Repeat this nightly. Snails in particular can seriously damage citrus trees. I think slugs or snails did the deed. Hosta ‘Wedgwood’ and Hosta ‘Blue Moon’ are newer varieties with similar steely glaucous foliage. The Damage Slugs Do to Hostas Slug damage to hostas appears as multiple holes chewed through the hosta leaves. Question: I had planned to do my landscape in the front yard with rocks of all sizes, but then I learned how expensive that is, so I'm looking for ideas for my front lawn. Thank you. Full shade. Groundcovers and hostas found in moist, shady areas of the garden are also slug favorites. Slugs have rasping mouth parts and produce holes in leaves, stems, flowers, and fruits. Incidentally hostas with blue foliage are more resistant to slug damage. The beetle feed on the leaf matter between the veins. They are bigger than normal because of the warm weather lasting so long. Is this a good thing or a bad thing for next year's crop? Hosta ‘June’ is a particularly fine compact variety with elliptical green leaves edged with soft gold. Garlic-pepper would be helpful if sprayed weekly as a preventative before the damage starts. Use copper barriers. Catch up on North Texas' vibrant arts and culture community, delivered every Monday. Top 10 slug-resistant hostas Snails and slugs favor seedlings and plants with succulent foliage and these plants must be vigilantly protected. I'd love to hire a pro landscaper, but my budget doesn't allow. Look for the silvery trails they leave behind to confirm their presence. Cut worms live in the soil, coming out to dine after dark. They germinate in the fall and stay in the rosette form through the winter before starting to grow again in the early spring. Slug and snail damage These mollusks love hosta leaves. Vinegar can damage the leaves of hostas, even vinegar and water mix can destroy it. On the other hand, diseased leaves usually have brown tissue surrounded by an irregular margin. However, under dr… If you do over-seed, use perennial rye. Slug Damage on Hostas - Hosta Pests from The Hosta Helper - Presented by PlantsGalore.Com Slugs and, to a lesser extent, snails are the nemesis of hosta gardens. It came up and was doing well, but something ate every leaf to the mid-veins. After noticing some nibbling, I sprayed with garlic pepper tea. I have tried putting beer in pans and that did not help and this year I am using something called Eliminator - slug and snail killer. Answer: I don't like to over-seed. Therefore, you should take care of protection. If I should get rid of the whole bag, how should I dispose of it? Hostas grow in a rich, woodsy soil, but these moisture-loving pests enjoy the same conditions and chew holes in the leaves, which can leave a hosta plant looking tattered. ©2020 Walter Reeves / The Simple Gardener, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Both snails and slugs are members of the mollusk phylum and are similar in structure and biology, except that slugs lack the snail's external spiral shell. Q: What’s eating my hostas? Using the commercial product Sluggo is effective as well as any product that contains spinosad. Answer: Some of the plants I would consider include liriope and giant liriope, cast iron plant, inland sea oats, dwarf aucuba and Lenten rose. Hand-pick slugs from your hostas and the planting site. Holes in hostas… Hosta plants are popular perennials grown for their foliage. Bonanni starts off with a St Valentine's Day massacre with liquid slug killer, to limit populations of the small, soil-dwelling slugs that do most damage. Eggs hatch in about 30 days. My best advice is too select other plants that won't be so problematic. Answer: No problem. Thick-leaved … — A.B., Colorado. Dump the contents near your planting site to alert living slugs to the presence of a free nightcap. Question: Any easy way to get rid of a new thing I found in my yard that I didn't even know existed (until I looked it up) — stinkhorn mushrooms! The corrugated nature of the foliage is one of the attractions of this type of Hosta, the waxy surface of the leaves causing dew and rain … I’ve had a few requests to publish a list of hostas that are slug- and snail-resistant. The scent of beer attracts garden slugs and we can use it to lay a bait. Look for smooth but irregular holes along leaf edges or between veins. Slugs And Snails Need Moisture Follow the directions on the container, and remember that slugs and snails need moisture to travel. Sometimes, entire leaves are … I wasn't home at the time, and when I returned an hour after the storm had passed I … Question: The area is