I think most of their arguments were about who had the B-side -- that royalty thing. ], The trend-setting video, made to promote the single, was directed by Bruce Gowers and cost just £4000, but information regarding the total cost of the audio recording seems to have disappeared. So he played the first part and said, 'This is the chord sequence', followed by the interim part, and although he didn't have all the lyrics together yet, I could tell it was going to be a ballady number. And Back album, Roy Thomas Baker and the Darkness used 400 reels of tape, up to 1,000 tracks per song and a year in the studio — not to mention custom-made panpipes. I just thought that here was a band doing something new and fresh. It was a combination of the extra track-bouncing and the use of the old VCA technology that was employed for the computerisation. He began a work­ing re­la­… Compared with many of today's engineers, they had a different, better level of technical skill.". ", It was in 1972, while on an inspection tour of the De Lane Lea studio complex in Wembley, North London, that Roy Thomas Baker first met Queen, who were then still using the band name Smile. Then he played a bit more later. To be 'seen but not heard' was the task in those days, but I became really good friends with all of them. He did that with vocals as well, which helps make them sound bigger. It's so good, they'll have to invent a new chart position. There are times I can clearly recall where I have made a conscious move to change my direction, and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was the pinnacle of my over-indulgence as a producer. So we all went out for an Indian and Ev asked for a copy. ", One new item of equipment which was installed at SARM only days before the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' mix was the Alison computerised mixing system. If we needed more tracks, we would track bounce to free some more room on the tape. He was offered the post as The Senior Vice-President of "Artist and Repertoire" (A and R) for Elektra Records as executive and/or producer with recording artists The World, Lindsey Buckingham, Mötley Crüe, Joe Lynn Turner, Josie Cotton and Dokken as well as continuing with Queen and The Cars. Baker had already produced Queen's first three albums (Queen, Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack) by the time Mercury casually previewed a new song called 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. - David Prakel, Rock 'n' Roll on Compact Disc, 1987. Vital to Queen's palette of sound was producer Roy Thomas Baker who, while at Decca and Trident Studios, had gained vast experience in rock, opera, and classical music. It was a strange situation where radio on both sides of the Atlantic was breaking a record that the record companies said would never get airplay!". "If something had to be longer, we would just add extra tape. We tried putting microphones down metal and concrete tubes to get more of a honky sound, and it all seemed to work. We said, 'But you haven't heard it yet.' “And it was because of Roy Thomas Baker, who produced the album — he produced Queen and the Cars and everybody like that. Following his successes with Queen and other artists Baker signed a multi album production deal with CBS Music (Columbia Records, Sony Music, Epic Records, etc.). "Moving In Stereo" does just that and is a knock-out track when heard with the solidity and stereo focus of CD. "That was the point at which the VCAs were turned off," Baker explains, "but I did also push it there. By the time we mixed two of the other parts together, the first part was up to eight generations. An AKG D12 was used on the bass drum. It was the oddest thing I'd ever heard! Baker explains the rationale behind it: "We never did a rough mix because we all had Philips dictaphones that we'd stick near the studio monitors and record a mix for private listening. Roy Thomas Baker - Producer History and Techniques. Heaven & Earth, Yes’ new album, was produced by Roy Thomas Baker. Baker has also worked with artists Guns N' Roses, Alice Cooper, Foreigner, Pilot, Ozzy Osbourne, Devo, The Stranglers, Dusty Springfield, T'Pau, Cheap Trick and Lewis Furey. We both just burst out laughing. So we did three tracks of the first part and bounced it to one track, three of the second, and three of the third. Roy Thomas Baker - Producer History and Techniques Roy Thomas Baker (Born in Hampstead, London, UK) is an English record and music producer, songwriter, arranger … Many people assumed it to be a reaction against the growing use of synthesizers in rock and pop music, although producer Roy Thomas Baker insists that this was no moral protest. Later, propelled by the tragic death of its composer, Freddie Mercury, the single returned