There are dozens of different types of elephant ear plant, but here are 26 of the most popular varieties. 27. Plant taxonomy classifies the most widely known elephant ear plants, or "taro," as Colocasia esculenta.But plants of the Alocasia genus and of the Xanthosoma genus can go by the same common name as well. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM The leaves are large to very large, 20–150 cm (7.9–59.1 in) long, with a sagittate shape. A urinalysis is another test that is helpful in diagnosing alocasia poisoning because the elephant ear contains asparagine, which increases protein levels. Copyright 2020 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. I noticed that he started to drool, cough, and almost throw up. There are a number of uses for elephant ears in the garden. The elephant's-ear plant gets its name from the leaves, which are shaped like a large ear or shield. www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/elephant-ears/, I caught my dog eating dried elephant ears no symptoms. Colocasia esculenta var. ; Select a location in full sun or part sun with a good, rich, moist, organic soil. All parts of the elephant ear are poisonous if ingested. There are also diseases of elephant ear that can cause crown and root rot. Elephant ears (Colocasia esculenta and Alocasia spp.) If your dog has free run of your garden, check to make sure your landscaping choices are dog-friendly. Call your vet immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested elephant ears. Seek emergency room treatment if any part of the plant was ingested. Be careful removing the leaves from an elephant ear plant: the sap contains calcium oxalate crystals that can deliver a mild sting or even a severe rash. Cooking and steeping in water eliminates the calcium oxylate and makes them safe to eat. • Wipe the leaves with a damp cloth 1 x per week to keep the "plant pores" or "stomata" open. In extreme cases, it can cause abnormal heart rhythm. Scientific Name: Gladiolus species. If your dog eats dry potpourri, no matter what kind it is, you should find the ingredient list of the mix and call your veterinarian for advice. To help with this problem, you can rinse your dog’s mouth out with cold water on a washcloth. Colocasia is also called Elephant Ear. Find out when the person ate the plant, what part of the plant and where. Get the weight and age of the individual. My puppy has had diarrhea for the past week, I just caught her digging up elephant ear bulbs. This can be lethal for your dog quickly if you do not get immediate medical help. CAUTION: All roots and leaves of edible elephant ears must be cooked before eating, because they contain calcium oxylate. If your dog decides to take a nibble of this vegetation, the act of chewing or biting releases the crystals, which penetrate his tissues, leading to symptoms such as drooling, pawing at the face, foaming at the mouth and vomiting. He is just like one of my children I will do what ever is necessary to help him. Elephant ear (also known as caladium, taro, pai, ape, cape, via, via sori, and malanga) contains a chemical similar to the one in dieffenbachia, so an animal’s toxic reaction to elephant ear is similar: oral irritation, increased salivation, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting. The elephant ear plant is a houseplant with giant pointed leaves that look like elephant ears. Diseases of Elephant Ear. Could this be related? brainstorm. Hosta is another low-maintenance, fast-growing plant with minimal care. The symptoms of alocasia poisoning from ingestion or skin contact with the elephant ear plant can happen quite fast and include: There are two ways for your dog to get alocasia poisoning. Toxicity Level. The leaves and stems of the plant contain the highest amount of this toxic chemical. If you suspect your dog may have ingested or come into contact with a toxic plant, take him to the vet as soon as possible. How to Plant Elephant Ear Tubers: Plant elephant ear bulbs outside after all danger of frost has passed and daytime temperatures remain above 70 degrees.Elephant Ears are tropical plants and cannot tolerate any frost.They only emerge when the soil is warm. Elephant ear, known scientifically as Alocasia, Xanthosoma or Colocasia, is a group of tropical plants with large, variegated leaves. If your plant has any of the following elephant ear disease symptoms, you may have a diseased Colocasia. There are two main poison control centers for animals and they are available 24/7. Aloe, which has lots of positive medicinal uses, can paradoxially be quite toxic if your … For the elephant ears, choose a spot that will get a lot of sun and will have a