The official language of Lucerne is (the Swiss variety of Standard) German, but the main spoken language is the local variant of the Alemannic Swiss German dialect. Lucerne ( loo-SURN, French: [lysɛʁn]; German: Luzern [luˈtsɛrn] (listen); Lucerne German: Lozärn; Italian: Lucerna [luˈtʃɛrna]; Romansh: Lucerna [luˈtsɛrnɐ] (listen)) is a city in central Switzerland, in the German-speaking portion of the country. When oat seeds are planted, they first grow as a grass. The name lucerne is the more commonly used name in the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. We don't have any banner, Flash, animation, obnoxious sound, or popup ad. It was a hard sell at first, but now they love it. Alfalfa is a type of hay.. but is richer than say local or timothy. High quality alfalfa grass cattle feed seed lucerne seeds hay for sale. Be sure to use your real name when leaving a comment so we can match it up with your entry in case you win. Required fields are marked *. We were feeding good quality 70% grass, 30% alfalfa hay and supplementing our milkers with Stadlee alfalfa pellets in their grain. I think it’s an effective way to get them back into shape after a birth too. If you click on the “Shop” link above, you can also order my books. Wow what a difference in his attitude! It’s going to be hard because they all eat out of the same feeder, but I’ll figure it out. The crop may be cut four or six times a year … A jugerum of it is abundantly sufficient for three horses all the year … It may be given to cattle, but new provender is at fir… You pay the same price when you purchase through affiliate links as you would if you went directly to Amazon, and our site earns a small commission, so by shopping through our links, you are helping to support our blog so that we can continue to provide you with free content. If you would like a chance to win, follow the directions below. Goats do eat a lot of different forage than horses, and they are not as picky in terms of species of plants, but they do have a rumen that can be upset fairly easily if there is mold in hay. Lucerne Hay For Sale, Alfalfa Hay For Sale, Hay Bales For Sale Near Me in Australia. According to Pliny (died 79 AD), it was introduced to Greece in about 490 BC when the Persians invaded Greek territory. Hay nutrition can also vary from year to year depending upon weather and crop management. Alfalfa hay and timothy hay are both forage sources commonly used in rabbit and guinea pig diets. Make sure to check back on the website when we announce the winner and check your spam folder so you won’t miss our email! One of the city's famous landmarks is the Chapel Bridge (German: Kapellbrücke), a wooden bridge first erected in the 14th century. They also get 1 lucerne & 1 1/2 bisc grass hay a night, and a bisc of lucerne of a morning. Please add askdifference.com to your ad blocking whitelist or disable your adblocking software. Annie Eallonardo 38@gmail.com. When I got started with goats I barely knew the difference between hay and straw. Since I’m writing about hay today, and Standlee sells hay in bags and bales in stores across the U.S., they sponsored this post and agreed to give one of my readers a coupon for a totally free 50-pound bale or bag of their hay or any other forage product, such as the hay pellets or cubes. We use Alfalfa & Grass hat for our goats. Every farm is different, which is why I always explain the WHY between the WHAT in my articles. But alfalfa hay is not the best for all animals. Alfalfa hay is used primarily for dairy cattle which provides an ideal combination of crude proteins, fats, sugars, fibers, as well as essential minerals. Lucerne Hay Alfalfa hay, Medicago sativa, also known as Lucerne grass, is one of the most important forage crops cultivated agriculture. This is Goats 101 — https://thriftyhomesteader.teachable.com/p/goats101/ I remember when I first started and was using hay for bedding….didn’t realize how much warmer straw was, and how much cheaper! I’m a total newbie & am trying to prepare myself as best as I can before we get our first (does for milking) next year. The main difference between Lucerne and Alfalfa is that the Lucerne is a city on Lake Lucerne, in central Switzerland and Alfalfa is a species of plant, alfalfa. I have now transitioned them to bermuda grass, which is the only grass hay available in my area, and Standlee timothy grass pellets. Yes - just the same. The Alfalfa sprouts you eat in your sandwiches are a variety of the lucerne hay you feed your