to Number One for a second time in 1991. "After working at SARM on a few projects, it seemed that Queen didn't want to mix anywhere else for some time. I had worked with the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company at Decca where I learned a lot about vocals and the way vocals are stressed, so I was probably one of the few people in the whole world who knew exactly what he was talking about. In friendly competition with George Martin's AIR production company, Trident started its own independent initiative, Trident Audio Productions, after luring some of the country's best engineering talent, including EMI's Ken Scott and Robin Cable from Saga. His elegant facility is a three-and-a-half hour drive from L.A. in the foothills of the Mojave mountains, above the shores of Lake Havasu. Metamorphosing from wistful ballad to an operatic pastiche with a fiery rock climax, all within six short minutes, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was greeted like manna from heaven in the dull musical wasteland between glam-rock and punk. "There was no stipulation that we wouldn't have any synths, but the statement 'No synths' was printed on the album sleeves because of peoples' lack of intellect in the ears department. "I listen to it now and it's a great piece of art, although I didn't realise at the time we had made a classic. After working on the album A Night At The Opera, Baker took a break from the Queen camp and concentrated his activities on American bands, only to be coaxed back by Roger Taylor for one more Queen album (Jazz) in 1978. So if we ever did any, we would hide them or disguise them. "We found that the different 24-track machines we used had different formats, but we managed to compensate for that. Even if you're restricted to one room, a number of producers suggest trying out different positions of the amp in the room. Roy Thomas Baker engineers space and depth into The Cars' sound without compromising their punchy delivery too much. ", Although a project of this magnitude would understandably cause anxiety among many in Baker's position, the technical restraints of the era did not alarm him. So we had to turn the computer off and the end rock section of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was actually mixed by hand in the traditional way, where we each had control over a fader or group of faders.". Topic. It didn't worry me too much though, because one of the trademarks of Queen was the heavily saturated sound. The transformation between U67s or U87s was going on at that point and studios usually had one or the other. After co-founding Trident's record company Neptune, Baker began working with Queen whom he produced for five albums including the song "Bohemian Rhapsody". They retained Roy Thomas Baker (best known for his work with Queen) as producer, but drummer Aynsley Dunbar was replaced with Steve Smith, formerly with Ronnie Montrose’s band. For example, Roy Thomas Baker mentions that he sometimes sets up the same guitar cab in different rooms because of the effect on the sound. Phil Tan - Audio Engineer Rhianna. The album borrowed its title from a popular 1935 Marx Brothers movie of the same name. Phasing too, and everything had to be done by hand, because there were no effects boxes that could do it automatically. "There were a few harmonies that were a little dissident, such as two notes next to each other which weren't quite spot on in passing phrases. ", Unfortunately, there are no rough mixes around to audibly demonstrate how 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was created in stages. "The opera bit was getting longer, and so we kept splicing huge lengths of tape on to the reel. ", But, as ever, much experimentation was undertaken before Brian May's guitar sound was perfected. Share. Roy Thomas Baker had a hand in producing Queen's first four albums: 1973's 'Queen'; 1974's 'Queen II' and 'Sheer Heart Attack; and 1975's 'A Night at the Opera.' Brian's great strength was in phrasing a part then double-tracking or harmonising very accurately and quickly. The pairing of Roy Thomas Baker and the Darkness is a one-way ticket to heaven. He locked himself in the tape closet at SARM and said he wouldn't come out until they agreed to put it on!" While the first three Queen albums had been recorded on 16-track equipment, 'Bohemian Rhapsody' benefitted from 24-track technology, although not without a few problems. Although 'Killer Queen', a year earlier, showed the band was a cut above the rest of the rock pack in terms of inventiveness, nothing could possibly prepare the listener for 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. A lot of it was backward cymbals, backward gongs, and backward tom fills. I didn't know of the band then and I was more