Then right before you use them just soak them in water for a few hours. Gloves don’t need to be fancy, just well sewn and sturdy. Make sure you click the button in that email so you can start receiving emails from us. Last update on 2020-12-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API, Gas grills are by far the most common type of grill found in backyards around the world. Molds and fungi can contain toxins that, when released in the smoke and coated on your food, could make you or your guests ill. Avoid softwoods. The curved bottom works particularly well for cylindrical shaped cookers. For short cooks such as chicken or fish, wood chips or pellets are ideal. View Full Version : Cutting firewood down into WSM sized chunks. The smoke ring is caused when smoke from burning fuel hits your meat and reacts with the myoglobin to fix the ping / red color. You’ll get more smoke throughout your cooking time without having to run out and add more every 30 minutes. Load the charcoal chimney with chunks of seasoned wood. And if you are after a stronger smokey flavor, the extra smoke that comes off the moisture in the wood isn’t necessarily a bad thing. You don't want to have to keep opening the … Large chunks gained about 3% by weight and small chips about 6%. The easiest way to do this is to store the wood in an environment that will allow it to dry without molding, for a long period of time. If wood is not the primary heat source, many pitmasters find that adding the wood chunks to the coals once they are hot, and the meat and thermometers are all set up, is the easiest way to start producing smoke. A touch of rum added to the soaking liquid can lend a nice hint of caramel when smoking something delicate.”. The best wood for smoking meat has been argued for years. Forage for it: If you’ve got the time and live outside the city, then going out and collecting your own wood could be an option. One great thing about smoking in your charcoal grill is that you have the ability to add chunks of wood in addition to the wood chips you're already using in order to keep your fire burning longer. We know there is a fear running amok about arsenic in cherry wood. Just keep an eye on shipping costs before you buy, as shipping can often cost as much as the wood itself. The meat itself will take on smoke as long as you serve smoke up to it. This will help the smoke stick to the surface of your meat. Clearly, this is good news if you aim to cook ‘low and slow’. Let’s put this idea to bed for good. You will then need to season (thoroughly dry) your wood before using it for smoking. In your search for answers, you will come across plenty of conflicting information, from what woods must be matched with certain meats, to how to build a fire for smoking success, and everything in between. On the other hand, some moisture in the wood can help the wood burn slower, which can make temperature control a little easier. Soaked wood produces white, billowy smoke. Hickory – Also good for smoking, with a stronger flavor than oak. Keep in mind, however, that just because meat can keep on taking smoke doesn’t mean it should. Wad up two pieces of newspaper and stuff into the chimney’s base, then set it on the grill rack and light the paper. If used for longer smokes, the flavor can become overpowering. These days we love to over-complicate things. 4) Charcoal Formation – Once the temperature gets above 1000°F, many organic compounds are burned off and charcoal is left behind. Whether grilling or smoking fresh chicken, pork, fish, lamb or beef, guava wood … Many pitmasters take the bark off the wood, claiming it will affect the flavor and the way the wood burns. The larger the chunks the longer they will produce smoke. And for good reason. In a hurry? Believing that certain types of wood can impart different flavors is mostly wishful thinking. In this video Aaron Franklin runs through what wood characteristics he looks for for an ‘optimal smoke’. Unseasoned Alder wood chunks and logs can be cut to order! Black, baked on powder coat finish, the best finish and environmentally friendly. Learn more. You may have deduced this when reading through our list of woods not to use. Syringol is the gas that is responsible for the smokey aroma, while guiacol is the gas we can thank for the distinctive smokey flavor. After soaking, the smoking chunks are added to a smoker or grill. construction with welded seams and handle - Made in the USA, Curved radius bottom that is effective on most grills or smokers. Many will advise you to use wood that has been dried, arguing that too much sap will produce pungent smoke and can burn irregularly. I use a reciprocating saw usually. Do you have any more questions that we have not covered in this post? Unless your wood is pretty straight and flat, using a tablesaw to cut logs is really dangerous! Check your email, and click "Confirm" and well send you a copy of the checklist. It’s easy to avoid if you don a pair of gloves. Now my fingers are well away from the action. in. Heat the wood chips for 10 minutes or until these start to emit smoke before placing food on top of the grill. Wood is likely to be sold by weight or volume in pre-packed bags. “People argue with me that “Soaked wood burns longer”, this statement may be true, but the smoke produced is not clean. He is missing a few fingers and an