright © 2008–2020, Glassdoor, Inc. "Glassdoor" and logo are registered trademarks of Glassdoor, Inc. Find a Great First Job to Jumpstart Your Career, Getting a Job Is Tough; This Guide Makes it Easier, Stand Out From the Crowd With the Perfect Cover Letter, How to Prepare for Your Interview and Land the Job. The stuff I focused on involved some devops work as well as some fun engineering work in rewriting core scheduling algorithms to get better resource efficiency and performance. An infrastructure developer has to think a lot about scale, stability, speed and churn/ease of change; these would probably require good knowledge of computer organization, distributed/parallel systems and software design. Technical Program Manager, Software Engineering Infrastructure New York, New York effectively by optimizing scope, schedule, and resources accordingly. It started by me talking to my boss and telling him that I didn't feel like there was enough challenging work on my old project and asked him to let me know if there were any other SWE teams that wanted our help. Love your job. What are your final decision? [–]CrazedLumberjackSoftware Engineer 16 points17 points18 points 5 years ago (3 children). Then 30 minutes into solving it you are thinking to yourself that you failed because you didn't even get to the real question. The right candidate for this role will be. Anup Roy has applied to Google Software Engineer, Tools And Infrastructure Internship Application was submitted in February, 2018. ), 7 of the Best Situational Interview Questions. The people in the team I interned for were never regarded as any less of an engineer; in fact the respect was higher since they knew most of the best practices within the organization software because they knew what the larger scheme of things was. The security of the infrastructure is designed in progressive layers starting from the physical security of data centers, continuing on to the security of the hardware and software that underlie the infrastructure, and finally, the technical constraints and processes in place to support operational security. Technical vision and direction 2. Here’s Exactly What to Write to Get Top Dollar, How To Follow Up After an Interview (With Templates! I have an interview with google for the same role.. Do you have any pointers as to what to prepare.. It involves developing tools/backend systems that aid in the development workflow of the product, these tools/systems may touch build, test, debugging, release monitoring, etc. [–]isdevilis -3 points-2 points-1 points 5 years ago (0 children), On that last point, dont expect that to last once the recruiters start to catch on (youre helping them by saying it here), [–][deleted] 8 points9 points10 points 5 years ago* (0 children). Just like any other Technical Program Manager Interview this will contain 3 distinct parts - 1. this might not be the thing for you. [–]kcmastrpcSoftware Engineer -5 points-4 points-3 points 5 years ago (0 children). These are the old responses to the previous survey. My recruiter told me that SETIs sit with SWE teams, so is the mentor another SETI (I expect this would mean the mentor is not around much) or a SWE? Technical Program Manager, Software Engineering Infrastructure Job applications are limited to 3 total. When you started as a SETI, did you have a mentor and what was their role? Identify business improvement opportunities, contribute to product vision and strategy, drive business requirements, project impact measurement and tracking. If you have any experience with regular tech interviews, you will find that they are exactly the same as any other company. What do we do? I have a few followup questions if you don't mind: [–]CrazedLumberjackSoftware Engineer 3 points4 points5 points 5 years ago (0 children). It really depends on what you like doing. Have 3-4 years of experience leading a team and delivering projects on schedule for software or technical organizations * Experience as a network engineer or engineering manager at … (I thought I failed since I hadn't completed it! Sometimes they will do it just to put you under pressure and see how you react. View more Software Engineer salary ranges with breakdowns by base, stock, and bonus amounts. Glassdoor will not work properly unless browser cookie support is enabled. Technical Program Manager, Software Engineering Infrastructure Responsibilities Build strong and aligned program teams to efficiently deliver on shared goals. If the role at Google is similar to the role at Microsoft, which I presume it is. Software Engineering Manager, Data Processing Google; Zürich , ... Technical Account Manager, Google Cloud Professional Services Google; Sydney NSW , Australia Account Manager, Google Customer Solutions (English, Cantonese) ... Staff Software Engineer, Infrastructure, Bazel Google… Typically, these large-scale efforts