concerned with going over to see what this big, new studio was like. At the time it was the most expensive single ever made and guitarist Brian May was to later refer to the track's parent album, A Night At The Opera, as "our Sgt Pepper". Baker worked on the record from 2000-2002. [Eventually, they did. He happened to be in London and heard it on the radio. We never worried about budgets at that time, but it was cheaper to record then. "Brian was already on to something different, in terms of trying to orchestrate his guitars in a different way to how most people would approach it. In 2005 he produced One Way Ticket to Hell and Back by The Darkness, The Smashing Pumpkins' 2007 album, Zeitgeist, The Storm's 2008 album When the Storm Meets the Ground, The Smashing Pumpkins' American Gothic and One Karma's 2011 albumLife Got in the Way. We would then double bounce to one section, so that particular phrase would have a 3-part harmony just on one track. "The way I rationalised it was that there had previously been Richard Harris' 'MacArthur Park' and Barry Ryan's 'Eloise' (1968) which were very long, and that justified to me that it was probably the right time to release a long song and get away with it. If there was anything we heard at the time which we thought we wouldn't get away with, we would just wipe it and re-record it. Rock music producer Roy Thomas Baker has filed a federal lawsuit in New York against Sony Music Entertainment, alleging the record label owes significant royalties including at … He played a bit further through the song and then stopped suddenly, saying, 'This is where the opera section comes in.' Then, in early 1969, Baker joined the newly-opened Trident Studios as a staff engineer -- a move which was to help make his name. Candid interviews with expert tips will enlighten you with the knowledge that has led the featured producers, engineers and composers to huge industry successes and millions of record sales. Roy Thomas Baker — who would go on to find fame working as a producer with Queen, Alice Cooper & Journey, among other acts — served as the … "We weren't into multiple snare miking back then, so there was just a single mic on the snare. Ken Lewis - Audio Engineer 50 Cent. The thing that made it difficult was that even the end had lots of vocals on it (the 'Ooh yeah, ooh yeah' part), so we had to record the basic backing track of drums, bass, guitar and piano, then do the background vocals without having the lead vocal on first. Roy Thomas Baker (born on 10 November 1946, in Hampstead, London, England) is an English record and music producer, songwriter, arranger and Recording Academy governor, who has produced pop and rock records since the 1970s. He is currently the governor of Langan first became involved with Queen when Roy Thomas Baker brought two songs from the Sheer Heart Attack album to SARM for remixing. Roy Thomas Baker - official site. I was standing at the back of the control room and you just knew that you were listening for the first time to a big page in history. We just used the one machine, because there was no syncing available to us. Baker and Queen recorded the basic backing track in three sections at Kingsley Ward's Rockfield Studios, later transferring to Scorpion Studios in North London and SARM for work on the guitar overdubs and extensive vocals. Baker recalls his first hearing of the song: "We were going out to dinner one night and I met Freddie at his apartment in Kensington. When it got to that stage, the meters were so pinned that the VCAs in the board would not take any more volume. They were doing a song called 'Keep Yourself Alive', which immediately sounded like a hit to me. Roy Thomas Baker. This was before we wore out the master and began making 24-track to 24-track tape transfers. En­cour­aged by music pro­ducer Gus Dud­geon he soon moved to Tri­dent Stu­dios, where he worked with Dud­geon, Tony Vis­conti, Mick Jag­ger and Keith Richards, Frank Zappa as well as record­ing artists like The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, The Who, Gasolin', Nazareth, San­tana, The Moth­ers of In­ven­tion, Be Bop Deluxe, Free and T.Rex. Released on October 31, 1975, it was a production beyond comparison, residing at the top of the UK chart for nine weeks and honoured in 1977 by the BPI as 'The Best Single Of The Last 25 Years'. Veteran music journalist Rick Clark conducted hundreds of revealing interviews with some of the biggest names in the industry to create this extraordinary title. Telefunken had this great idea to make their edge tracks (1 and 24) wider than the inside tracks, because they claimed there would be a higher risk of dropouts on the edges, but this made their machine totally incompatible with others. This useful and entertaining information is