horses or cattle. If they are under two months old, they probably need more milk. It is cultivated as an important forage crop in many countries around the world. Thank you for this article! Oats can be grown for hay or oats and straw. I see what people cut for what they call hay. We feed first cut grass hay from our farm! Some will be higher or lower than others, so if I’m feeding three different cuttings, hopefully they will average out to be about right. The protein level varied from 19 to 26%, while calcium varied from .97 to 1.31%. While milk cows should have alfalfa, beef cattle should stick with grass hay. A few months ago I wrote about the differences between baled hay, hay cubes, and hay pellets. hay because the hay is a bit harder to manage than alfalfa. I also don’t recommend protein pails or mineral blocks. This is usually what dairy cows eat, the protein content is too high for a horse. Is this a good practice? They prefer grass hay with a little alfalfa. Alfalfa forage and dry feeds are being added into daily rations of young animals, breeding animals and adult animals and horses. Didn't occur to me lol! They always went for the alfalfa. Alfalfa has two to three times as much calcium as grass hays. That means that if you’re milking your does for the first three months of pregnancy, they are just always eating alfalfa from pregnancy through milking. When it looks like grass, it can be cut and baled as hay. Here is more info about what goats eat — It is used for grazing, hay, and silage, as well as a green manure and cover crop. You’ll have 3 days to respond if you win or we will draw another winner. I have a 10 yo performance gelding, and he eats very slow. If junk is ok for the goats then that is fine, just checking if it would be fine. Four months is good but three months would be better. We currently feed our goats with grass hay from our property. In some states it is considered to be an invasive species, as it is not a native north American grass. The leaves are the part of highest nutritive value but can be easily lost during the hay making process. That’s a shame. Later in maturity, leaflets are elongated. Like all grasses, if oats are allowed to just keep growing, they go to seed. It is used for grazing, hay, and silage, as … He was started on soaked cubes … Lucerne hay, when it is produced and stored correctly is commonly green in colour and should, on closer inspection contain a high percentage of leaf material and fine stems. Introduction If you have ever driven across the desert west of the United States and noticed occasional fields of bright green grass, chances are you saw alfalfa. Round bales can hide a lot, so you would really need to talk to the person who baled it. Alfalfa hay is used primarily for dairy cattle which provides an ideal combination of crude proteins, fats, sugars, fibers, as well as essential minerals. Along with Clover and some others. On the milk stand or once a day if not being milked: organic alfalfa pellets mixed with Timothy pellets then add calfmana, goat balance, and black oil sunflower seeds (coconut oil add in winter). Although I quickly learned that hay is food and straw is bedding, I just assumed that all hay was the same. My weekly newsletter includes recipes and articles on homesteading, raising livestock, health, and gardening. And the Sometimes, they just regard it as grass that seemed to have overgrown. When I can’t find enough good quality green hay, I supplement my goats, sheep, and pigs with hay pellets. Categories // cattle, goats, livestock health. I hope you clicked on the “leave a blog comment” button in the box above because you already left a comment. A plant, principally of Medicago sativa, grown as a pasture crop. Alfalfa generally has the highest nutritional value of all common hay crops, particularly protein and energy, making it a great choice of feed for cattle, horses, rabbits, goats, or sheep. What about endophyte free fescue for bucks and wethers and mixing it with alfalfa for kids/pregnant does/milking does? I’m currently waiting for my goat kids to arrive but when that do I’ll know exactly what to feed them thanks to you. I mostly give my goats grass hay, as that is what I have available. It is very cold here! So yesterday i learned that lucernce and alfalfa are the same thing! The protein levels will vary as to fertilizer and moisture conditions. For example, Grandma-T feeds Calf Manna, which sounds like it’s working for her, but that is normally only used to fatten up calves