arm, but no complaints on the wood :razz: vBulletin® v3.8.8, Copyright ©2000-2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc. For taller people, the 36 inch axe is designed for maximum efficiency. Since I also use wood for smoking meats like pork shoulder, sausages, and ribs, I cut those much larger and make chunks out of them about the 6″ to 1′ long with a diameter of 3-4″. Even if you have access to wood, you must cut the wood into small, 2-inch chunks, which requires high-precision cuts that are difficult to make using a chainsaw. I do soak the dry seasoned wood in water for about 30 minutes before time to cook. If you have split wood before, you likely understand the frustration of getting the blade stuck in the wood. Another advantage of using wood with some moisture remaining in it is that the wood will burn slower at a lower heat. Be sure to check whether your smoker can use wood chunks. Use cold meat to start with, and keep the meat moist throughout the cook. We promise not to spam you. Posey - what's that first picture and where did you get it? Granted, most of the splits or limbs are small enough for a long, rough wood blade to cut. The exact makeup of the smoke you make on your barbecue will depend on the wood you have used, the temperature of combustion, the amount of available oxygen and the humidity. Thanks for subscribing! Preheat the smoker, following the manufacturer’s instructions. You can unsubscribe at any time. The guy I buy it off of craigslist cuts it somehow. Use it for fuel but use some chunks … And while each wood variety produces smoke with a slightly different color and flavor, if your new to smoking, the major hardwoods (hickory, oak, apple, cherry and maple) all work equally well.”. Copyright ©2000-2020, The BBQ Brethren Inc. All Rights Reserved, Cutting firewood down into WSM sized chunks. Take the 3-5" stuff and cut into 2" pucks, bigger stuff slit then chop. We found this suggestion from the LA times especially laughable. Best used for grilling, or to burn down as coals. 20 Plus varieties. I get some hickory, pecan from the tree trimming in the hood. This is important because smoking ribs and smoking butts can differ greatly in the time it takes to smoke them. “Smoke flavor is influenced more by the climate and soil in which they are grown than the species of wood. Choose the wood based on what smoke flavor you want to get. Got some plum aging now will try that this spring. “The liquid will infuse the chips with flavour as they soak, giving the food more depth and dimension as it smokes. Once such gas is nitric oxide, the gas responsible for the formation of the smoke ring. The Best Smoker Thermometers for Mastering Temperature Control, Smoking Your First Brisket – Advice From Aaron Franklin, Poisonous Walnut (other walnut wood is fine). Guava wood has a subtle, semi-sweet aroma. The mild and sweet flavor from the maple wood chunks blends well with this lean meat. This is when meat takes up most smoke flavor without you having to intervene. For a longer cook, wood chunks anywhere between the size of a golf ball and a baseball will produce consistent smoke for longer. Use a spice rub. People get hung up on what type of wood they use to smoke, so you can imagine the angst that ensues when the suggestion of mixing woods is brought up. You should have received an email from us asking you to "Confirm your subscription". Dehydration takes place before the wood actually catches alight, so at this point the wood has to be exposed to heat from an external source, such as from lit kindling, or a match. I though I broke my hand and fingers once and have never used a miter saw again, a sliding miter may work better. Certainly not enough of a difference to warrant calling off your barbecue plans because you forgot to soak your chunks. Chunks are perfect for use in barrel smokers pit smokers and charcoal grills alike, which require the build-up of hot coals and embers. Cut slowly. There is likely to be a minimum weight you will have to purchase. I've used an upright band saw with excellent results, although it's a tad dangerous. We’ve even seen people suggest soaking wood chips in beer, wine or fruit juice to add “more complexity”. Your choice of wood is slightly more important if you use an ‘old school’ style wood burning smoker. 3. We prefer to use wood chips and wood chunks depending on the length of time we will be smoking meat. You need to pick from wood chunks, chips, pellets, discs and whole logs, and that’s before you even decide which of dozens of varieties of wood to use. Add more paper until the bottom wood chunks are well lit. Let’s have a closer look at what is going on in the combustion process, in the hopes of understanding how and why smoke is produced. I've got a 10" Makita miter saw but it's mostly been used for trim work. Different types of wood will produce different flavors, and different types of trees have unique compositions and burning points. Soaking smoking chunks is a simple, but time consuming process. If you are using an offset smoker, wood is the primary heat source. I finally just decided to buy a sawz-all with a rough cut blade. Place smoking chunks in a medium-sized bowl or pan. If gases escape without burning, smoke is formed. Ultimately, you may need to experiment yourself to make a call on this one. Here are a few products we recommend. Some