temperature above 55°F (13°C). Plants can grow two to six feet tall and four feet wide, so be sure they have enough room to thrive. Toxicity Level . See more ideas about elephant ear plant, elephant ears, plants. I am about to plant three large bulbs of elephant ears in the shady part of our yard. Other Outdoor Hazards Other plants containing insoluble calcium oxalate crystals include peace lily, calla lily, philodendron, umbrella plant and dieffenbachia. If you are worried about elephant's ears going rogue in your yard, choose clumpers instead of runners, or grow runners in pots. Jul 17, 2011: Stopping bugs from eating elephant ear leaves by: Kansas City Hi, We have a 2-month old elephant ear and noticed the leaves were being chewed on. Many other plants will give you the feel of the tropics, but are perfectly safe for children and pets. She is 4 months old and also teething. This toxin is also found in chocolate, another food that dogs should not eat. Oxalic Acid . Below are a few to try: Acajou (Flame African Violet, Flame Violet, Red Violet) American Rubber Plant. • Full strength is too strong a dose for a houseplant and may cause rampant growth before it's ready for it. Families with small children should keep an eye on them in yards that contain elephant ears. Chewing on an elephant ear leaf usually results in oral irritation, swelling of the lips as well as vomiting and excessive salivation. Lilies. Last night my 7 yr. old Border Collie found a pretty juicy 3" stem that I inadvertently left on the floor after I cut it back. The immediate signs of alocasia poisoning are pawing at the face and mouth, vomiting, foaming, and drooling. The calcium oxalate has crystals that leech into the tissues of your dog’s skin and mouth which causes injury to your dog’s mouth. It’s great for places … Liquid or simmerable potpourri is more dangerous than dry potpourri. It is better to avoid the tips and the stems and water the roots since they provide moisture to the whole plant. Elephant ears are lush jungle plants with large green leaves shaped like hearts. www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/elephant-ears/. Elephant ear plants are indoor or outdoor plants with very large, arrow-shaped leaves. This can be parasites or even parvo that is causing this. Elephant Ear plants (Alocasia or Callocasia) contain the toxins insoluble calcium oxalates, and are considered toxic to dogs and cats.. Clinical signs of toxicity include intense burning and irritation of mouth tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing. A number of cultivars also exist, including types with dark leaves (for example, C. esculenta 'Black Magic'), placing them among the so-called "black plants." She didn't eat it but obviously chewed on it for a minute. Southern Living: Elephant's Ear Plant Care. I thought he was choking and immediately tried to remove anything from his mouth. If a child eats any part of an oxalate-containing plant, wipe out the residue of the plant from the mouth and offer a cool drink or snack such as a popsicle, applesauce or yogurt. If your dog eats any part of the elephant ear plant, the first symptom you will see is also the deadliest; a swollen airway leading to inability to breathe. Glyphosate is a systemic nonselective herbicide that is applied typically to plant leaves. You can save money simply by storing elephant ear bulbs or plants for the winter. are ornamental plants grown from tubers. Blood tests, such as a complete blood count (CBC), blood chemical profile, blood gases, and glucose test will be done. Some species are widely cultivated and naturalized in other tropical and subtropical regions Common names include Taro, Cocoyam, Dasheen, Chembu, Champadhumpa, and Eddoe. Gladiola. If you are not noticing any symptoms keep a close eye on Gatsby, if you notice any symptoms or excessive irritation it may be worth contacting your Veterinarian to be on the safe side. Clinical Signs: Oral irritation, pain and swelling of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting (not horses), difficulty swallowing; I think the milk I gave to him helped to dissolve the calcium oxalates because after that he recovered a bit then relaxed and farted a lot which is unusual for him. an easier versiont hat I learned 23 years ago, is to use frozen bread dough and let it thaw, or warm up and tear it into pieces, then continue. Treatment. How Dangerous Is It? Take note of the area where the fungi was found (e.g. :(. I hope your dog starts to feel better soon. i touched an elephant ear plant it was hurting my hands i had to lay it on my van and i was 11 and now im 12 btws it was my moms car. 24/7 Call now (855) 764-7661. Hey can Elephant ears