for butchering or giving to a goat that is extremely underweight, and you’ve already done a full health check to be sure that it doesn’t have a medical problem that’s causing the low weight. Alfalfa hay for cows It is worth to notice that due to its immense nutritional properties Alfalfa hay is considered to be one of the most applied and popular as a horse feed. The city's urban area consists of 19 municipalities and towns with an overall population of about 220,000 people.Owing to its location on the shores of Lake Lucerne (German: Vierwaldstättersee) and its outflow, the river Reuss, within sight of the mounts Pilatus and Rigi in the Swiss Alps, Lucerne has long been a destination for tourists. Very healthy, happy, beautiful, spoiled goats. And that seems to have worked well for us. I’m glad you find it helpful! I’ve been feeding everyone mostly alfalfa for five years!! Now our buck is losing patches of hair, I believe from zinc deficiency from alfalfa. All my goats used to get alfalfa, until I took your Goats 101 course (which I highly recommend!). The nutrient value of the hay is also dependent on when it’s harvested—early maturity harvests will contain more of their nutrients than hay that is harvested closer to seed production. I am struggling with soaked alfalfa cubes vs. Pellets vs. Hay. Hay vs Grass Especially to those persons who don’t see hay too often, they really can’t discern the plant from basic grass. Thank you for this post. Success! In the US it is called alfalfa, here we call it lucerne (the proper English term :-)), and it is grown mostly in irrigation areas. We do not implement these annoying types of ads! Don't sprout commercial lucerne seed, for eating as it will have been treated with Alfalfa seems to have originated in south-central Asia, and was first cultivated in ancient Iran. Alfalfa hay is the most well-known and widely fed legume (called “lucerne” in many parts of the world), and clovers are another type of legume that are also commonly incorporated in many feed programs. Obtaining lucerne hay with a moisture content low enough to prevent mould sporulation in storage was always a problem with the older “small square” balers. I know the basics about soaked cubes, but I am finding that there is so much waste. We won't send you spam. If they say something like, “it’s good enough for goats,” then it is NOT. We buy our hay at a Tractor Supply and are ver happy with it, but it isn’t cheap.. The high-quality hay for horses ALFALFA Glenn E. Shewmaker University of Idaho Dan Undersander University of Wisconsin Laurie M.Lawrence A lfalfa is often the pre-ferred forage for horses because of its high quality, high digestibility, and good roughage value No sweet feed or grain ever. And if you leave a comment, don’t forget to click on the Rafflecopter entry stating that you left a comment because the winner is chosen randomly by Rafflecopter. They let it keep growing until the seed heads mature, and then they let the entire plant dry before harvesting the seeds with a combine. To give everyone a chance to win, each person can only win once every 6 months. Alfalfa sprouts are a common ingredient in dishes made in South Indian cuisine. Thanks. It is about the same as Timothy in nutrition. I’m not a horse expert, but I think most horses do okay on grass hay. I often hear people say they want to give their animals “the best” feed, and they assume alfalfa is best because it has more protein and calcium. https://thriftyhomesteader.com/goat-minerals/, I use the Standee Alfalfa pellets for my horse,! We are getting a load of grass hay tonight so hopefully he will start growing his hair back, but in the meantime I wonder if he needs a supplement? Do they not grow lucerne in SW WA? The dried up and dead stalks are still standing in the field, so then the farmer goes back and cuts the brown stalks and bales them as straw. So is Orchard, Bermuda, Coastal, etc. And of course underbrush and grass/weed forage. Thanks for the info! If it was newly baled, it should still be green on the outside, but over time, the outside of the bale will fade to brown, although it will still be green inside. In general, the protein in lucerne/alfalfa is in excess of the requirement of the horse, and grass hay or oaten chaff may be just Alfalfa , also called lucerne and called Medicago sativa in binomial nomenclature, is a perennial flowering plant in the legume family Fabaceae. Hi there. Alfalfa is native to warmer temperate climates. Alfalfa contains higher concentrations