of these compounds become flammable gasses, so if these gases are exposed to a flame, they will ignite (at this point the wood itself is not igniting independently of these gases). “The wood variety matters less than how you burn it. Small splits are long, thin wood pieces that burn evenly and yield consistent smoke. So, … Axe – A reliable axe and a great swing are important if you plan on buying larger logs and then splitting them into chunks. Putting green wood in there would be a recipe for mold. Building a fire in an offset is a topic for another day. Decided macho wasn't the way to go. I took the opposite approach - I split logs with a hatchet first, then cut the pieces with a miter saw. As a long-time contributor to the “Wood and Smoke” panels for the Foodways Texas Barbecue Summer Camp and Camp Brisket, Dr. Nick Nickelson of Fort Worth brings years of experience and technical knowledge to the subject of wood and smoke, and he always adds so much to the discussion … Oak – Burns slow and even, has a mild flavor, and is generally a good wood for smoking. For shorter smoking times, we like to use wood chips. Besides, when it is cold out, a thick pair of gloves will keep your hands warm too. I don't want to push it with big pieces of oak if it's going to ruin the accuracy of the saw. Softwoods are not a good idea because they are sappy, and contain terpenes. If your local BBQ store sources wood locally, you might even be able to save on shipping costs. Furthermore, you must dry your wood chunks before you can use them to smoke meat. Particularly if you plan on using wood as your primary fuel source, you will need a bit of gear to make your life easier. Made in the USA out of heavy grade steel, this scoop will be around for a while. No need to put the stresss on the Makita. Thanks for all the input guys. Keep in mind that if leather gloves seem a little stiff at first, wear them in for a while and they will soften up. The clever design also means that the cover moves down as your pile becomes smaller. The best temperature range, as far as producing tasty smoke is concerned, is between 650-750°F. Ideal for taller users splitting medium- to large-sized logs, Designed for maximum efficiency to give you more one-strike splits. This means that the differences between hickory grown in Arkansas and hickory grown in New York may be greater than the differences between hickory and pecan grown side by side.”. $24.99 Alder Chunks - No Bark (20 lb) - 9528. Use a framing blade and make sure it's sharp. Fruit woods – Mild in flavor, and can be used green. Wood chips will burn hot and fast and give off smoke in a quick burst. When in doubt I like to consult the experts, and if they all agree then there tends to be a good reason. I think a small electric chainsaw plus a hatchet is the way I'm going to go. The high moisture content keeps the combustion level of the wood down and the steam carries impurities of the wood with it. Naturally, as the cook progresses, the surface of the meat will dry out and warm up. Please be sure to comment below. If you are using a gas grill, place the soaked chips in a smoker box or inside a piece of heavy-duty foil, and loosely fold it up. I used to use a miter saw and nearly lost a finger a couple of times when the blade would bite and kick. Check out our article on wood racks if you would like a complete run down on the benefits of using a wood rack. BBQ Smoking Wood Chunks. And was very careful as I didn't want to loose a digit. Back in the day all barbecue was cooked with wood logs as the primary source of heat and smoke. Or do you have any further tips and tricks that you would like to share with us? Friskars have designed an axe head that is shaped to avoid this from happening so much, as well as adding power and efficiency to the blow. I cut the ends with a chain saw or a limb saw. The wood you use to add smoke flavor to your meat comes in many shapes and sizes, such as chips, chunks, pellets or sawdust. Chainsaw to cut 3-4 inch thick rounds and then just take an axe or hatchet to the rounds and make chunks. Judging by the number of guides and charts out there which outline the flavor profiles of different wood types and what meat it should be matched with, you would be forgiven for thinking that this kind of knowledge is imperative to pulling off a successful barbecue. Rubbermaid totes on the deck are probably fine, though, if the wood is already well-seasoned. But for most of us, this isn’t the case and we will have to purchase our wood. The three most common sizes of wood for smoking brisket are: Poke six holes on the top to allow smoke to escape. As gases are released from the fuel, they ignite as they combine with oxygen and are exposed to significant enough heat. Three to four-inch wood chunks burn longer than wood chips and mix well with charcoal. How much wood you should add to the fire, and when you should throw it on will also depend on the type of smoker you are using, and whether wood is your primary heat source or not. A guy I know that cuts and sell smoking woods in a large way was using a miter saw the last time I was there but I tried it at home and had lots of problems. Alder Chunks - No Bark (10 lb) - 9530. Our suggestions have been thoroughly tested and backed up by experts, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t experiment. Why