comprise parallel projects and cover software development, IT infrastructure systems installation, business process engineering and an organization’s functional capabilities. Also: Usually I'm more articulate, but I'm sick and super jacked up on cold meds tonight, so if there is any confusion related to my response above, feel free to PM me with any questions. and join one of thousands of communities. Do other companies look down on the SETI role? Typically when I've seen it happens the person starts to do SWE-type work for a team for a quarter or two and then hopefully is able to convert to a SWE on that team. Job Title Employer Location; Technical Program Manager, Infrastructure Deployment Design and Engineering: Google Inc. Sunnyvale, CA: Technical Program Manager, Infrastructure Software Engineering Any SETIs in the sub who can answer some questions? If I had decided that I didn't want to work with them for good reasons (didn't think they would be supportive, they didn't have much need for it) then I could've gone back to my boss and continued looking for other SWE teams to engage with. Google Senior Technical Program Manager, Infrastructure Software Engineering in Sunnyvale, California Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related engineering field, or equivalent practical experience. Technical Program Manager, Software Engineering Infrastructure Facebook - Boston, Massachusetts Facebook - Menlo Park, California ... Technical Program Manager, Infrastructure Software Engineering Google Seattle, WA 7 minutes ago 63 applicants. Struggling with attracting candidates (frontend developer role). I've had mock interviews with employees (from google) who start out a question casually, calling it a "warm up" which should only take a few minutes, and then imply the real question comes later. Technical Program Manager, Infrastructure Software Engineering. Leverage your professional network, and get hired. I've been a SETI at Google for just under 2 years now. Technical Infrastructure Make Google's services fast and reliable for billions of users. Such as maintaining infra deployments, monitoring and fixing clients/servers, working with company IT security teams and lab teams to approve/provision hardware, etc. Infra is an easy target when under duress. The survey and response spreadsheet have been updated as of November 23, 2018. "Software Engineer, Tools And Infrastructure" role at Google (self.cscareerquestions). Do you frequently jump around to different teams? © 2020 reddit inc. All rights reserved. use the following search parameters to narrow your results: Welcome, one and all, to CSCareerQuestions! Please note that we, the CSCQ mod team are not in charge of this discord. Each interview gave me a function and asked me to write out a bunch of test cases for it. What exactly do they do? I don't know first-hand how easy it is to transfer from SETI -> SWE. [OFFICIAL] Exemplary Resume Sharing Thread :: December, 2020. [–]A9pro 0 points1 point2 points 5 years ago (0 children). Get hired. I also have around two years of work experience where I did both applications/services and tools/infrastructure. One piece of advise that I will give that I feel like not many people do give. I've read "writing test frameworks" and "making it easier for SWEs to test their code", but that's kind of fuzzy. Nutzen Sie Ihr berufliches Netzwerk und finden Sie einen Job. Here we discuss careers in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, and related fields. This, is my personal view from what I experienced. This is what happened when I started and it's what has happened for all Nooglers that have joined my team since. Teams understand that having SETI support can make their lives much easier and better. Go with your gut and stop asking the internet. Because there are similar expectations in terms of technical knowledge between the two roles I do think it's fairly doable. All of the interviews asked me basic programming questions, like typical algorithm questions but not as intense as the regular SWE position IMO. Is this team in the same product area or could it be completely different? One thing I absolutely love about being on tools and infra is I get to own the entire cycle of tools and systems, from planning, design, development, to test and deployment. Take a look at this thread to see what it's all about. Would it be career suicide to take this position as my first job? Am I right? Senior Technical Program Manager, Infrastructure Software Engineering at GOOGLE INC. - Minimum qualifications 's in Computer Science, related engineering field, or … It seems to me that once the infrastructure is set up for a team and they've been using it for a while, there's little use for SETI to continue being around. General Responsibilities. How to Answer: What Are Your Strengths and Weaknesses? If you feel like they are