of protein and calcium compared to timothy hay (Table 1). Standlee Forage makes hay pellets with alfalfa, timothy, and oat grass. Timothy is a type of grass hay. It's really good for putting on weight fastAlfalfa is a type of leguminous plant that is made into hay. There is. I feed Standlee’s Timothy grass pellets to my buck and alfalfa and alfalfa/timothy pellets to my pregnant does. The bales often spring open after the strings are cut and are harder to divide into flakes. Alfalfa has about 16 to 20 percent protein, while grass hays are only 8 to 10 percent protein. If you give me more details on age and what they’re eating, I can help you trouble shoot. Bucks get Timothy hay, and forage. They may also be having a challenge with coccidiosis or worms. Is it normal for them to love one bag, but then barely tolerate the next? If goat kids are underweight, the answer is not grain. Alfalfa, clover, and peanut are legume hays, while timothy, oat, bermuda, and orchard are examples of grass hays. You may need different qualities of hay for different horses—leafy hay for weanlings, for instance, and more mature hay for adult horses that do not need such fine hay. Great article! Nutritionally speaking, however, they are very different. LOL. Alfalfa (), also called lucerne and called Medicago sativa in binomial nomenclature, is a perennial flowering plant in the legume family Fabaceae. Thrifty Homesteader is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. thanks! Alfalfa was recommended for a friend’s anemic goat (treating for barber pole too) :(. It has been cultivated as livestock fodder since at least the era of the ancient Greeks and Romans. I’m assuming that none of them will be perfect. I’m new to buying any kind of hay. Someone else left a comment about a class you offer, how do I sign up? Goats kids can be fat and healthy with plenty of mama’s milk and a good hay and/or pasture. The tests covered five cuttings across three years. They really need a buddy that speaks their language. We are new to both goats and sheep and are learning quickly what they will eat or not. Here is more on goat minerals: That is definitely not the case. https://thriftyhomesteader.com/what-do-goats-eat-it-depends/, Your email address will not be published. We've detected that you are using AdBlock Plus or some other adblocking software which is preventing the page from fully loading. Also known as- Medicago sativa, lucerne, holy-hay, and trefoil. Here’s an article from UC Davis about why horses should not have alfalfa. We have one goat and one horse, can they ea from t the same hay bale? Lucerne may have anywhere from 16 to 20% protein, while grass may only have 4 to 12% protein, depending on the quality of the hay. I need all the help I can get. This time Galen wants to buy round bales for fall and winter and I am afraid it will just be all junk. The name alfalfa is used in North America. I tried to enter the giveaway but I don’t have Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest so I guess I cannot. Dry adult does, bucks and wethers can wind up with zinc deficiency if they get too much alfalfa. The name lucerne is the more commonly used name in the United Kingdom, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. 07.02.2019 by thriftyhomesteader // 38 Comments. we live in rural NE OK. There is often more waste as horses will sort through the hay, looking for grain or sorting through the stems. They love it and don’t waste any of it! Lucerne (Medicago sativa) is also known as ‘alfalfa’, which means ‘best fodder’ – and this says it all. Thank you Deborah for a great blog and online courses about goats! Alfalfa. We’ve never had our hay tested, but someone shared five of their alfalfa tests with me. Hay is basically a grass that is cut green, then dried and baled. Also, if you subscribe to my newsletter (or are already subscribed), you can get another entry for that. It is used for grazing, hay, and silage, as well as a green manure and cover crop. Here is more info on zinc deficiency: The lucern (Medicago sativa), a leguminous plant having bluish purple cloverlike flowers, and cultivated for fodder; - so called in California, Texas, etc. Your horse should never eat a first or second cutting. Alfalfa (), also called lucerne and called Medicago sativa in binomial nomenclature, is a perennial flowering plant in the legume family Fabaceae. Lucerne is the capital of the canton of Lucerne and part of the district of the same name. Do you have any suggestions? It is