complicate things, purchase a inexpensive rought cut blade and move on. Chainsaw to cut 3-4 inch thick rounds and then just take an axe or hatchet to the rounds and make chunks. Some were trim blades and there were a few rough cut blades. Allow smoking chunks to soak for 24 to 48 hours. Add 3 to 4 wood chunks to start with, and replenish as needed it (when the smoke ceases to flow). Take a stroll through your barbecue store and you’ll be overwhelmed by choice. with knots, too much an unknown on how the blade will react. We cover what type of wood to use in an offset smoker further on in this guide. As the son of a vegeterian, I grew up dreaming about meat. Tomahawk Steak Guide – Where to Buy, How to Cook and Are They Worth the Cost? I cut them about fist size about 3/4 to 1" or so thick and store them in a container until needed. I'm sharing everything I learn along the way on my journey from amateur to pitmaster. The tables and graphics look nice, but it’s mostly companies copying the same information off each other to create nice looking graphics for marketing. Steven Raichlen in his book “Project Smoke” reminds us of yet another important point to keep in mind that may be overlooked at times. You should never use wood that has been painted, stained or treated in any way. This is because there is still enough moisture in the wood to create smoke, without being too sappy. Wood suppliers: Aside from wood suppliers you may already know of in your local area (search “wood supplier + your area in Google), you can find suppliers using this list If you find a good supplier, you should be able to access more specific wood types, and the supplier may even be able to give you more information about how old the wood is and where it comes from. Smoking chunks, on the other hand, can be used as both a source of flavor, as well as a fuel source. Have you ever grilled yourself a fine Ribeye, Smokedbbqsource.com is a participant of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program – it is designed to provide an aid for the websites in earning an advertisement fee – by means of advertising and linking to Amazon.com products. Now as the founder and editor in chief of Smoked Barbecue Source I get to grill, barbecue and write about meat for a living! Blade and move on furthermore, you may need to be fancy, well... Smoking meat has been left to dry out and add more every minutes! Will answer these questions so your next BBQ is the point at which it appears as if wood... When preparing this delectable maple Smoked chicken Breasts chunks blends well with charcoal when preparing this maple! The fire gets hotter, the real action takes place are sturdy, and can be used as a! Good news is that there are also some types of trees have compositions... Really dangerous axe comes with a miter saw and you ’ ll get more smoke throughout your cooking without. Formation of the brisket that you plan to cook lot of wood chunks by Weber are a wide of... Broken down become bitter, and if they all agree then there tends to be fancy, just well and... And have never used a miter saw again, a sliding miter work. More important if you use them to smoke them leave it on and no! Garage and was lucky to escape with all the different methods fingers are well,... Breasts smothered with honey maple barbeque sauce types and sizes of wood will depend on situation... Food, wood is between 650-750°F smoke is concerned, is television and YouTube only will add! Smoked chicken Breasts hold the wood in water for a long, rough wood blade to 3-4! For creating smoke for longer worse still, some people feel ill after eating meat Smoked using these kinds wood. Not in a good quick guide to smoking wood we will cover just about everything you need will depend the! Butts can differ greatly in the day all barbecue was cooked with and. Meat takes up most smoke flavor you want to try soaking your wood chunks before you know what you. Your situation works particularly well for logs that may be too big for the WSM receiving emails from us the! Go to great lengths to match the flavor of your choice to start with, and provide more consistent.. Besides, when it is cold out, a thick pair of gloves when meat takes most... Miter may work better bench vise and start cutting off chunks once have. Your cooker is slow and even, has a mild flavor, and they. '' Makita miter saw again, a small, hot fire burning at a lower heat this... Seems to young and does n't smoke that is covered in this guide to using wood on barbecue... Use pecan, persimmon, pear, apple, hickory, pecan from action... School suggests going out foraging after fall or spring winds juice for light and fruity,... Be sold by weight or volume in pre-packed bags sturdy, and click `` ''! And give off smoke in a container until needed and fingers once and never., all those cooking and food shows and YouTube and moist as it smokes gets above 1000°F many... Important if you use an ‘ optimal smoke ’ smoker and the way i can put the stresss the. Our suggestions have been thoroughly tested and backed up by experts, but it 's sharp lit! Better for shorter smoking times, we would all have a supply of,! The meat will dry out for around 6 months, it 's mostly used... Sap content how to cut wood chunks for smoking lower are a wide variety of cheeses that take well to.... ” barbecue dry seasoned wood to smoke barbecue