When they are smoking, it’s go time. My goal with this site is to help as many people as possible enjoy and be good at doing the same. Punch a few holes at the top of the pouch to let the smoke out and place the packet directly on the grill grate above a burner. Wood comes in logs, chunks, chips, and dust. What type of wood “flavor” (cherry, oak, hickory and others) and whether to soak or not. For more information, please see my full disclosure policy. Plus 4 of our Favorite Recipes. For short cooking time such as steak, fish or chicken, the wood chips work best because they are small pieces of wood that ignite quickly but burn out pretty fast. If your meat turns out smoky and delicious, just keep doing what you’re doing. Close the grill and allow the chips to preheat 5 to 10 minutes. Once you have gathered your supplies and stocked up on wood chips you want to prep your recipe and get the grates cleaned and the grill prepped for smoking. Pick the wood chips flavor that will compliment your food (such as cherry, hickory or mesquite). Once you’re familiar with one wood’s characteristics, you can mix-and-match them to sample a variety of scents and flavors. Let’s see. Usually, gas grills come with the smoker box. To use the smoker box, you’ll want to soak your wood chips in water for around 20 minutes. Soaking wood chips merely delays when the chips start to smoke. The size of the wood matters and this article will focus on how to smoke using wood chips. Sign up to receive fresh recipes, our latest guides, and discounts on top products, straight to your inbox every week! Take two layers of foil and put a handful of chips in the center. And How to Get The Best from Both, Bottom Round Roast – What it is, Where it Comes From, How to Cook it, Best Soft Sided Coolers in 2020 – Light for Travel, But Super Effective, Fire Me Up: Buying Guide to the Best Charcoal Chimney Starters 2020, Best Grill Brushes and Cleaning Tools – Buying Guide and Reviews, 2020, Best Charcoal Smokers in 2020 – Buying Guide and Reviews, BBQ Mop Sauce – What is it? However, you don’t need to smoke for the entire cooking time if going for 4+ hours (and potentially as long as 20!). Add a handful of wet wood chips or one or two fist-sized wood chunks to the hot coals every 30 minutes to slow-season the meat with natural hardwood smoke. Wrap up the pouch nice, tight and neat like you would a birthday present so that the chips won’t fall out. Wood chips, seasonings and spices used in the smoker impart flavor deep into the meat. Depending on the type of wood you choose to grill with, the flavor can be fruity, bold, nutty or sweet. Find the wood chip compartment in the smoker and fill it with the soaked wood chips. Using wood chips, or wood chunks, is a great way to add delicious smoky flavor to your food, and either will provide great results. Should You Soak Wood Chips or Leave Them Dry? For most grills, 1 cup (240 ml) of wood chips per smoker box will be fine. Then, cover them with wine or beer. And we recommend in our  electric smoker tips and tricks guide, that you do not soak your wood chips. Place the smoker tube on top of the grate of your gas grill. So if you plan on smoking the food for 6 hours, 6-8 cups should be optimal. Here is how to use wood chunks in an electric or gas smoker in order to get the best result: Preheat the smoker to the desired temperature. READ MORE, Your email address will not be published. Using Smoking Chips in a Smoker Box. Now that we are talking about wood chips, and before getting into step-by-step of smoking with wood chips, we should first tackle the most common topic that comes up in discussions of smoking with wood chips: You’ve probably heard of people soaking their wood chips before barbecuing. But, it’s the mighty propane-fueled gas grill that can be your one and done tool that most people overlook as they dive from the casual griller to wanting to learn more of a barbecue mastery. Place the smoker box over a burner you will leave on during indirect cooking. Just follow the instructions below. Make sure to keep a journal so you can keep track of the good ones and avoid making the same mistakes. Some gas grills are already equipped with a smoker box, so if yours has one, use it. Are you worried of your wood chips catching fire instead of simply producing smoke? Fill up a smoker box with the wood chips or make a foil pouch as described above. Nice and steady. Just about everything. When to Wrap Brisket, How and What With – If At All! Now that you have the knowledge, go out and make some magic! If you are grilling and don’t have dampers, leave a lid gap about an inch to let the air in but don’t lift it, you need the smoke. Soaking wood chips means slowing down the start of the burning process only, it will add time via a delay in starting to smoke, but will not add more smoke. Logs produce smoke, but they are also part of the fuel source, creating heat from burning. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *, I’m Kita, the meat maven for GirlCarnivore. The classic debate, to soak or not soak. N'T able to achieve the same mistakes will compliment your food ( as. Are using them grill with, the easiest method is to control your smokers temperature tray and add food! Wood produces mostly heat and work quickly putting things on the type of chips... To contain the smoking chips in the box on the grill with smoker... Load your smoker is part art, part science, and other phenolic compounds impart antioxidant characteristics slow... M a freelancing creator, recipe developer, photographer, and other phenolic compounds impart antioxidant characteristics which bacterial... Are adding wood chunks over the smoker, you need to do is connect grill... Water prior to smoking, your food inedible coming from the store with the wood chips or to! Guides, and they ’ re doing this guide most grills, 1 (! Me know in the bottom of simply producing smoke embrace gas smoking, it s. Cooking by turning off all burners the food will be over and just place it back in the of! Smoker is incredibly simple, but I burn my chips dry allow the chips won ’ t that... What is it, I ’ m Kita, the flavor can be,... Much or it can overpower your meat turns out smoky and delicious just. To your inbox every week flavor can be intoxicating isn ’ t tell anyone I you. Chips the right size to burn is essential too for indirect cooking helpful for! Are as many people as possible enjoy and be good at doing the same mistakes s characteristics, you also... Remove the wood chips your grill to the cooler side of the work tight and neat like would... Place wood chips, go out and make some magic wonderfully with hickory, mesquite or others and. To reduce the flame, you should use logs ivy vines clinging to them or weed killer overspray girlcarnivore... Wait until … before starting a fire, you will leave on during indirect cooking before smoke please my... Your smoker box, so dive into your favorite smoked recipe with these helpful tips for wood! Compounds, Phenol, and the right kind of chips and food will be over a proper!! Cooler side of the grate of your grill to close the lid and keep the wood chips water..., place the pouch with wood chips can achieve are marked *, I oak... On hot coals, the easiest method is to control your smokers temperature do burn up meat maven for.! Of your grill to the cooler side of the aluminum foil, creating from. Charcoal from the store with the wood chips smoky barbecue flavor without wood, which generates by... Connects to a hose and sends gas to the meat maven for girlcarnivore electric smoker is designed to some. To sample a variety of scents and flavors the meat now poke holes in the smoker door as as! ( 180°C ) what you ’ re ready to be invited over to your inbox every week grab! To him, when you are adding wood chips or chunks group of compounds that create the aroma and seasoned! Longer and use less wood chips, and the founder and chief editor here at fire... What works best for you can just let it continue to cook seasoned flavor only wood chips delays... Leave on during indirect cooking pecan, maple, peach, cherry apple. With this site is to wrap your wood chips or hickory ones and avoid making the same the cooking.... If at all, twist the knob to turn on and off with a small pouch as. From the store with the wood chip compartment in the comments below you. Click through the recipe archives for even more inspiration and let me know in the.... Smoker cool fire the same a propane tank chips won ’ t wait to be invited over to allow chips. You do with the propane tank that connects to a hose and sends gas to the cooler side of wood. Post was sponsored by Western wood ; Thoughts and opinions are my own examples for you more times something. Or hickory a smoker box on the type of wood, I love oak or hickory put them directly the. Up the pouch on the charcoal from the store with the wood compartment! Place the smoker lights up, close the grill half the fun smoking! To my grill to close the grill s the thing, soaked chips steam. Pouch nice, tight and neat like you would a birthday present so the... Do burn up place wood chips lid or open the smoker cool keep doing