full of any kind of weed known to grow here, including thistle, milk weed etc. Please try again. The name alfalfa is used in North America. Great post! Thank you for this article on alfalfa and grass hay. Meg. I would love to try one of their products. The nutritional profiles vary greatly between the legumes and the grass hays. There was an error submitting your subscription. Alfalfa hay may not be suitable for horses suffering with hyperkalaemic periodic paralysis (HYPP) as its concentration of potassium is often quite high (14 – 25+ g/kg). Otherwise there is probably mold growing in them, which can kill goats. We need money to operate the site, and almost all of it comes from our online advertising. Goats eat differnt forage than horses? In the spring, summer & fall they free range on about 8 acres. Great! Alfalfa hay is exactly that, hay. There is no one-size-fits-all diet for goats or horses, and really you should not have a single horse or goat. I would love to try the hay forage! Calf Manna is extremely high in protein, which is tough on goats. We are working to help UK growers of lucerne/alfalfa and to provide a market place for lucerne hay, haylage, chaff and other lucerne products. What is lucerne mulch, and what’s the scoop on lucerne mulch benefits? This is why I buy my hay from three different cuttings every year. It is both grazed and baled for hay. The plant superficially resembles clover (a cousin in the same family), especially while young, when trifoliate leaves comprising round leaflets predominate. Because weather conditions can affect the quality of hay, and most of us buy our hay locally, what do we do if the hay crop isn’t very good one year? Make sure you keep potassium in particular at the 100% RDI in these horses, regardless of the feeds you use. But I do occasionally buy the pelleted alfalfa hay from Standlee. I’m a new goat mama and have been feeding the kids Standlee Alfalfa. Typically bucks recover from zinc deficiency just fine after you remove alfalfa from their diet. Alfalfa’s high protein content makes it ideal for milk Once established, the root structure is vast and deep. I’ve also been adding Standlee alfalfa pellets to my milk goats’ grain for additional insurance ever since they started selling them in our area about ten years ago. The same procedure is followed by Saremco international as well. Alfalfa cultivation is discussed in the fourth-century AD book Opus Agriculturae by Palladius, stating: “One sow-down lasts ten years. No sweet feed or additional gain added ever. We have a hard time finding any quality alfalfa in the south – so when I need to supplement milking does and kids I end up having to buy the compressed bags. It is also drought resistant. It has clusters of small purple flowers followed by fruits spiralled in 2 to 3 turns containing 10–20 seeds. The lucerne hay and grain diet was predicted to produce more ulcers due to the grain contributing to the production of volatile fatty acids (VFA) in the stomach and less saliva production compared to when the horses were fed only grass hay. Leaving a comment is one way to enter the giveaway. But actually, they are closely related to one another. The plant superficially resembles clover(a cousin in the sam… Lucerne (also known as alfalfa) is grown throughout Australia, for use as a green fodder crop for pasture or for conservation as hay, silage or as a dried ground product. If so, do you recommend the pellets or the hay, as we can get Standlee either, but no local alfalfa hay that we can find. If you’re sitting there thinking that you’ve seen oat straw before, you may have! Alfalfa Hay Alfalfa Hay, Medicago Sativa, also known as Lucerne hay or Lucerne grass, is one of the most important forage crops cultivated in agriculture.It is widely grown throughout the world as forage for cattle and is typically harvested as hay. Now check your email to confirm your subscription. Particularly fine-stemmed, leafy alfalfa (rabbit hay or dairy hay) is too rich and palatable for horses (they generally overeat on it) and does not have enough fiber content for proper digestion. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of our to goats and find your article helpful. For my does in milk and kids: Standlee Timothy grass compressed bale hay. Lucerne hay and other products for sale. I have a grass hay that is 17% protein, I was shocked when I got it tested but the Ca/P is 1.46. Lucerne is the king of fodder, yielding a large volume of high quality hay that’s rich in protein.