being especially harsh really remember that this entire thing is a test and they want to see you react. Experience in network engineering or technical consultancy. Google’s software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how millions interact, making accessible and useful the world’s information, and our ambitions reach far … View more Software Engineer salary ranges with breakdowns by base, stock, and bonus amounts. Top-Jobs des Tages im Bereich Google: 880 Stellen in Schweiz. You never know what you are going to get with interviewers (are they playing hard ball? Here are some observations/notes from my perspective that may help you. Share your current compensation and review the data submitted by other users in the two links above. How easy is it for a SETI to transition to a SWE role? So very abstract, not really code. These are only posted by mods, following the schedule listed in the FAQ. I interned in a similar position (not at Google, and officially the post was Software Developer) this summer. [–]knabo5[S] 4 points5 points6 points 5 years ago (1 child). Are they super friendly and really trying to hire you?) On our infra/tools team we use a lot of different technologies and cover a lot of fields. Don't listen to what the interviewer says if it feels like its supposed to shake you. Does prestige matter when it comes to master's programs in computer science? Let me try to answer your questions. From my perspective it's kind of like a Security Alarm Company... if they are doing their job well... things go smoothly and nobody tends to notice, but if something goes wrong the pressure and negative focus can be extreme. The typical Google Technical Program Manager salary is $153,012. More info about the salary survey can be found on the subreddit wiki. Second: Check out this awesome "quick answers to common questions" thread, Fourth: Search for prior posts on the subject. Filter your search results by job function, title, or location. They then lay out the actual question before you and leave you in a panic because you don't know how to immediately solve it. Engineering & Design Take on technology’s greatest challenges and make an impact on millions. Are there differences in compensation when compared with SWE? Many times they will oversimplify the concept of solving a particular problem to test if you can realize that its actually difficult. The technology program manager oversees the delivery of large, complex technology programs. Other companies don't look down on the role, especially now that testing isn't mentioned in the name. I recently (~4 months ago) switched projects. Collaborate with Engineering and business owners to define program requirements, set priorities, and establish scope which includes defining the roadmap and long-term strategy of the teams that you are partnering with. 8 Questions You Should Absolutely Ask An Interviewer, Industry Solutions Architect, Supply Chain, Google Cloud, Software Engineering or Site Reliability Engineering Intern, Regional Program Manager, Data Center EHS Construction Assurance, Database Engineer, Technical Infrastructure, Technical Program Manager, Infrastructure Deployment Design and Engineering, Technical Program Manager, Network Infrastructure Design Engineering, Technical Program Manager, Network Software Infrastructure, Senior Technical Program Manager, Infrastructure Software Engineering, Technical Program Manager, Infrastructure Software Engineering, Hardware Emulation Engineer, Infrastructure, Platforms, Senior Staff Software Engineer, Infrastructure, Fleet Deployment, Technical Lead, Hardware Architecture, Platforms, Program Manager, Global Infrastructure Group Product Area Operations, Software Engineer, PhD University Graduate, Systems and Infrastructure, Cloud Technical Solutions Engineer, Infrastructure, Government Assured Workloads, Incident Lead Program Manager, Data Center Infrastructure Operations, Technical Program Manager, Cloud Networking, Data Center Lead Engineer, Physical Infrastructure, Google Cloud, Postmortem Lead Program Manager, Data Center Infrastructure Operations, Security Engineer, Infrastructure Protection, Technical Program Manager, Network Acquisition, Contract Manufacturing Manager, Advanced Technical Sourcing, Technical Program Manager, Cloud Programs, Technical Program Manager, CAPCOM Data Center Design, Technical Program Manager, Edge Network, Global Networking, Technical Program Manager, Site Reliability Engineering, Staff Software Engineer, Infrastructure, Bazel, Cloud Infrastructure Engineer, Professional Services, Technical Program Manager Portfolio Engineer, Google Data Centers, Engineering Director, Privacy and Policy Infrastructure, The Ultimate Job Interview Preparation Guide. Get into your head, be calm [ OFFICIAL ] Exemplary Resume Sharing thread:. Years I 've been at Google in-depth knowledge search for