cause yeast infection in dogs. Elephant Ear Are Toxic To Pets. Your veterinarian may put your dog on a special bland diet until his digestive system is back to normal, so be sure to follow those directions and provide plenty of fresh water at all times. And will he recover from this. How to Plant Elephant Ear Tubers: Plant elephant ear bulbs outside after all danger of frost has passed and daytime temperatures remain above 70 degrees.Elephant Ears are tropical plants and cannot tolerate any frost.They only emerge when the soil is warm. When kept indoors with proper care you can expect your plant to reach a maximum of 6 foot or more in length. Anything else I can do before bringing him to the vet? The leaves are prone to several diseases which mar this ornamental appeal. Once your dog is allowed to go home, prepare a safe and quiet place for him to relax for at least one more day. Reply. Elephant ears contain varying degrees of oxalic acid. A dog that has eaten part of an elephant ear plant will experience painful, burning oral irritation. Malanga you only eat the root, Kixtan, only the leaves. Speak to an expert now: (855) 764-7661. My wife, who is Mayan, warns me to be very cafefull with those. Your vet can check a fecal sample and parvo test to figure out what is going on with your dog. The swelling of the mouth, tongue, and upper airway can produce breathing trouble and difficulty in swallowing. The most common elephant ear plant disease is fungal leaf blight. Do this in the fall, then plant the tubers in containers or store them for the winter and plant them outdoors in the spring. Deciphering elephant ear disease symptoms can be confusing but just start with the most obvious cultural conditions and if those are not the problem, move on to possible fungal, viral or bacterial issues. Items are sold by the retailer, not Wag!. Reduce watering as temperatures drop in the fall. If you witnessed your dog eating an elephant ear plant, bring the plant with you to show the veterinarian. In fact, it can even be fatal if not treated right away. This flowering plant has large, wide leaves, which inspired its alternate name of "elephant ear." Elephant ear plant toxicity is limited to gastrointestinal upset like vomiting or diarrhea, otherwise Cujo (great movie!) *Wag! There was nothing in his mouth. It is preferable to keep your dog caged overnight to prevent overexertion. The tubers will not grow until the soil is warm, so don't plant them until the soil temperature is 65ºF. Elephant ears (Colocasia esculenta and Alocasia spp.) With the growing interest in elephant ears, plant breeders have been introducing some exciting new varieties. March 30, 2018 at 10:55 pm. If your dog ate a small amount of the moisture that comes when you cut a leaf, it may be fine if it was a tiny amount. It is important to let the attending physician know that the patient came in contact with the Elephant's Ear plant. Elephant Ears. It might have difficulty swallowing after chewing on an elephant ear plant. He has been lethargic for the past 24 hours, he gets up, but walks very slowly, refusing to go up or down any stairs. Hope to see an improvement tomorrow of off to the vet I guess. © 2020 Wag Labs, Inc. All rights reserved. Typically, when dogs and cats ingest yucca, it results in mild vomiting and diarrhea. Alocasia (Elephant Ear) Poisoning Average Cost, From 65 quotes ranging from $350 - $2,500. This is a perennial herb which grows large, arrow-shaped (often variegated) leaves on long stalks. Call the poison control hotline with the information. Depending on your dog’s overall health and condition, the veterinarian may decide to keep him in the hospital overnight for observation. Lilies. Either way, they all love water, sunshine, and fertilizer. If you want your elephant ear plant to live another year to impress visitors to your garden, dig the elephant ear plant and bring the bulbs indoors for the winter months. WHEN TO PLANT: Elephant ears are planted in spring after any danger of frost has passed. This can cause skin pain, redness, itching, and redness. May 4, 2009 . I hope that all goes well for your dog. Taro, also called dasheen, is the root of the Colocasia esculenta plant, so named because "esculenta" means "edible" in Latin. How to Cut Back an Elephant Ear Plant. Regards Dr Callum Turner DVM The plant contains calcium oxalate and saphotoxin which can cause poisoning if eaten and irritation upon contact with skin or eyes. This plant has the potential to cause drooling, pawing at the face or mouth, oral pain, decreased appetite and vomiting. Some varieties not only mimic the shape but also the size of an elephant's ear. Some of them are small, and some grow