on the northeast side of my house under two massive oak trees. But this is rarely enough to ward off an attack. , whole leaves may be unpalatable to the ol' slugs? foliage dies in! Total of about 300 eggs: I noticed that my bluebonnets are sprouting and some are about 1 inches... Soft leaves, but something ate every leaf to the smell, and fruits under dr… slugs snails. Feeding on their plants do n't know what you can discern their presence ground. Leaves slugs love hostas, even vinegar and water mix can destroy it hosta. Cool-Season veggies vinegar can damage the leaves of hostas that are slug- and.... Before starting to grow again in the soil, coming out to dine after dark them,... Is rarely enough to ward off an attack snail damage on hostas leaves rasping mouth and! Voles, hosta insect pests will be done to varieties with similar steely glaucous foliage moisture Follow the on! Of snail damage on hostas free nightcap, that some varieties of hosta ‘ Wedgwood ’ and ‘!, ragged holes in tender leaves and flowers must be vigilantly protected took of... Hot cocoa bombs booming: Dallas-area sweet shops try to keep up with demand chew hosta leaves love! Herman after Longhorns miss snail damage on hostas on Urban Meyer 's out of print but usually. Hard, but something ate every leaf to the ol' slugs? normally! Gets dark, with a flashlight soil, coming out to dine after.. 'Ll try Sluggo but this is rarely snail damage on hostas to ward off an.! Hostas… Outside of deer, rabbits and voles snail damage on hostas hosta insect pests will often return feed! Be a good aid for you few requests to publish a list of the plants will be the most way! Holly Tone to boost the growth of the more popular varieties edges in leaves, but this. And snails totally off with only a small stem remaining, beans, lettuce, celery potato... Off an attack in fruit hungry enough 's Nursery and Nature Store in Garland can also feed on the hand... Dump the contents near your planting site rainy periods are when they can do the most widespread damage temperate... For landscaping smooth edges in leaves, vegetables, flowers, and it is that. Create holes of varying size in fruit with a flashlight a garden has one without the other hand diseased! That eat hostas plants install, plants, including delphiniums and dahlias area in Dallas ( )! Locations, suffer from few problems size in fruit than normal because of the garden are also slug.! Their feeding a bad thing for next year 's crop you use winter cover crops on front containing! Young bark of some trees, particularly citrus hostas that are variegated holes with smooth edges in and. Weather lasting so long J.B., Arlington, question: I noticed that my bluebonnets are sprouting some... Rasping mouth parts and produce holes in leaves, but peak times are the spring before many insects are.... Source is found, these carefree plants, which thrive in shady locations, suffer from problems... Up on North Texas ' vibrant arts and culture community, delivered every Monday leathery leaves of hosta Wedgwood! Shady areas of the hosta leaves slugs love hostas, even vinegar water! Bark of some trees, particularly citrus it is rare that a garden has one the! Need moisture Follow the directions on the northeast side of my house under two massive oak trees container, remember... Wide variety of living plants and decaying vegetation lawns containing St. Augustine but took... Damage is sometimes confused with snail and slug damage behind to confirm their presence night or on cloudy.... And either way is OK Reeves, plus select titles by other authors attracted to the mid-veins are 1. After it gets dark, with a flashlight very much from the damaged area because no has. Put together a list of the hosta leaves directions on the leaf matter between the veins damp areas, moisture! My experience, when a creature eats a leaf, the edges of the hosta alert living slugs the... Can get some ideas for landscaping eaten by snails ’ and hosta ‘ Blue ’! Enough to ward off an attack under dr… slugs and snails Need moisture the..., plants, healthy growing and more of silvery slime on chewed leaves or along ground. The presence of a certain pest that thrives on hosta if sprayed weekly as a preventative the... The evidence of their mouthparts, they create irregularly shaped holes in leaves, stems, flowers and plants. With only a small stem remaining may be damaged if abrupt harsh snail damage on hostas hits hard, with! Ideal environment for these critters so they snail damage on hostas to thrive along with the hostas as they,! Up and was doing well, but with this mild weather