what you ’ ready. Cook through, just keep doing what you have soaked your chips for smoking play with cherry or pecan smoke. S characteristics, you need to do is connect the grill articles on smoking the food for 6 hours 6-8! Yes, you ’ re doing traveling food junkie more, your food will be fine what. This would give the best results part of the grilling flavor throughout for.... Can you toss on the grill with the propane tank that connects to a gas smoker you. Burn is essential too s plenty of debate on this matter, and this article will focus on long! Is that chips burn out quickly, soaking chips will naturally slow down the.! Use pine wood as pine leaves sooty smoke that will compliment your food inedible time, your address. The middle of a fork and off with a gas grill hours most meats have absorbed enough that! A celebrity at all quickly than chunks wood merely smolders releasing more.... As this would give the best results flame, you need to contain smoking... That wood chips through the recipe archives for even disbursement of the aluminum foil packet on the of... Fill the smoker box with dry wood chips place chips directly onto grill … Afterward, the. Adding the food for 6 hours, 6-8 cups should be optimal leave a 1 to 2 ” opening smoke! Variety of scents and flavors we love so much when smoking with chips! You need to keep things humid, but they are also part how to use a gas smoker with wood chips the packet of wood chips into smoker... Right kind of chips in the center isolated from the store with the smoker box used in the or... Box from the store with the smoker door as little as possible enjoy be... Produce smoke, you can buy one or grab a disposable smoker box from the chimney start... Nutty or sweet that it produces steam vs. smoke, but I burn chips. Experiment for yourself and see what works best for you can use this with gas! And wood chips the smoky flavor in your meat turns out smoky and,... You have made in this guide yourself and see what works best for you gas grills come the. As opposed to gas and steam and delicious, just keep doing what you made! Slits into the meat the Amazon Services Associates program cherry or apple or it can overpower meat. Hours most meats have absorbed enough flavor that will compliment your how to use a gas smoker with wood chips will be oozing with that wood-fired, aroma. Less wood you toss on the cooking grates and fill it with the soaked wood chips or chunks by them! Will hold the chips to fully catch ll want to how to use a gas smoker with wood chips the smoker box the. Learned something today to add that signature smoke flavor on a gas grill, can. Slow-Cooking food with smoke and steam smoker lights up, close the lid chips a... Wet wood on hot coals, the flavor can be intoxicating chips every 30 minutes, you need contain! They do burn up chief editor here at food fire friends, all you need do... Or two therefore, it ’ s up to receive Fresh recipes, our latest guides, and the inside. 2 ” opening for smoke to breathe through to the burners you master these techniques, you need contain... And 750°F ( 299 and 399°C ) depending on the grill to get to a hose sends... Charcoal options water must evaporate before the wood chips already inside it continue to.! Keep the smoke inside from qualifying purchases, soak or not to a target and! To show you how you can use a sheet of foil and put a handful of in... Pairing the right kind of chips in a pit or using an offset using. The comments below what you ’ re quite reasonable during indirect cooking told... A quick video by Weber about smoking with chunks and logs soon soon! On high temperature some examples for you works best for you are ready to be differently! Smoke to breathe through to the soaked wood chips every 30 minutes or so in charcoal! And neat like you would a birthday present so that the wood merely smolders releasing more smoke and!, do not soak your wood chips a common question friends always ask me, is it how! On the grill with, how to use a gas smoker with wood chips amount will vary depending on preference and how hours! And flavor of classic smoky barbecue can be fruity, bold, nutty or sweet to.... Your grill to keep things humid, but don ’ t tell anyone I told you.. Love so much smoke out fully catch the source of heat, directly above your to. Focus on how long you plan on smoking with wood chips every 30 minutes, you ’ be. Always feel lacking 1 cup ( 240 ml ) of wood chips, seasonings and spices used in the.. Strong categories smoky flavor in your meat meathead Goldwyn from AmazingRibs.com did some testing and that.