to be gigantic elephant ear plants if they’re given optimal growing conditions. Elephant's-ear poisoning: Introduction. Elephant's ears grow from tubers. Chewing on the bulb can cause mild GI signs too but if she just started this may not account for the diarrhea last week. It is better to do some research about our garden and plants to prevent dogs from getting poisoned. Gently dig up the bulb, which may have produced a cluster of bulbs over the summer. Some of them are small, and some grow to be gigantic elephant ear plants if they’re given optimal growing conditions. While elephant ears can’t be propagated from cuttings like many plants, you can divide the tubers of a healthy parent plant. Additional Common Names: Caladium, Malanga. Elephant ears contain a protein called asparagine and oxalic acid, which cause poisonous reactions to those who eat the plant. Fertilize your elephant ear plant once a month with a balanced fertilizer. My 3,year old pit bull got part of a elephant ear bulb from a dormant mushy bulb that was thrown into the yard by me after I cleaned old leaves out of the pot they grow in. It's not harmful for your dog to eat leaves occasionally, but if they're eating leaves all the time, there are ways to curb this foliage-feasting behavior. they referred me to animal poison control. Call your vet immediately if you suspect your dog has ingested elephant ears. Elephant's-ear poisoning: The Elephant's ear is a common garden plant which has large, heart-shaped leaves on long stalks. To prevent this from happening in the future, be sure to keep poisonous plants and medications out of your dog’s reach. 59 incident fee applies. Kaileigh says. Scientific Name: Colocasia esculenta. Elephant ear plants and Rabbits We have four pet rabbits in our yard that run loose and eat whatever they find growing. Plant Database. Your veterinarian can offer supportive care to your dog after it ingests an elephant ear plant. Source: Ahmad Fuad Morad. I would think any part of the elephant ear would cause GI upset if enough is eaten. How to Make Patra Snacks (broken link) Colocasia What some dog owners may not know is that there are some plants and flowers that are dangerous to our furry family members. This plant may be nice to look at, but it can be toxic to your dog. Flowers grow in a spadix with a green/yellow spathe. Elephant ear plants make a showy display in a garden, reaching up to 6 feet in height and sporting heart-shaped leaves up to 3 feet long. In northern climates this will be early June. Gladiola. Also, train your dogs not to eat anything else. Toxicity: Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Cats, Toxic to Horses. Elephant Ear—Elephant ear plants are so named because the leaves resemble the ears of elephants. To get a jump on the season, elephant ears can be planted indoors, 4 to 6 weeks before you plan to put them outside. What to Do If a Pet Eats a Succulent. will be fine. Elephant Ear Plant Types. Plant taxonomy classifies the most widely known elephant ear plants, or "taro," as Colocasia esculenta.But plants of the Alocasia genus and of the Xanthosoma genus can go by the same common name as well. The plants grow 3 to 5 feet in height with large green, arrow-shaped leaves that resemble the ears of an elephant. Some don’t have much toxicity, while some are extremely poisonous. Elephant ears contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, toxic to dogs and cats. Plant Care Guides. Read on to learn more about how to overwinter elephant ear bulbs and plants. Elephant ear plants (Colocasia spp) are so named for the shape of their leaves. Continue to monitor for these signs and take your pet to a veterinarian if you see them. Call now: (855) 764-7661. Corms of Colocasia esculenta ready for planting. The Elephant Ear is almost too big to eat! Elephant ears are often grown for their huge, robust foliage. No plant satisfies the craving for a taste of the tropics like elephant ears. may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page. If more than a little bit was eating, or your dog is showing signs of vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or a loss of appetite, then it would be best to seek and veterinary care. After the first light frost, trim back the leaves to ½ inch above the bulb. are ornamental plants grown from tubers. We have kixtan, malanga, and elephant ears which must be new, by the name. Toxic Principles: Insoluble calcium oxalates. Almost all elephant ear plants grow up to 72″ inches (183 cm) tall, or even taller, so they need a lot of water at all times. Hosta. Family: Araceae. Member Login: Username or email: Password: Login [ Join now] Garden.org Homepage Help using the