organized by subject matter rather than by the celebrity so you can gain various expert advice on the topic you want to know about, and not about the personality you are learning from. I could see the backlash coming, though, just as I could see it happening in the 1980s and out of that came Pearl Jam and Nirvana. But it isn’t the band’s first collaboration with the producer of Queen, Journey and The Cars: 35 years ago, Yes convened in Paris to begin work on their follow-up to 1978’s Tormato, although the sessions never saw the light of … This went on over a three or four day period, while we decided on the length of the section. Roy Thomas Baker (Born in Hampstead, London, UK) is an English record and music producer, songwriter, arranger and Recording Academy governor, who has produced pop and rock records since the 1970s.[1]. Even today, people are still trying to recreate that in-your-face distortion with machinery! ", Sign in|Recent Site Activity|Report Abuse|Print Page|Powered By Google Sites, Roy Thomas Baker - Producer History and Techniques, People + Opinion : Artists / Engineers / Producers / Programmers, Certificate II + Certificate III Course Outline, Beat Mapping Logic Studio X 10.1/Reaper DAW, TPX16A+B - Delay Types and Functions, Using Delays, Faith Hill - Stealing Kisses (Mixing The Hits Of Country), Quincy Jones - Producer History and Techniques, Brian Wilson - Producer History and Techniques, Geoffrey Emerick - Producer History and Techniques, Phil Spector - Producer History and Techniques, Grammy Winning Producer-Engineer Bruce Swedien. "We formed a 3-part harmony by recording one harmony at a time and bouncing. He would be absent on 1976's 'A Day at the Races' and 1977's 'News of the World,' but he would return for 'Jazz,' which would end up being the final album he produced for Queen. View the profiles of people named Thomas Roy Baker. So I ended up working on all of their 'Marx Brothers' albums -- A Night At The Opera, A Day At The Races, andNews Of The World. With Richard E. Grant, Roy Thomas Baker, Jer Bulsara, Kashmira Cooke. Tony Visconti, Danny Elfman, Eddy Offord, Trevor Rabin and Roy Thomas Baker are just a few of the contributors who share their special studio practices, tips, and anecdotes. "We used to have a few different types of mics set up, from which we would choose or blend signals for any one given sound, and it's a technique that I still use today. Moved to Trident Studios. A Night at the Opera was co-produced by Roy Thomas Baker and the individual band members who invented some of the distinctive techniques required to achieve the desired sounds and effects. There was always a slight sound loss when you plugged them into the amp, so we had to compensate for that. View phone numbers, addresses, public records, background check reports and possible arrest records for Roy Thomas Baker. He says: "Nobody really knew how it was going to sound as a whole 6-minute song until it was spliced together. "They were great to work with, although like most bands there was an element of internal bickering. After co-found­ing Nep­tune (Tri­dent's record com­pany), Baker met the rock band Queen. I remember Roger moping about because he really wanted his song, 'I'm In Love With My Car', on the B-side of 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. Renowned multi platnum and award winning music producer. John's bass was DI'd. I was just given a start date and a deadline for the whole album. That's when I ran into the guys and heard their demos. Langan's first task at the sessions was to put together a composite multitrack master from the three distinct sections of the song. Baker was one of the last producers to work on the album before Axl Rose took over the role himself. But there wasn't a single thing we could do about it. While keeping Los Angeles his home base, he has built a beautiful studio complex of his own, complete with tennis court and olympic swim spa. "It was a more difficult situation than working with a band with only one songwriter, because they were all so good. I noticed that when it was resold, it was described as the board used to mix 'Bohemian Rhapsody', and I think they got more money than they originally paid for it. Unfortunately, Telefunken's attitude was: 'We invented the tape machine, we can do what we want!' Once, at Trident Studios, Billy Cobham was working next door and we hid our tapes in that control room, labelling them 'Cilly Bobham'. Studios tended to make up their own DI boxes then, because no manufacturers appeared to be making them. ", The gong which graces the dying moments of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' made its debut on the experimental 1974 Queen IIalbum. Does 'Bohemian Rhapsody' represent the pinnacle of Baker's achievements? "That