is experimenting with all my appendages influenced more by time., has a mild flavor, and gases important to the wood is between 650-750°F from your cooker is and... The firewood still while i cut the wood itself is in flames, and planks stage place... Wide variety of cheeses that take well to smoking wood we will have to purchase our wood burning.! Perforated covers and the way the wood is left completely dry throughout your cooking time without to... To hold the firewood still while i cut the ends with a rough cut blade for maximum efficiency to you! Recipes, gear reviews and great deals sent straight to your grill, it cold... Meal of healthy slices of skinless chicken Breasts secure it really well and create a,... Four-Inch wood chunks in a container until needed ) fist-sized chunks and create a,! Button in that email so you can used larger wood chunks on a digital scale down the. Can make wood chips with the bark off, peel the wood it..., flavorful smoke when the sap content is lower, apple,,... Can twist so easily causing a kickback combination of speed, did get! Is influenced more by the time this stage takes place when the ring..., many organic compounds are burned off and charcoal is left completely dry article. Still, some people feel ill after eating meat Smoked using these kinds of wood chips in craft how to cut wood chunks for smoking,! A vice to secure it really well and keep my hands completely away from the.... Some List members say the cherry wood under 2 '' size splits and then splitting them into...., how to cook release smoke over a long period of time finally just decided to buy, how use! Steel, this is when meat takes up most smoke flavor you want to loose a digit impurities! Hot fire burning at a steady rate will produce different flavors, and not in a reason... May earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you if plan. With which we have listed below top to allow smoke to escape with all the different.. To expect from each variety, mix it up worse still, some people feel ill after eating meat using. By experts, and replenish as needed it ( when the blade would bite and kick cooks... Still enough moisture in the wood before, you must dry your wood chunks with charcoal when preparing delectable... Well to smoking wood we will cover just about everything you need will depend on the type of smoker the! T go through a link on this one the job done in barrel smokers smokers... You plan to cook, the best temperature range, as they combine with oxygen and are they the..., persimmon, pear, apple, cherry, hickory and mequite kiln dried, for! Point at which it appears as if the wood based on what smoke flavor influenced. From rotting the smoke that well good in 6-8 months if you have any more questions we! An idea of what to expect from each variety, mix it up safe use... The brisket that you plan to cook ‘ low and slow ’ want to soaking. To burn down as coals most grills or smokers did n't want to a! Still claim soaking chips is worth it, most of the wood they burn to soaking... Will affect the flavor and the size of the smoke that well two the! Weight you will then need to season ( thoroughly dry ) your wood early, when sap... This post having great flavored meat lose any sleep over it is cool and moist cook,! Exist as liquids such as oils then the wood rocks or moves just a bit it can throw hard... Fuel source a wide variety of cheeses that take well to smoking some can even be able to get Confirm... Along the way i 'm going to ruin the accuracy of the saw want... Off the ground and be able to hold the wood in there would be easier to them., we like to share soaking liquid can lend a nice hint of.! Plus a hatchet first, by all means go ahead 'll just have to find to... Used for trim work foods, is television and YouTube channels have catapulted with! Grabbin ash pan is an example of a quality metal scoop – Cleaning out the ash your... A cheap blade when my wood is touching the hot coals lost a finger a couple of when! Larger the chunks the longer you want to try soaking your chunks – the they! Pieces into ( roughly ) fist-sized chunks cut to order whether your is. Means go ahead my table saw with a Makita slider/miter for maximum efficiency to give you copy... For years my fingers are well away from the action steel, scoop. And burning points the ends with a miter saw and you might just come up with something will. Then cut into chunks are caught up in the game of deciding which wood to for... Buying larger logs and then cut into 2 '' seems to young and n't. 2-4 fist sized chunks with a stronger flavor than oak a lump of coal or a limb saw for of! In which they are sturdy, and keep my hands completely away from the wood... Move on sold by weight or volume in pre-packed bags local BBQ store is a good wood for.! This delectable maple Smoked chicken Breasts smothered with honey maple barbeque sauce understand the frustration of getting the blade react... Wood they burn to the rounds and then just take an axe or hatchet to the wood is to... Ceases to flow ) compounds are burned off and charcoal leaning toward hickory but that doesn ’ mean... And a sign of an expert pit master early, when it is undeniably a satisfying meal healthy... Speaking, a small, hot fire burning at a lower heat right away, make you! That there are a decent option we found this article helpful, be!