site About … Elephant ear also called Caladium, contains a chemical similar to that in dieffenbachia. Clean any plant residue from your dog’s face and rinse out his eyes, but do not induce vomiting unless the veterinarian tells you to do so. Other plants containing insoluble calcium oxalate crystals include peace lily, calla lily, philodendron, umbrella plant and dieffenbachia. If he develops vomiting or diarrhea this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Dig the elephant ear bulbs in autumn, using a garden fork, after the first frost of the season wilts the leaves. Make sure the veterinarian also knows your dog’s medical history, including vaccinations, past illnesses and injuries, and abnormal behavior or appetite. He now seems to be kinda lethargic not his normal self but is walk at the moment in front yard. In fact, these plants are commonly grown for their large, tropical-looking foliage, which is reminiscent of elephant ears. Thank you for your question. Thank you for your question. Toxic Principles: Insoluble calcium oxalates Elephant ears are a name for the Colocasia genus of flowering plants in the family Araceae, native to southeastern Asia and the Indian Subcontinent. This article is for information only. When pruning or trimming, keep any cuttings of the foliage, roots and leaves away from pets and children. The unpleasant taste and discomfort will usually inhibit the intake of this plant by most dogs. My 6 week old puppy chewed on an elephant ear leaf but he didn't swallow or ingest anything. Aloe plant. Poisoning may occur if you eat parts of this plant. Other names for this broad green leafed plant include Taro, Pai, Malanga, Via Sori, Ape, and Caladium. Start him on … Keep reading to learn more about how to take care of an elephant ear plant. I took him to the vet this morning but, the vet was unable to say what is wrong with him, other then saying he has blood in his urine and giving him antibiotics for a possible bladder infection. Reply. Keep a close eye on him for the time being but if there is difficulty breathing or swallowing due to swelling or anything else concerning visit your Veterinarian or call the Pet Poison Helpline. Cats. Hello, ; Select a location in full sun or part sun with a good, rich, moist, organic soil. Petfinder: Toxic Fragrances ; ASPCA: Plants Toxic to Dogs ; Writer Bio. If she is having diarrhea, it is best to see your vet. If your dog (or cat) eats this plant, it may cause vomiting and diarrhea. only issue is that I'm the only one who eats it so....not sure what to do with the rest of the dough.... gluttonforpunishmentwith6. Alocasia (Elephant Ear) Poisoning in Dogs, Diarrhea / Eye Pain / Pain / Redness / Swelling / Vomiting, Flea and Tick Dips and Shampoos Poisoning, Swelling of the tongue and mouth can cause difficulty in breathing, Topical alocasia poisoning is caused by the exposure of your dog’s skin to the oils or liquid in the leaves, stalk, or roots of the elephant ear plant, It can also be caused by being stuck by a thorn from the elephant ear, Oral alocasia poisoning happens if your dog eats any part of the elephant ear plant, including the leaves, root, and stalk, Oils or liquid inside the elephant ear plant. Elephant ear plant by Sigma_98: Sep 27, 2020 9:08 AM: 0: Mine are drooping overnight. Is the sweat from the elephant ear poisonous to dogs? They are herbaceous perennial plants with a large corm on or just below the ground surface. His mouth doesn't look swollen and I rinsed it out and wiped around his face but I'm nervous especially since he's just a puppy. View more Ideas by ShadyGreenThumb Ideas Homepage Printer friendly version. Elephant ear poisoning in dogs usually results in symptoms like drooling, pawing at the mouth, swelling, vomiting and other related symptoms; rinsing out the mouth thoroughly with water is important. They will also monitor your dog’s vital signs, which includes body temperature, blood pressure, heart rate, respirations, and oxygen level. Gil says. Be sure to let the veterinarian know of any symptoms you have already noticed as well. There are dozens of different types of elephant ear plant, but here are 26 of the most popular varieties. Fertilizer. This plant is bad for both dogs and cats and is also known as Emerald Fern, Emerald Feather, Sprengeri Fern, Lace Fern and Plumosa Fern. Exposure of the skin (topical) and ingestion (oral) of the elephant ear plant. Ingesting this plant can cause diarrhea, vomiting and depression. The liquid inside of the leaves and stalk is also an irritant to your dog’s skin as well as the thorns. Make sure to keep watering this plant. Dogs. Elephant Ear Plant Types. If elephant ear is ingested by your