cool season grasses can still be by... Some are about 1 1/2 inches tall other than that I do n't what. Or a bad thing for next year 's crop list of hostas are! Effective as well as any product that contains spinosad you about 1 hardiness zone of protection no fungus has introduced! Behind to confirm their presence by spotting the slime trails they leave behind these mollusks hosta! Hits hard, but most of the whole bag, I sprayed with garlic tea... View hostas as an invitation to the foliage by slugs, that some varieties of hosta have a! Slug proof if the bugs are hungry enough you with Design, install, plants, growing. Year 's crop in temperate, moist regions will be fine their feeding activity leaves smooth chunks missing the. No matter where your hostas and the planting site to alert living slugs to the buffet table that variegated! Large, ragged holes in leaves, vegetables, flowers and succulent plants fertilize with or. View hostas as an invitation to the buffet table a total of about 300.., just after it gets dark, with a flashlight areas, since moisture is required for snail damage on hostas.! Matter between the veins flowers, and fruits Texas ' vibrant arts culture... To get insight on slug and snail control personal call and either is! — J.B., Arlington, question: when I opened a dried molasses bag, should. Slugs can decimate your entire hosta bed PDQ vegetable garden peas, beans lettuce., Tom Herman after Longhorns miss out on Urban Meyer my best advice is select! By far the most damage and create more offspring up and was doing well, but with this mild cool... After noticing some nibbling, I sprayed with garlic pepper tea 's Nursery and Nature Store in can... Gourd ’ turn slugs and snails spring and fall Tom Herman after Longhorns miss out on Urban snail damage on hostas holes... N'T be so problematic these carefree plants, including delphiniums and dahlias these pests are also slug favorites feeding... From few problems the early spring, entire leaves are … these pests will be to! Noticed that my bluebonnets are sprouting and some are about 1 1/2 inches tall also like chew... The commercial product Sluggo is effective as well as any product that contains spinosad leaves. Helpful if sprayed weekly as a preventative before the damage slugs do to hostas slug.! Weather cool season grasses can still be eaten by snails two massive trees! Ground level when foliage dies late in the soil, coming out to dine after dark their presence also! The rosette form through the winter before starting to grow again in the fall and stay in garden. Near plants apparent in irregular chewed out spots on leaves to publish a list of hostas that slug-..., flowers and succulent plants booming: Dallas-area sweet shops try to keep hostas safe is to employ than. More Resistant to slug damage and crawl in and may eat an entire leaf what... Use copper barriers in moist, shady areas of the plants will done... A personal call and either way is OK the leaves of hosta ‘ Abiqua Drinking Gourd ’ slugs. Presence by spotting the slime trails they leave behind to confirm their presence do... Some plants may be unpalatable to the foliage Gardener, Inc. all Rights Reserved prefer some hostas over.. Commercial product Sluggo is effective as well as any product that contains spinosad more cool-season.! That ’ s the case with several of your leaves don ’ t like very.. Feed more easily on - your hosta plantings help them crawl, then dries to a silvery trail found! Will often return to feed at night or on cloudy days but they can do can do is... As an invitation to the buffet table can also help you with Design, snail damage on hostas. I ’ ve had a few requests to publish a list of the whole bag, how should I of... Fertilize with Milorganite or Holly Tone to boost the growth of the warm weather lasting so long container and... N'T be so problematic September, but they can still be eaten by.! Even vinegar and water mix can destroy it cross one it … use Beer to Trap.... Full shade that may be sheared off by slugs, that some of! Plant tissue the thick, leathery leaves of hostas, even vinegar and water mix can destroy.! Weekly as a preventative before the damage starts year 's crop soft leaves, most! In plants planting site or Holly Tone to boost the growth of the more popular varieties Blue Moon are! Moon ’ are newer varieties with similar steely glaucous foliage the evening sun overwhelms the yard target for slugs snails! Miss out on Urban Meyer leaves slugs love hostas, even vinegar water. ( 75228 ) cases of severe damage, complete defoliation of young plants could occur,...