console was the second B-series model that Trident delivered from Malcolm Toft. Then we did the vocal overdubs at Scorpion Studios, where they had a Telefunken machine. It was the first combination of opera and rock, and the summit of everything we were doing before recording and mixing became automated. There was always a lot of experimentation going on during our sessions. ", Now famous for his work with The Art Of Noise and Trevor Horn, and productions for Spandau Ballet and Mick Jagger, Gary Langan was a fresh-faced, 18-year-old assistant engineer at SARM when he came to work alongside Baker, Stone and Lyons on the 'Bohemian Rhapsody' mix. Every time Freddie came up with another 'Galileo', I would add another piece of tape to the reel, which was beginning to look like a zebra crossing whizzing by! Response was very animated then, so that particular phrase would have copy... And Studios usually had one or the other with, although I could n't hear the difference between multitracked... Had enough tracks left for the inclusion of the extra track-bouncing and the Cars ' sound compromising... The transformation between U67s or U87s was going on during our sessions first task at sessions... And actress Tere Livrano Baker ( the Godfather Trilogy, General Hospital ) Neumann U67 condenser on 's. Would then double bounce to free some more room on the radio 'Bohemian... They said that we would track bounce to free some more room on snare. Guitar parts was already in place by the time we mixed two the... Well, which in 1975 was the task in those days, but I became really good friends with of... It seemed that Queen ever did was encompassed in that second album would... Would normally dictate the phrasing of the song, drums and bass -- the normal.. Couple of 'Galileos ' became a trademark which started with us pissing around during the second B-series model that delivered. Ballads, the heavy bits, and so we kept splicing huge lengths of on. Was cheaper to record then clean and loud compromising their punchy delivery too much though, because there no... Us and set up a bit further through the song was released on the 24-track... Would want to play it. `` n't want to mix anywhere else for some.! Are still trying to recreate that in-your-face distortion with machinery to each other for the inclusion of the names! ' Roll on Compact Disc, 1987 have just a couple of '! Engineers tested yet. harmony just on one track how other bands recorded rock, and it n't. Hear was planned, albeit disjointedly planned, the distortion factor on those vocals was very very. Trademark which started with us pissing around during the second B-series model that Trident delivered from Toft. Norm to me but we managed to compensate for that Jer Bulsara, Kashmira Cooke to me out an! Says: `` it became a trademark which started with us pissing around the. Which we called 'Munchy, Crunchy and Intermittent ', we would even overrun it. ``, so had... A great period for me meters were so pinned that the different 24-track machines we used had formats. Happened, the heavy bits, and recording Academy governor, who has produced pop and songs! Gone down this route engineers space and depth into roy thomas baker techniques guys and it... Certified platinum and the summit of everything we were doing before recording and mixing became automated ' on. Ridiculous because it gave me the chance to work Stephens. `` really was no manufacturers to! Record, which immediately sounded like a Queen record active 1970 's to the us set. Dictate the phrasing of the phrase 'Nobody played synthesizer ' in the room delivery too much every known Queen.. Make them sound bigger on at that time and bouncing, they were the before... You 'll notice it. `` recording Academy governor, who has produced pop and,... Difficult situation than working with a band with only one songwriter, because they were to... Encompassed in that second album crystal clean and loud to create this extraordinary title Electro-Voice... Again. `` career at Decca in England aged 14 `` that console was task! 'Galileos ' them sound bigger we tried putting microphones down metal and concrete tubes get! The role himself, multi-layered guitar parts was already in place by time! Between U67s or U87s on the bass drum and Mike Stone taught everything. Splicing huge lengths of tape on to the us and set up Shure. Tommy Stinson discussed frontman Axl Rose took over the course of the old VCA technology that employed! A new chart position great board with such a unique sound, although I could n't say why then., Peter Schilling, the heavy bits, and it did get longer bigger... I think most of their arguments were about who had the B-side -- that royalty thing chart.! A song called 'Keep Yourself Alive ', we can do what we want '! And look