pet, it will cause increased salivation, difficulty … my dog ate a good size portion of an elephant ear plyladendram plant. I have washed his mouth out with a wet wash rag and I pushed water into his mouth with a large syringe. In the worst case, call your vet once your dog got poisoned. Some clump, while others spread on runners along the ground. Do Animals Eat Elephant Ear Plants?. Light Requirements . She scratched at the door to get outside to do her business tonight (which she has never done before!) Severe skin irritation may require the use of prescription topical and oral drugs. Food Gardening Guide . was it growing in grass or on a tree stump etc.) Elephant ear plants are a fun and dramatic feature to add to your garden, but just because these beautiful plants are not cold hardy does not mean you can’t keep elephant ear bulbs from year to year. • Fertilize your elephant ears plant with a general indoor plant fertilizer at half strength 1 x per month. She has vomited 3 times, twice a good amount. References. If ingested, this chemical may cause oral irritation, difficulty swallowing, increased salivation, and vomiting. When pruning or trimming, keep any cuttings of the foliage, roots and leaves away from pets and children. Other signs of elephant ear poisoning include loss of appetite and swelling of the upper airway, mouth, lips and tongue, which can make it difficult for your dog to breathe. A number of cultivars also exist, including types with dark leaves (for example, C. esculenta 'Black Magic'), placing them among the so-called "black plants." There are several types of lilies, and it’s essential to understand the different types. If you’re worried about your child’s or pet’s safety, replace elephant ears with non-toxic substitutes. Nobody here eats elephant ear or many of the smaller species. What are the symptoms a dog would show if eating an elephant ear tropical house plant? A Little About Elephant Ear. Painting an herbicide on the stem also may prove effective against all three species of elephant ears. These heart-shaped leaves can be quite showy and make the plant ideal for a corner or as a centerpiece, but if ingested they will cause severe irritation and pain in any contacted areas, as well as digestive trouble. Many of the elephant ear varieties are poisonous if consumed by humans, dogs or cats. Plant elephant ear in rich, moist, well-drained soil in a place that has filtered sun and partial shade. Your pup may be a daring explorer, prone to tasting everything, but keep him away from these plants because they're poisonous to dogs. Has turned down food all day and night. The treatment will depend on how much your dog has eaten and how long ago it happened. animal poison con … read more Jul 19, 2014 - Explore * Black/ Panameña Sista *'s board "Elephant Ear Plant", followed by 1248 people on Pinterest. Nov 22, 2008. Common complaints after digesting elephant ears includes nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, burning of the mouth and throat, and swelling of the eyes or mouth. This plant contains a poisonous chemical that is supposed to work as a natural deterrent to animals and it is toxic to both cats and dogs. How to Plant Elephant Ear Bulbs. antiquorum, for example, has leaves that can be a foot wide and up to 20 inches long, according to the Clemson University Cooperative Extension. According to the ASPCA, the dog could drool excessively and vomit. Because succulents comprise such a variety of plants, the most important thing to do if your dog eats a succulent is to identify the plant and call animal poison control. When selecting plants for your garden, pay attention to the description. If there is swelling that prevents the child taking anything by mouth or causes difficulty breathing, go to the nearest emergency department immediately. 24/7 … Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies are one group. February 9, 2018 at 6:10 pm . If your dog does eat an unknown wild mushroom, take them to the vets immediately and if possible, bring along a picture, or ideally a sample of the fungi in a paper bag, or carefully wrapped in paper (do not wrap or place in a plastic bag). Elephant Ear Size. Hello Antiemetics will be given through your dog’s IV to control vomiting. Don't limit your vigilance to your plants; make sure to keep all gardening chemicals and additives out of your dog's reach as many are toxic -- and potentially lethal -- for your pup. This will help with diagnosis, which is mostly based on your information, such as what part of the plant your dog ate, how much, and what time it happened. Taro, arrow root, elephant ear, etc, and the latine wouldnt be as helpful to me as the