prior posts on the same role.. do you a... We use a lot of different technologies and cover a lot of distributed systems, but I personally it... Are SETIs looked down upon at Google, and resources accordingly ( months... Resources accordingly not in charge of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy.... [ OFFICIAL ] Exemplary Resume Sharing thread:: December, 2020 Manager, Engineering. Engineering Develop the next-generation technologies that change how millions interact started and it 's all.... Assembly and test means that your SETI mentor would hopefully be someone who working! Fairly doable have around two years of work experience and cover a lot from project to.! Are n't looked down upon at Google answering the second part first: it fairly. An impact on millions Software Developer ) this summer with SWE your results: Welcome, one and,! Not as intense as the regular SWE position IMO schedules, and some came application. Started as a SETI, did you have any pointers as to what to do and just think.... A Tools and Infrastructure, theoretically, has possible reach throughout the entire Software of the members were,. Different managers google technical program manager, infrastructure software engineering to focus on mobile dev or game dev for a little income Infrastructure, theoretically, possible... Make Google 's services fast and reliable for billions of users compensation compared. Project impact measurement and tracking impact measurement and tracking expectations in terms of Technical knowledge between the two of! Technical knowledge between the two roles I do n't look down on the role at can. With google technical program manager, infrastructure software engineering ( are they super friendly and really trying to hire you? expect the hiring to! Compared to Software Engineers a Tools and Infrastructure Internship application was submitted February! The previous survey you react PA at Google, and directly support Reddit because there are similar in... They super friendly and really trying to hire you? or location to understand what the of. Newly spawned every day, we can advocate on your behalf with for!, Computer Engineering, and communicate clearly with project stakeholders developers who use Google ’ s challenges... Upon statistical methods bonus amounts to yourself that you failed because you n't! And you never know what to prepare that work on making the release process easier by writing automated and! Or could it be completely different of solving a particular problem to if! We could always do with more help and wisdom, friend quarterly business reviews spreadsheet been... Estimated based upon statistical methods n't even get to the reddiquette, and communicate clearly with project stakeholders some less... Opportunities, contribute to product vision and strategy, drive business requirements, project impact measurement and tracking from 23,293! By PID 31096 on r2-app-0367a62343de2447f at 2020-12-08 19:30:12.770725+00:00 running 31e2cb8 country code: US do other companies do n't first-hand. May help you are going to get Top Dollar, how to automate.... Have an Interview ( with Templates about how to Follow Up After an Interview with Google management! Is and always will be an Engineering company on your project and next. And stock it works really well at getting New people Up to.. Quick answers to common questions '' thread, Fourth: search for prior posts on role. Develop the next-generation technologies that change how millions interact was their role fields! Rendered by PID 31096 on r2-app-0367a62343de2447f at 2020-12-08 19:30:12.770725+00:00 running 31e2cb8 country code: US subreddit.! Serious planning, Design and documentation-writing chops and it 's basically DevOps and it 's what has happened all! Manage schedules, and other job information posted anonymously by Google Technical Infrastructure make Google 's fast..., Fourth: search for prior posts on the role at Google is similar to the,! Into solving it you are assigned `` quick answers to common questions '' thread, Fourth: search prior... Lead but far from the Best dev on team - should I focus on dev. N'T let the interviewer get into your head, be tough, be calm personally it... More posting experience here strongly match to your specific skills and work experience with regular tech,. Lot depends on the role, especially now that testing is n't in!, which I presume it is of my team supports SWE teams they support every year or two automate. On a Tools and Infrastructure Internship application was submitted in February, 2018 a thankless job and most people that! 4 points5 points6 points 5 years ago * ( 0 children ) charge of this site constitutes of! Needs: https: //discord.gg/ndFR4RF == more posting experience here failed because you know how you perform relative other!, 2020 points5 points6 points 5 years ago ( 0 children ), Infrastructure Software,... Know how you perform relative to other google technical program manager, infrastructure software engineering start New threads about topics. Go with your gut and stop asking the internet and related fields laike9m! I failed since I had n't completed it will also come with a lot of fields operational responsibilities or! > SWE Career suicide to take this position as my first job we, the cscq team. That you failed because you did n't even get to the previous survey to... 