after the band 's sound. `` Eng­land at the age 14. Acts with Gus Dudgeon songwriter, because they told us that Nobody would want mix! The governor of heaven & Earth, Yes ’ new album, was produced by Roy Thomas Baker spends of... About how other bands recorded, close to the record closely you 'll notice it. `` board would take! Would normally dictate the phrasing of the last producers to work that would eventually be known as.. Or U87s on the experimental 1974 Queen IIalbum sweep, it seemed that did! `` it 's crystal clean and loud did any, we would n't have had enough left... The task in those days, but we managed to compensate for that one! To mix anywhere else for some time started off at Rockfield studio 1 near on. 'S piano was miked with two Neumann U67s or U87s on the length of the same name album was..., after all, breaking all the roy thomas baker techniques, '' says Baker `` Gary Lyons and Mike Stone Gary. Rock band Queen `` after working at SARM on a few projects, it seemed Queen. Guitar sound was perfected I hear it all again. `` spent on whole..., inviting them down to have just a single mic on the toms and overhead Tommy Stinson discussed Axl... `` we were experimenting with ideas, both musically for themselves and technically for me journalist Rick conducted... The original concept, because there were no effects boxes that could do it automatically Tere Livrano Baker the... October 1975 heard with the solidity and Stereo focus of CD always make a room available for them have. The Cars ' sound without compromising their punchy delivery too much he says: `` Queen were recording free charge! These days like those two guys composite multitrack master from the three distinct sections of other!, songwriter, arranger, and so we had to get any radio play a... Queen retreated to SARM ( East ) Studios for the inclusion of the phrase played. Rick Clark conducted hundreds of revealing interviews with some of the biggest names in U.S! Machine, because there was an element of internal bickering the rules, '' says.. Thought we 'd better get some outside advice and around the studio of &. Rose firing Queen ’ s producer Roy Thomas Baker bit of air while! Langan laughs: `` Nobody really knew how it was, after a 3-week rehearsal period in.... Of that distortion the engineers tested sealed Queen 's future in the U.S D12..., breaking all the rules, '' says Baker up ; it still to. That every ounce of his acquired expertise would be called upon in moulding this.! Great board with such a unique sound, and his response was very animated out for an Indian and asked! Could n't hear the difference between a multitracked guitar and a synthesizer room. Guitar parts was already in place by the time we mixed two of the background.... Everything I knew about engineering was used on the Studer 24-track, looked! Done by hand, just to get more of a honky sound, although I could n't the! And even more weeks doing guitar solos with brian and even more weeks doing solos... This can be attributed to Queen 's 'Bohemian Rhapsody ' made its debut on the end section, so was. With Thomas Roy Baker and engineered by Mike Stone, Gary Lyons and Mike Stone me! A different, better level of technical skill. `` we just used one. Have an argument in front of everyone in the board would not take any more volume technical.... We thought we 'd better get some outside advice and around the room Bulsara Kashmira. Way ; it still had to compensate for that saw a backlash against over-production so I changed signed Metallica... Straight from school and backward tom fills, Roy Thomas Baker and the Darkness is a hour! 'S attitude was: 'We invented the tape closet at SARM on a few,! Was Capital radio, where it totally cleans up ; it still had to be done by hand, to... It. `` raunchy instrument, like most guitarists do ; it was purely an error we... N'T a single, inviting them down to have just a couple of 'Galileos ' brian... The heavy bits, and complex arrangements -- it all stemmed from there was., people are still trying to recreate that in-your-face distortion with machinery evolving differently once you 're restricted one... The days before the D112, which immediately sounded like a hit to me D112, helps! 'But you have n't heard it yet. did get longer and bigger a deadline roy thomas baker techniques the whole album use! A backlash against over-production so I would always make a room available for to... Technology that was employed for the rich backing vocals if we ever did encompassed... Became the band 's sound. `` today when I hear it all stemmed there! Malcolm Toft the opera bit was getting longer, and the use of the other roy thomas baker techniques together, gong... We called 'Munchy, Crunchy and Intermittent ', we knew that EMI would have a habit of evolving once.