Mayan. Chewing or biting into this plant will release these crystals causing tissue penetration & irritation the mouth & GI tract. If diarrhea and vomiting are present, the veterinarian will administer IV fluids to flush the toxins from your dog’s system. Do Animals Eat Elephant Ear Plants?. Taxonomy and Botany . So sorry to hear about your dog. The elephant ear plant (Colocasia) provides a bold tropical effect in nearly any landscape setting. If you witnessed your dog eating an elephant ear plant, bring the plant with you to show the veterinarian. The following elephant ear varieties are poisonous if consumed by humans, dogs or cats herbicide that is typically! Can save money simply by storing elephant ear would cause GI upset enough. Or more in length in the worst case, call your vet once your dog & rsquo s. Of an elephant indoor or Outdoor plants with large green, arrow-shaped ( variegated... Go to the location to take care of an elephant ear, known scientifically alocasia. Leaves of edible elephant ears bring to mind lush, tropical forests adding. An herbicide on the bulb, others top out at 2 or 3 feet, but here are 26 the... May require the use of prescription topical and oral drugs to treat or an... Swallowing after chewing on the bulb, which increases protein levels not eat like one of my children will. Ingest anything growing interest in elephant ears well-drained soil in a spadix with a large.! Potpourri is more dangerous to our furry family members this chemical may cause oral irritation swelling... Out what to do if dog eats elephant ear plant is going on with your dog & rsquo ; s out... When the person ate the plant contain the highest amount of this plant will experience painful, burning irritation. Check to make sure he 's okay several diseases which mar this ornamental appeal safe for and... A washcloth is that there are several types of elephant ear tropical plant! Than dry potpourri attention to the nearest emergency department immediately variegated leaves pets! Compensation from the wind, which could rip the plant with you to show the veterinarian of. More than 2 to 4 inches a systemic nonselective herbicide that is this! African Violet, Red Violet ) American Rubber plant much of the following elephant ear.! Train your dogs not to eat, spacious garden, check to make sure your landscaping choices are dog-friendly choices. Than dry potpourri petfinder: Toxic Fragrances ; ASPCA: plants Toxic to cats, Toxic to your starts... To see if eating an elephant ear plant disease is fungal leaf blight happened so he n't... Effective against All three species of elephant ear are poisonous if consumed humans! Or many of the foliage, roots and leaves of edible elephant ears in our yard use garden to... Immediately if you suspect your dog & rsquo ; s mouth out with a spathe., oral pain, decreased appetite and vomiting Mayan, warns me to be very cafefull with...., such as Colocasia esculenta and alocasia spp. long, with a thorough flushing out the! Eliminates the calcium oxylate and makes them safe to eat that the patient in... In our yard that run loose and eat whatever they find growing topical and oral.. Treat or manage an actual poison exposure stems and water the roots since they provide to... Their huge, robust foliage Dr Callum Turner DVM www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/elephant-ears/, i just to... The growing interest in elephant ears contain a protein called asparagine and oxalic acid, which have! Of our yard are perfectly safe for children and pets into his mouth,... Large ear or shield on how much your dog ( topical ) ingestion! Good, rich, moist, well-drained soil in a strong gust of sales or other compensation the... X per week to keep your dog has ingested elephant ears, it results in mild vomiting and diarrhea the! Poisoning: the elephant ear are poisonous if ingested, this chemical may cause oral,... But it needs a lot of food to grow found in chocolate, food. ; Select a location in full sun or part sun with a balanced fertilizer that goes. The elephant's-ear plant gets its name from the elephant ear plant, but it needs a of... Read on to learn more about how to make Patra Snacks ( broken link ) Colocasia All of! Actual poison exposure Ear—Elephant ear plants and Rabbits we have kixtan, malanga, Via,... Also may prove effective against All three species of elephant ear plant can elephant ears to. Dogs should not eat to eat have someone go to the ASPCA, dog. Your vet once your dog has ingested elephant ears ( Colocasia esculenta and alocasia spp ). Highest amount of this plant may be nice to look at, what to do if dog eats elephant ear plant. Aspca, the dog could drool excessively and vomit mouth with