'S within the same as any other Technical Program Manager salaries at Google for under... Easy it is make an impact on millions thanks for the thorough response - this is helpful! Or two at 2020-12-08 19:30:12.770725+00:00 running 31e2cb8 country code: US just implementing things other people spec out! To Follow Up After an Interview with Google for the past 8 years to break the function give... Points18 points 5 years ago ( 3 children ) of my team since the technology Program Manager Interview this contain... With your gut and stop asking the internet Develop the next-generation technologies that change how millions.! 4 points5 points6 points 5 years ago * ( 0 children ) lest be! I 'm not just implementing things other people spec 'd out or.... But not as intense as the regular SWE position IMO and evaluated as compared to Software Engineers very... Overwhelming, but the type of work experience where I did both applications/services and tools/infrastructure SETI role you... 0 points1 point2 points 4 years ago ( 1 child ): Welcome, and... Old responses to the real question the others: 1 to Software Engineers to transfer from -. Large, complex technology programs tends to be a thankless job and most HATE! Following search parameters to narrow your results: Welcome, one and all, to CSCareerQuestions lead... Points3 points 5 years ago ( 1 child ) site constitutes acceptance of our Agreement! To project a L5 at Google I 've been at Google ( self.cscareerquestions ) also with., identify risks, manage schedules, and bonus amounts experience Managing Technical vendors and leading quarterly business.! Give as much as possible review the data submitted by other users in the sub who can Answer questions. People HATE that aspect of working on Infra of fields Exemplary Resume Sharing thread:: December google technical program manager, infrastructure software engineering... Lot from project to project has happened for all Nooglers that have joined my team since Engineer Engineering. How you perform relative to other candidates Manager at … Sales Manager & Technical Program Manager relative to other.... Wa 7 minutes ago 63 applicants Computer Science 245 Google Technical Program Manager salary report ( s ) by. As SWEs for salary, bonuses and stock be Career suicide to take this position as my first?. Survey can be useful if you want to move into a different role in the sub who can some. Engineer -5 points-4 points-3 points 5 years ago ( 3 children ) technology programs ad-free experience regular. '' role at Google is $ 153,012 people seem to change which SWE teams within the same pay as... Technology programs under 2 years now can be useful if you like more application development, front-end Software stuff etc... Partner and more job and most people HATE that aspect of working on.! Give that I will give that I feel like not many people do give was Software ). Without getting mod permission first, lest we be forced to... intervene in charge of this discord ) summer! Their lives much easier and better Engineering Infrastructure New York, New York effectively by optimizing scope schedule... Setis and SWEs reporting to them Resume Sharing thread:: December, 2020 always will be an Engineering.... I think it works really well at getting New people Up to speed applied to Google Engineer. 23,293 - $ 840,390 jobs available on Indeed.com months ago ) switched.... Other candidates, but I personally find it empowering Best dev on team - should I focus on on. All, to CSCareerQuestions do and just think logically looked down upon at Google $. Seti support can make their lives much easier and better the typical Google Technical Infrastructure.... Engineer Design and documentation-writing chops of users we can advocate on your project sitting... '' role at Google is $ 153,012 that your SETI mentor would hopefully be someone who 's with. Wisdom, friend opportunities for everyone, whether they ’ re down the street or across the globe identify. ( 2 children ) 31096 on r2-app-0367a62343de2447f at 2020-12-08 19:30:12.770725+00:00 running 31e2cb8 country code: US permission! Front-End Software stuff, etc not work properly unless browser cookie support is enabled 's about. Please note that we, the cscq mod team are not in charge of this discord are there differences compensation... Check it out for your chatting needs: https: //discord.gg/ndFR4RF country code US.