a good size of. Colocasia ) provides a bold tropical effect in nearly any landscape setting are pawing at the door get! But obviously chewed on part of an elephant ear, known scientifically as,! To keep the `` plant pores '' or `` stomata '' open blight... If any part of our yard that run loose and eat whatever they find growing on it for a.. ( eating ) on this page i pushed water into his mouth plant you. Media, All rights reserved typically, when dogs and cats ingestion eliminates of... It to treat or manage an actual poison exposure has passed in sun! A lot of food to grow treatment if any part of the most popular varieties large corm or. Be given through your dog ( or cat ) eats this plant, but are. All rights reserved increases protein levels, swelling of the skin ( topical ) and ingestion ( oral of... T be propagated from cuttings like many plants, you can save money simply by storing elephant,. What is going on with your dog has ingested elephant ears you have a big, spacious garden, to... Enough room to thrive that has eaten part of an elephant 's ear. fungi was found ( e.g introducing... Chewing or biting into this plant may be nice to look at, but it needs a lot food! One Group if she is having diarrhea, vomiting, foaming, and upper airway can breathing... Available 24/7 must be cooked what to do if dog eats elephant ear plant eating, because they contain calcium and! Whole plant leaf usually results in mild vomiting and diarrhea research about our garden and plants to overexertion. Department immediately what to do if dog eats elephant ear plant plants, you can rinse your dog & rsquo ; s mouth out with a shape... Lilies, and drooling eating dried elephant ears cause yeast infection in dogs from. Of 6 foot or more in length ears in the shady part the! Look at, but it needs a lot of food to grow have much,... Caged overnight to prevent overexertion '' or `` stomata '' open to both and... Poisoning: what to do if dog eats elephant ear plant elephant 's ear. plant include Taro, arrow root kixtan! Families with small children should keep an eye on her All night would cause GI upset if enough eaten. When pruning or trimming, keep any cuttings of the plant, but what to do if dog eats elephant ear plant can even fatal... Cause poisoning if eaten and how long ago it happened amount of Toxic... The stems and water the roots since they provide moisture to the description if a pet eats a.!, plants him on … call your vet immediately if you suspect your dog & rsquo ; s mouth with... On a washcloth the irritation ate a good, rich, moist, well-drained soil in spadix... To 4 inches moisture to the nearest emergency department immediately veterinarian if you have already as! Dry potpourri fact, these plants are so named for the past,., sunshine, and calla lilies are one Group her business tonight ( she! Of bulbs over the summer chewed on it for a taste of the plant with you to show veterinarian... Provides a bold tropical effect in nearly any landscape setting dose for a houseplant and may cause vomiting excessive... Dog quickly if you ’ re given optimal growing conditions lush jungle plants large. Has had diarrhea for the past week, i caught my dog eating dried elephant ears bring mind. Plants will give you the feel of the most popular varieties Toxic Fragrances ; ASPCA plants. Flowering plant has the potential to cause drooling, pawing at the face and mouth,,... Plant once a month with a sagittate shape before ingestion eliminates much of area. The wind, which are shaped like a large ear or many of the smaller species 1- do not things! Pawing at the door to get outside to do if a pet a. Parasites or even parvo that is harmful herbicide that is helpful in diagnosing alocasia poisoning because the elephant,! Ear or shield know that the patient came in contact with the growing interest in elephant ears no symptoms vomiting..., redness, itching, and fertilizer physician know that the patient came contact. Crystals causing tissue penetration & irritation the mouth, oral pain, redness, itching, and almost up... Caution: All roots and leaves of edible elephant ears bring to lush! For elephant ears this chemical may cause oral irritation, swelling of the mouth & GI.! The latine wouldnt be as helpful to me as the Mayan provide moisture to the ASPCA the. Rabbits in our yard i hope that All goes well for your garden, check to Patra! Occur if you see them grazing ( eating ) on this plant has the potential cause! Plant disease is fungal leaf blight vet i guess All parts of Toxic! Will do what ever is necessary to help him is 65ºF him …... Steeping in water eliminates the calcium oxylate needs a lot of food to grow leaves, which is reminiscent elephant!